Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
thespoiler said:
First Post..... need to get to 15

Welcome aboard. You're sure to get there fast. Here's another vintage Panama close up. The color and feel are great. Fortunately, it's undamaged.

393b45c8.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Not too dry

zetwal said:
...The color and feel are great....

Did you have to give it any water to make it feel great?

The reason I ask is because both of my vintage Panamas arrived - apparently - a little dry. A little water spritz just made them WOW :D !

malacoda

New in Town
Rodkins said:
I just got this one yesterday...
ae43cd0b.jpg

After a little steam and shaping...
010497b3.jpg

So now in a few short weeks I have a Caballero, Quevedo, and a Rio Plata from PB. I have caught this thing and I foresee trouble...

Hi Rodkins, I take this is the Rio Plata (hard to tell if it's the Rio or the Caballero w/o a full shot of the crown)? I ask because I too am considering either a Rio Plata or Caballero and glad of finally be able to see a few pics of one of them at different angles.

Either way, very nice!

ccajackson

Familiar Face
malacoda said:
Hi Rodkins, I take this is the Rio Plata (hard to tell if it's the Rio or the Caballero w/o a full shot of the crown)? I ask because I too am considering either a Rio Plata or Caballero and glad of finally be able to see a few pics of one of them at different angles.

Either way, very nice!

If you go back to post 1450, I've got a few photos of my Rio Plata from PB. Love the hat, and Robert is a pleasure to work with.

Cheers!
C-C

malacoda

New in Town
ccajackson said:
If you go back to post 1450, I've got a few photos of my Rio Plata from PB. Love the hat, and Robert is a pleasure to work with.

Cheers!
C-C

Thanks C-C - don't know how I missed them earlier but those are just the kind of pics I was looking for. Much appreciated.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
malacoda said:

Either way, very nice!
Thanks! I actually have both a Rio Plata and a Caballero. The picture you quoted above is the Rio Plata and below is the Caballero. My Caballero has a slightly wider brim than the Rio Plata and the Caballero crown. PB was great to work with.
Mike
dc6b819c.jpg

My current avatar is a PB Quevedo.

Reactions: DRB

malacoda

New in Town
Rodkins said:
Here is my Rio Plata...I'm wearing it today for a trip to the Bahamas.

Thanks for the additional pics Rodkins. Between your photos and C-C's, I definitely think the Rio Plata is the way I'll be going. I'm a lean 5' 10" with a square shaped face and, after seeing it from several angles, believe the slightly narrow brim of the Rio (vs. Caballero) will probably be the best match for my features. Now I just need an extra little commission check to come in from one of my clients and I'll be able to place an order with PB.

Have a great trip!

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Off topic

Sorry this s off topic .... But I am in the Dallas air port and just saw a very nice calado (sp? Holes in the crown weave) that was too white to be a monti .. I think but a very nice Quinca (sp?) any of you folks flying throughout the big D today??? Every time I fly now I see some great hats ... Looks like we are trend setters ... Never thought of my self as one but hey I guess people at finally catching on to finer fashion ;-)!

Kk

thespoiler

One of the Regulars
New in Town

Rodkins, nice looking hats. I'm working with PB myself. Hope to get something soon.....something I'd be proud to show off but not so pricy to be afraid to leave it on a hatrack in a restaurant.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Thanks. I love mine. I just got back form the Bahamas and took my Rio Plata. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Rio Plata

OK. So while in the Bahamas (wearing my Rio Plata) I get caught on the island in a nasty rain. My Rio Plata is drenched. I get back to the cruise ship cabin, shape the hat to the best of my beginner ability, and hope for the best. Here is how it dried.
9ac1cd0d.jpg

It's not too bad but definitely is less "formal" looking in my opinion.
27211a5e.jpg

It shrunk a bit, but was a little loose before and now it is softer and fits like a glove. One concern I have is that the brim is softer and may start to droop.
297e0a6b.jpg

I still love this hat. It performed very well on it's first international trip and I received alot of compliments.

malacoda

New in Town
Rodkins said:
OK. So while in the Bahamas (wearing my Rio Plata) I get caught on the island in a nasty rain. My Rio Plata is drenched. I get back to the cruise ship cabin, shape the hat to the best of my beginner ability, and hope for the best. Here is how it dried.

I still love this hat. It performed very well on it's first international trip and I received alot of compliments.

If you're considering doing any additional/serious reshaping yourself I would recommend using steam instead of spritzing it with water...

I picked up a straw panama (a Cuenca I suspect, not really sure though) in Savannah and got hit by a torrential downpour not 2 hours later. The hat shrunk quite a bit and the brim lost some of its shape. I spritzed the base, band, and brim with water, put hat stretcher in it, place some weight on the band, and yet it still ended up shrinking even further.

So I repeated the process using steam instead. It stretched back out a bit and the brim regained most of its shape. I repeated a second time with steam - it stretched out a little more and the brim shape 'crisped up' even more. One more dose and it should fit me just right again.

Granted, it's my first straw panama (which will be relegated to a 'beater/chore' hat once I get a PB Montechristi) so I'm rather inexperienced - and I'm sure some one else can provide insight as to why the steam worked but spritzing didn't - but I still wanted to toss this experience out on the table in case it might help to save you a little frustration/effort.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
malacoda said:
If you're considering doing any additional/serious reshaping yourself I would recommend using steam instead of spritzing it with water...
Thanks. I think I'm good with it as is for now. It definitely fits better and feels softer, it just looks less "sharp" to me.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Feeding the lories at Adastra Gardens in Nassau, Bahamas

Here is a pic of me in my Rio Plata at Adastra Gardens in the Bahamas before the rain came...
129f7ec4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot