Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No problem, like I say it's a nice hat for the price.
if it's paper does that mean it will collapse if it gets too wet?

For €100 I hope it is real, that is a high ticket for shantung- certainly not unheard of. NO straw hat likes the rain, except for those heavily coated western shangtungs.

I sure like the look of the hat, very sharp. I have been trying to get a European Straw Stetson called a "Jefferson", but it is unavailable in North America.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Stetson seems to sell some nice Panamas in Europe. I like the look of the Jenkins

smugshot5766426-L.jpg

Aerol

A-List Customer

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Stetson seems to sell some nice Panamas in Europe. I like the look of the Jenkins

smugshot5766426-L.jpg

They're very mum on who is making what for which company in Ecuador. Occasionally, they'll leave a drawer open for you to peak in, as they wink, so that you can see some of the labels that are in there.

Looks nice.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
What can you guys tell me about this hat? Is that considered a porkpie crown? How old would some of you experts say it is? I've included a photo of every detail I could find.

Thanks in advance.

panama2.jpg
panama3.jpg
panama4.jpg
panama5.jpg
panama6.jpg
panama7.jpg
panama8.jpg
panama1.jpg

What can you guys tell me about this hat? Is that considered a porkpie crown? How old would some of you experts say it is? I've included a photo of every detail I could find.

Thanks in advance.

panama3.jpg
panama7.jpg
panama8.jpg
panama1.jpg

I think it is better referred to as a telescope crown. A porkpie is narroer at the front than at the back. Yours is the same all teh way around. I have a similar hat by cavanagh that I am wearing today.
That was a great find in that size. I like it.

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Haven't bought a hat in a while, was thinking of getting a Panama hat for an upcoming trip to Cuba. I've never bought one before so I'm looking to you, the experts, for your advice. Something I can smoke a cigar on the beach in. A montecristi for my montecristos, as it were.

Can you guys recommend where I can go to find genuine new monticristis for a fair price?
I'm willing to shell out a few hundred for a new Montecristi, as I don't hold much hope of finding a vintage high-quality one in my size.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I think it is better referred to as a telescope crown. A porkpie is narroer at the front than at the back. Yours is the same all teh way around. I have a similar hat by cavanagh that I am wearing today.
That was a great find in that size. I like it.

Thanks, James.

Anyone care to venture an estimate on the age of the hat? Also, can anyone offer info on when a hat like mine would have been in style, how early this style was worn?

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Haven't bought a hat in a while, was thinking of getting a Panama hat for an upcoming trip to Cuba. I've never bought one before so I'm looking to you, the experts, for your advice. Something I can smoke a cigar on the beach in. A montecristi for my montecristos, as it were.

Can you guys recommend where I can go to find genuine new monticristis for a fair price?
I'm willing to shell out a few hundred for a new Montecristi, as I don't hold much hope of finding a vintage high-quality one in my size.

Sure- rub it in...Canuckastanian :canada:, I always wanted to see the Island B4 Fidel left...but NOOoooooooo! Not if you were born in Iowa!

I go to Calgary & see posters of the beaches, adverts on TV & in the Sun...WOW!
I wanna see it all while the cars are all still 5o's Chev's, with no Marriots, Mickey-D's or the like in view.

Anyway see Panama Bob either on his website or off of his ebay operation.

In four years, through multiple orders, I have always been very pleased- and I have only ever purchased from eBay. $ for $ & £ for £- the best deal out there, IMO.
If you are willing to cough up the loonies for a Monti, I am almost sure he could hook you up. E-mail him.
The stuff I have purchased has always arrived like greased lightning, too.

Canada Post however could delay things by putting on the back of that single asthmatic snail they use. LOL :rolleyes:

...my .o2

rlk

I'll Lock Up

Thanks in advance.
panama5.jpg
There were Erie Clothing Store ads for those locations '45-'54 at least which is probably about the right range for the hat with that factory stamp. Its somewhat squarer than the more common oval or egg shaped crown. Porkpie and telescope are just different names for the same rounded crown with a pushed up center portion surrounded by narrow raised edge, both terms in use for over 100 years.

Last edited:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Many thanks, rlk. Would a hat like mine be totally out of place with a late 1920s/early '30s ensemble? Or would it take an expert to spot the sartorial anachronism?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Many thanks, rlk. Would a hat like mine be totally out of place with a late 1920s/early '30s ensemble? Or would it take an expert to spot the sartorial anachronism?

Many of the straw hat blocks have been in consistant use since the 19th century--including this one. If you don't look at the tags and liner the bodies are the same. There are some ribbon and bow treatments that would be more particular to the era, but Pug's have been around a long time too.

end of WWI
Screen%2520shot%25202012-03-15%2520at%25204.34.24%2520PM.png
Screen%2520shot%25202012-03-15%2520at%25203.40.32%2520PM.png

Last edited:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Many of the straw hat blocks, including this one were in consistant use since the 19th century--including this one. If you don't look at the tags and liner the bodies are the same. There are some ribbon and bow treatments that would be more particular to the era, but Pug's have been around a long time too.

Great -- thanks very much!

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Sure- rub it in...Canuckastanian :canada:, I always wanted to see the Island B4 Fidel left...but NOOoooooooo! Not if you were born in Iowa!

I go to Calgary & see posters of the beaches, adverts on TV & in the Sun...WOW!
I wanna see it all while the cars are all still 5o's Chev's, with no Marriots, Mickey-D's or the like in view.

Thanks for your help, I will contact him to see what he can do for me! I've been to Cuba before, but never Havana. The beaches are great and there aren't any of the annoyances you get elsewhere. The classic cars are as prevalent and amazing as you've heard... though if you go out into the countryside you learn the true meaning of poverty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo