Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Lloyd

A-List Customer
have you considered dying the hat if cleaning fails?

If all else fails I'd consider a full blown ink bath for the whole hat and try and get an even color throughout. I did that once with a pair of buff gloves and it worked fairly well. Gloves and hats are not the same but it might be worth it as the absolute last effort.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Lloyd said:
If all else fails I'd consider a full blown ink bath for the whole hat and try and get an even color throughout. I did that once with a pair of buff gloves and it worked fairly well. Gloves and hats are not the same but it might be worth it as the absolute last effort.

I think the ink bath is too extreme since the only color that will truly mask the stains would be black or dark purple. If I thought brown would work I would do it in a heartbeat but I'm sure the stain would still show through that color.

As I said above, sit tight and let's see what my daughter can do with it...for all we know she might come up with a look our fellow straw heads might want to try themselves.

Chainsaw

Suspended
daizawaguy said:
Nice hat chainsaw. Just placed an order for a semi-calado with multi patterned geometric weave on the crown 2 3/8" brim through Panama Bob...received a quick reply as always...Thanks Bob

Cool! I didn't know you could specify weaves, ad that. Thanks for the compliment Dguy.

ccajackson

Familiar Face
WineGuy said:
No weddings, but I really feel the downgrade walking around in my $25 Cuenca...luxury once experienced becomes necessity!

...but wear it like you would the Montecristi, don't apologize for it. Even with the Cuenca, you'll be looking better than most people you pass on the street!

C-C

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
my third from Panama Bob

...and my favorite:

IMG_5897-1.jpg

IMG_5892.jpg

Reactions: DRB

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
WineGuy said:
Yes it was from PB and he spent months tracking it down for me, it was truly a gift considering what I paid for it versus what similar hats regularly retail for. It was 625 wpi and had exceptionally consistant weaving. Art then blocked it and fabricated a gorgeous band in Burgundy from vintage material. The problem is that the stains are right on the front and in full sight which really makes it useless to wear in public. It will simply become my gardening hat now.

Wine Guy ... what a tragedy!!!!!!!!! Of all the hats that I have looked at in this forum that was one of my favorites ... so much so I was considering sending my Monti from Mr. PB to Art for the same type of ribbon treatment ... now I am considering having it done as a tribute to yours :( !! So Sorry!!!

Kk

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Panamabob said:
I sent a Montecristi hat to Cuenca a year or two ago to be bleached white and to eliminate the sulfur smell for a customer. I have yet to see that hat! I wonder where it is!!!!!!

I just a few minutes ago submerged the entire hat in a bath of hydrogen peroxide 3% and I plan to leave it soaking for 12-18 hours. If all goes well the hat overall will be clean again and the ink stains faded to a pale shade of sky blue. Then I need to have it reblocked and a new sweat/hat band installed.

At that point my daughter the artist will take over.

I was planning to send it to Art but I realized the total turn around time could be a month. PB can you recommend some one in NY to do the work? I'm not sure if JJ Hat Center does that kind of repair.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Kkaderly said:
Wine Guy ... what a tragedy!!!!!!!!! Of all the hats that I have looked at in this forum that was one of my favorites ... so much so I was considering sending my Monti from Mr. PB to Art for the same type of ribbon treatment ... now I am considering having it done as a tribute to yours :( !! So Sorry!!!

Kk

Thanks Kkaderly! Go for it...it's a gorgeous color combo for a Montecristi. Make sure you tell Art to use a dark matt Burgundy like in my original photo because a year later I sent him the hat back to repair the band and he ended up replacing it with a shade lighter color that had a slight sheen to it which I did not like as much.

ccajackson

Familiar Face
WineGuy said:
I just a few minutes ago submerged the entire hat in a bath of hydrogen peroxide 3% and I plan to leave it soaking for 12-18 hours. If all goes well the hat overall will be clean again and the ink stains faded to a pale shade of sky blue. Then I need to have it reblocked and a new sweat/hat band installed.

At that point my daughter the artist will take over.

I was planning to send it to Art but I realized the total turn around time could be a month. PB can you recommend some one in NY to do the work? I'm not sure if JJ Hat Center does that kind of repair.

Well, if nothing else, you've learned that your checks are safe when you're using the Mont Blanc ink![huh] Anyone trying to wash/forge your checks are in for a world of frustration.

Thanks for the tips on what did (and mostly didn't) work in the cleaning process.

Good luck!

C-C

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
WineGuy said:
Thanks Kkaderly! Go for it...it's a gorgeous color combo for a Montecristi. Make sure you tell Art to use a dark matt Burgundy like in my original photo because a year later I sent him the hat back to repair the band and he ended up replacing it with a shade lighter color that had a slight sheen to it which I did not like as much.

Thanks ... It is settled then .. as soon as the season is over I will send mine to Art for the same color ribbon :D ... hope yours cleans out for you!!!!!

warren2503

New in Town
well Guys this is my first post
I live in sydney and ordered a hat from Panama Bob about 8 weeks ago - talking with Bob I decided on a weave count of between 900 and 1000 and to have it blocked by art-

By my calculations it should be another 6 to 8 weeks away. I feel like a school boy just cant wait

Warren

WineGuy

A-List Customer
warren2503 said:
well Guys this is my first post
I live in sydney and ordered a hat from Panama Bob about 8 weeks ago - talking with Bob I decided on a weave count of between 900 and 1000 and to have it blocked by art-

By my calculations it should be another 6 to 8 weeks away. I feel like a school boy just cant wait

Warren

I'm already drooling! That kind of WPI from PB combined with Art's finishing touch is going to return to you one of the nicest Panamas to grace this forum. Can't wait to see pics! Ripper!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24