Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Panama Bob hat blocked by Art Fawcett

001vhg.jpg

002gm.jpg

003cig.jpg

Consumer

New in Town
Dear Fellow Loungers,
What is a reasonable price to pay for a higher end Montecristi? No, $25K is not an option but what is a realistic price (for the 99% of us) for a high quality one with a consistent weave and has >1000+ wpi. What would one expect to pay in Ecuador versus the US? I just don't want to be striving for one that may never be. . . Any advice would be tremendously appreciated!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Dear Fellow Loungers,
What is a reasonable price to pay for a higher end Montecristi? No, $25K is not an option but what is a realistic price (for the 99% of us) for a high quality one with a consistent weave and has >1000+ wpi. What would one expect to pay in Ecuador versus the US? I just don't want to be striving for one that may never be. . . Any advice would be tremendously appreciated!

Not sure if this is still valid, but I made an empirical ratio of $100 for 100WSPI, $500=500WPSI, $1000=1000 etc...

Mystic

Practically Family
Montecristi Panama 26x28 weave count (700-800 wpsi), blocked by Art Fawcett

Teardrop with spine line at the crown roof, 13 ligne black ribbon. Brim is 2.5" front and back, 2 3/4" at the sides.

Other pics in the Hall of Fame thread:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...Hall-of-Fame&p=1411836&viewfull=1#post1411836

A wonderful piece of work - thank you, Art!

P1050515.jpg

P1050526.jpg

P1050534-Kopie.jpg

P1050536-Kopie.jpg

P1050510.jpg

P1050502.jpg

What is the crown height on this panama and the ribbon width?

I don't don't know if it is just the way the photo shows it...but, I like the proportion of ribbon to the crown height.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
What is the crown height on this panama and the ribbon width?

I don't don't know if it is just the way the photo shows it...but, I like the proportion of ribbon to the crown height.

Mystic, the creased crown height is 4 1/4" - 4 3/4" - 3 1/2" (front - sides - back). Open crown it's most likely 5.5".
The ribbon is 13 ligne (2.9cm or 1 1/8").

It's a matter of opinion which ribbon width will work, but as a rule of thumb:

Classic designs on the finer Montecristi Panamas often have a black ribbon of just this width (12-14 ligne range).

16 ligne (3.6cm or a tad wider than 1 3/8") is not rare either and looks very good, too, although this is where it begins to look comparatively wide for a high count Montecristi. Go wider than that and it has proportions that are mostly associated with felt hats (leaving Boaters and some other styles aside).

10 ligne (2.2cm or 7/8"), on the other hand, looks good but definitely thin, and 8 ligne (1.8cm or less than 3/4") is more suitable for women's Panamas.

Last edited:

barrowjh

One Too Many
Rabbit - really nice hat. I would agree with not putting a wide ribbon on a nice panama. Your ribbon width allows you to 'dress' the hat in various colors using pugs, if you want to, say, to wear a team's colors to a ball game, a more versatile hat.

Not sure if this is still valid, but I made an empirical ratio of $100 for 100WSPI, $500=500WPSI, $1000=1000 etc...

Well done. I would add that the second hand market might divide the price at each level by five, though I have seen many hats in the 500 wpsi class and very few at 1000.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Other qualities of the hat beyond WPSI play a significant role in value, increasing as the WPSI gets above the c.600 range. There are hats with tiny weaves that are not so wonderful.

The $5000.00 + hat would be unlikely to exceed the 2000-2500 range. Some c.1000+ WPSI can get into multiple thousand$$ also.

Last edited:

Mystic

Practically Family
Mystic, the creased crown height is 4 1/4" - 4 3/4" - 3 1/2" (front - sides - back). Open crown it's most likely 5.5".
The ribbon is 13 ligne (2.9cm or 1 1/8").

It's a matter of opinion which ribbon width will work, but as a rule of thumb:

Classic designs on the finer Montecristi Panamas often have a black ribbon of just this width (12-14 ligne range).

16 ligne (3.6cm or a tad wider than 1 3/8") is not rare either and looks very good, too, although this is where it begins to look comparatively wide for a high count Montecristi. Go wider than that and it has proportions that are mostly associated with felt hats (leaving Boaters and some other styles aside).

10 ligne (2.2cm or 7/8"), on the other hand, looks good but definitely thin, and 8 ligne (1.8cm or less than 3/4") is more suitable for women's Panamas.

Thanks.....well, now I know what a Ligne is.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligne

silly me for assumeing that it had something to do with the number of ridges per square inch of ribbon or something to do with lenght of ribbon.........lol....:redface:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thanks.....well, now I know what a Ligne is.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligne

silly me for assumeing that it had something to do with the number of ridges per square inch of ribbon or something to do with lenght of ribbon.........lol....:redface:

lol lol lol

Personally, I find it actually easier to think in terms of ligne when ribbons are concerned. I'm pretty much helpless with inches or cm there. The difference between 12, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 22 ligne is not difficult to memorize and recognize. It's the only way I can estimate ribbon widths when I see a hat that's not mine.

Consumer

New in Town
That empirical formula will help me get a perspective on the price. Thanks daizawaguy! However, alanfgag's comments about the secondary market is much more appealing to me!! Unless of course, I plan on months of peanut butter and J sandwiches for lunch. Thanks Fellow Loungers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy