Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

DJH

I'll Lock Up
frenchgentleman, that is a really good looking Montecristi.

I like the weave, the proportions, the blocking and the wider than usual ribbon. I hope you get plenty of nice weather to be able to enjoy wearing it.

frenchgentleman

New in Town
Thank you for your kind word, DJH!
Lately the weather has not been nice in Paris, I have not been able to enjoy wearing my panama yet, but I don't despair!

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
My new monticristi arrived today! It's a "Fedora 1" in sub-fino from panamahatsdirect.com. It's not nearly as nice as some others in this thread, but for a started straw, I'm happy with it. It has a black grosgrain ribbon. Brim is just shy of 2.5". It came with a liner, which is spot glued. I'm debating whether or not to take it out. I want the hat to be cool, but I also don't want to ruin the straw with sweat or my Groom & Clean habit. Thoughts?

cnu5.jpg

d5t7.jpg

jqhk.jpg

Duper

Practically Family
Nice hat Blade. I might use a little steam and give the brim just a bit more swoop. I hope you get lots of sunny days to wear it.

,,,Mike

Duper

Practically Family
I ordered two straws from Panamadirect recently. Both came with a liner. I removed both of them. I also used the steam kettle to tweak the brim on both as well.

job

One Too Many
I have one straw hat that is hard to shape so I had to steam it then set the brim on a table top, letting the rest of the hat hang off while weighting the brim with books. Afterwards I sprayed felt stiffener on it.

AnalogReigns

New in Town
Anyone ever hear of the importer Panamahutdirekt.de? (No, it is not panamahatsdirect.com, a "hut" means house in German--it has a whole different website) Yes it apparently is an ethnically German direct importer which claims to send straight from Montecristi. Their prices are very good (for example a near top of the line "Superfino" of 670 wpsi is $345 with free shipping to the USA). Anyone heard of them at all?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Hey Analog, you might find that one of our German friends has used this company, but most people here seem to use the US based sources.

There are plenty of businesses that import the straw bodies and block and finish them here.

If you decide to purchase from the German site, it will be very interesting to hear how it goes and to see photos of the hat.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Nooooo!............not another weave count measurement reference! Even your flies look good Alan. Sure it's just admiring the weave like I am though, but from a different POV.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to reform the brim to give it some more swoop, since I don't happen to own a flange?

Hi

DLK's suggestion below is pretty good, but what I saw Rocky at Buckaroo Hatter do was slightly more impressive. On my John Wayne Cavalry hat, he steamed the whole brim and then held it on an 8-15 inch (didn't measure it) cardboard sleeve. For lessor curls, he used his belly. The belly method leaves a more continuous curve than just bending the front brim.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran