Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
HungaryTom said:
Hi ScottF,

Seeing your avatar tells that you like a certain type of fedora with pretty similar dimensions - the makers and colors might be different, yet the proportions and dimensions seem more or less similar. Make sure to get those dimensions on your Montecristi -even if the taller crown and wide brim costs more- you are in good hands with Panamabob.
Than one of his US blockers will produce you the panama hat of your dreams.

Cheers:

Tom

I actually prefer a shorter crown and a wide brim, like the two Panamas I posted recently. Even though Optimo only has a small selection of Montecristi blocks shown on their website, the one they used for these two suited me perfectly. But because of the brim and patina differences, simply using different ribbons allowed for a completely different look, while keeping my favorite block.

I have four vintage Montecristis, but haven't yet ordered a new one. If I do, I will certainly go the route that most of you have, getting a hat from Panamabob and blocking from Art.

But that brings up an interesting question: I've only found examples from three loungers, of vintage Montecristis sent out for reblocking. All three were sent to Optimo. I would love to see some examples of vintage Montecristis reblocked by others (e.g-Art, Brent Black, etc).

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScottF said:
I would love to see some examples of vintage Montecristis reblocked by others (e.g-Art, Brent Black, etc).

As you wish:

Pre 1934 Bergson Panama (block - ribbon - sweatband - cleaning by Art Fawcett)

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Knox Thirty-Five Montecristi

Garrett, here are some pics of a similar one from the '50s (2" brim). It has "Select A" pencilled inside the crown.

MontKnoxSideMed.jpg

MontKnoxSweat.jpg

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
About a week ago, my wife said to me "if you buy another hat, I'll strangle you". So, this is either my suicide note, or -better- a sneak preview of the Christmas present my wife will give me

Panama hat

Very even weave; mostly "brisa", but with some "llano" circular sections, notably in the brim.

Not really many vuelta's, maybe (depending how exactly you count them) about 6 or maximum 7. Yet I'm convinced it's a Monte Cristi hat.

Maybe Brooks Brothers customers weren't aware that Panama hats all come from Ecuador?

Detailed view of the ribbon knot. Never seen such one...

The hat weighs in at exactly 62 grams, i.e. very light. It's a very thin hat, very evenly woven, elegant. I like it. I have some questions: what would you think the age is? (sixties? seventies?).

So, now I'll go and lock it away in a box until ...ho ho ho!

Cheers,
Pablo

Cuenca Brisa weave. Very nice! This weaving technique is only done in the mountains, not in Montecristi area.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Garrett said:
As you wish:

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

That is great to see a straw in such fine condition after all those years...very nice indeed:eusa_clap

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Panamabob said:
Cuenca Brisa weave. Very nice! This weaving technique is only done in the mountains, not in Montecristi area.

Dear Panama Bob. Thank you very much for your most kind informative reply, due to which I know more now than I did before (which isn't, in way of Panama hats, difficult).

My only other Panama hat is one I purchased from you for about $125 if I recall correctly. I like it very much, (even if the Brooks Bros. hat is woven finer and thinner/lighter, but then I suspect it wasn't a cheap hat; in its day -whenever that may have been- it had a $25 tag).

I suspect I'm only seeing the bottom of the Panama scene...photo's don't really faithfully transmit any "feel". But, again, I've not seen nicer straw hats than mine over here. Maybe I should try going to the steeple chase races, or perhaps book a flight to Hungary?

And, given that one can only be strangled once...;) there is hope!

Pablo

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Dear Pablo,

I thoroughly enjoyed your thread about your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. Remarkable. In recent years I did some "pilgrimage" in the realm of Montecristi. It is such a strange and fascinating world. I have now 3 hats and a fourth one is still in the becoming. The wait and the price are forgotten once they materialize.
You are any time welcome in Hungary.

With Kind Regards and due respect:

Tom

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Straw and moths

I have found clothes moths inside straw hats three times this year. Are they just hiding, or do they also eat straw?

I used Sue's lemon-eucalyptus method for my wool and felt items, so maybe this is just part of their migration out of my home?

billysmom

One Too Many
Testimonial

Last July I ordered a superfino Montecristi from PanamaBob. Because of the comedy of errors that seems inevitable when dealing with cross-cultural enterprises, the hat's now finished, but still in Ecuador. (It will be blocked here in the US.)

Robert sent me a message offering to have a loaner blocked for me to use until mine arrives. This is way above and beyond courteous! What an asset to the Lounge!

Sue

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
You should hear the stories the Americans that I've taken to Ecuador tell...

It is a comedy of errors, but I'm the boob stuck on this end.

Art's been waiting on a hat for probably 2 years now and it came up in the last box, but it had a 3.5 inch brim. Ridiculous. They make me pay a mint for long brims, but they sent this one up for regular price. Poor Art.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
It is a 1000 wpsi hat. This poor customer has been waiting 9 weeks while Gus' boiler was broken down, fixed, worked a few hours, was replaced. Gus said that he got these hats done and then the city of Cincinnati shut down the water on his block and he almost burned up his boiler again. All's well that ends well.

Luckily, Daizawaguy's hat was in the box. Wait 'til you see this one!

scaber

New in Town
Just practicing posting a picture

Hello everyone. I'm just trying to get the hang of posting a picture. If it turns out it is a 3in Sunbody fedora. I love it because I can wear it in the rain and not worry. It is also easy and fun to reshape. Now let's see if I can get the picture to turn out.

DSC06081.jpg

DSC06079.jpg

Reactions: DRB

scaber

New in Town
Finally pulled the trigger

Well I finally did it. I pulled the trigger and just ordered my first Panama. I was going to buy a new hat and couldn't decide between an Akubra traveler felt and a panama but I went with the Panama due to the fact that I live in Florida and can wear it year round. I just have to watch out for the rain. I'm excited to have purchased a Panama Bob Montecristi Fino center dent. I'll certainly post pictures when it arrives. Now I'll have to start saving for that Akubra.

Feraud

Bartender
I really like the crown/brim balance of these taller two.

Garrett said:
As you wish:

IMG_2403.jpg

ScottF said:
Garrett, here are some pics of a similar one from the '50s (2" brim). It has "Select A" pencilled inside the crown.

MontKnoxSideMed.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy