Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama hat ventilation

mjbrekke

New in Town
Here's my problem. I've got a couple of vintage woven Panama hats. Not the finest grade, but OK. I'm bald thanks to genetics, and at the urging of my son I've been shaving my head for several years--bottom line, I'm bald as a cue ball. When I wear one of my Panamas in the summer, it's pretty comfortable while it's on. But when I take it off, the accumulated sweat literally pours off my head. In addition to needing a towel to clean up, the sweatband soon becomes saturated, the hat ends up shrinking, so I've got to put it on the stretcher every time I wear it, which ultimately isn't going to be good for the hat, I'd imagine.

So, my question is, do different grades of Panamas have different ventilation characteristics? If so, is there any grade of Panama that ventilates enough so that my "bucket of sweat" problem would be remedied?

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mjbrekke, I'm not sure what you're asking.
There are Panama weaves, called "open" weaves
that leave space between the reeds, allowing for
air flow. The space can be throughout or in ventilated
sections. I have one that is probably from the 40s but
they are still made today. So whether you must have
vintage or want to order a new hat, you can get that.

But if you are asking whether the hats you own can
be ventilated, I'm not sure. I suppose you could get
grommeted holes put in the crown of your woven hat,
but I'm not sure what that would do to the weave.

Your best solution might be the frequent application
of a handkerchief.

Grasping at straws.

I am not sure where I saw this, but there was a design element for the sweat band where a "device" something akin to flattened drinking straw(s) were placed (vertically) behind the sweat band to allow for the exchange of air.

I have a pith helmet I use mowing the big lawns at church and even with good ventilation I have the same problem although I still have hair, mostly.

I think with Southern California Summers , either I need a hat with built in fan or some type of blue ice packs under the crown!

Sincerely

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
MVC-025S.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner