Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paris

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I'm moving there in less than a month! Eek...little nervous. I'm mostly excited though, it's an inexplicably wonderful place.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I lived in the 12eme one summer, studying French at the University of Paris. What a great city. I have been to Paris many many times with my family and friends. I rarely experience the French rudeness, I find the Metro supremely navigable, the pharmacies perplexing, and the grocery stores charming. The parks are gorgeous and the apartments have such a nice, old, open feel to them. Well, not the one I lived in, but I didn't have the ability to choose.

Every summer I get wanderlust. Right now I'm fantasizing about Portugal. But I'd take Paris too. :)

Mister_Ed

New in Town
I'm headed there in 2 weeks. I'm 52 and it will be my first trip away from North America! I know about most of the "can't miss" sites, but are there any hidden gems that I should try to check out?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mister_Ed said:
I'm headed there in 2 weeks. I'm 52 and it will be my first trip away from North America! I know about most of the "can't miss" sites, but are there any hidden gems that I should try to check out?

If you're an art kinda guy, don't miss the Musee D'Orsay (I prefer it to the Louvre) and the Picasso museum. You might stop by Les Deux Magots as well if you don't mind spending more than you should on a drink - it's where Hemingway used to hang out sometimes circa A Moveable Feast. Oh and the Ferris Wheel in the Tuileries Garden is a fabulous way to see the city...I think it's the Tuileries.

Will you have time to visit Versailles or get out into the countryside?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Paris lovers start lining up for Angel A.

Advice to Mister Ed: Don't spend your whole time in Paris running around from queue to queue, it's a great place to just stop, sit and relax. Check out Shakespeare and Company - the book store, it's got a great view of Notre Dame - pure romance. Enjoy the parks. Buy a packed lunch and just sit. It's a beautiful city. The Musee D'Orsay is definitely worth a visit. Also, go out for at least one really good meal - go as often as you can, but go at least once.

EDIT: Just saw Angel-A and it's awful. Don't line up, don't go, save your time and your money. It looks nice, but otherwise just awful. Next on list for Paris afficianados, the Piaf biopic; anyone seen that yet.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Check out Shakespeare and Company - the book store, it's got a great view of Notre Dame - pure romance. Enjoy the parks. Buy a packed lunch and just sit. It's a beautiful city. The Musee D'Orsay is definitely worth a visit. Also, go out for at least one really good meal - go as often as you can, but go at least once.

You took the words right outta my mouth, Jake! I always make it a point to go dance on the star in front of Notre Dame--what used to be the old center of medieval Paris. The legend goes that if you walk across (I dance, of course :p) the star, you will return to Paris. ;)

catspyjamas

New in Town
Mister_Ed said:

I hope the weather is nicer in 2 wks because right now it is totally bizarre. One day beautiful and 20¬?C, the next day grey, humid and hot...

Don't forget to go to the Marais on Sunday and have a falafel at the As de Falafel on rue des Rosiers.

There are definitely things off of the beaten track to be done and if I can think of others will post 'em.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
thebadmamajama said:
You took the words right outta my mouth, Jake! I always make it a point to go dance on the star in front of Notre Dame--what used to be the old center of medieval Paris. The legend goes that if you walk across (I dance, of course :p) the star, you will return to Paris. ;)

:eek: This is the reason then....

catspyjamas

New in Town
Go see the Eiffel tower at NIGHT from the Palais de Tokyo vantage point (at Trocadero) because they've installed a light system on the E.T. which twinkles every hour for 10 minutes. It sounds kitsch but is actually gorgeous.

Rent miniature sailboats (model miniature size) and have a race in the Luxembourg garden.

Have cocktails (I don't know if the restaurant is good) at the China Club's bar "Le fumoir" on rue Charenton...kind of a blast from the past.

Hang out at a street caf?© on rue Oberkampf. Avoid the Caf?© Charbon because while the architecture/decor is beautiful - the service is dreadful.

A must-do : The March?© Aligre in the 12th. They have quite a few vendors who specialize in vintage objects. And when you are there don't forget to stop in at "La Graineterie" 8 place d'Aligre...one of the oldest shops of its kind and still retains its 1950s original decor. It belongs to my friend Jos?© who is a vintage fan - not clothing but objects...get him talking about his Dinky toy car collection ! From the market you can walk to the viaduct and along the renovated passage which houses art galleries and concept designers.

Okay, that is all I can think of for the moment. Hope you have a great time !

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Go to Montparnasse and visit the cafes where Picasso and Modigliani used to hang out, and see the famous graves in the cemetery there (and Pere Lachaise).

Walk up all the steps to the Sacre Coeur and then have crepes at a little Montmartre bistro.

Sit and read a book or magazine in the Luxembourg Gardens... if it's sunny, anyway! lol

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Take along some candles, poetry, and Irish whiskey for improvised
nocturnal reading at Pere Lachaise. Parisian women appreciate a touch
of nocturnal courtship amidst the flame of passion the place bestows.
Wilde's The Duchess of Padua, a tragic play works equally well
with poetry. ;)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Harp said:
Take along some candles, poetry, and Irish whiskey for improvised
nocturnal reading at Pere Lachaise. Parisian women appreciate a touch
of nocturnal courtship amidst the flame of passion the place bestows.
Wilde's The Duchess of Padua, a tragic play works equally well
with poetry. ;)

Don't forget your lobster on a leash.

Mister_Ed

New in Town
Thanks to everyone for all the great tips! Part of the trip is going to be a cruise up the Seine River, so we'll also get to visit some of the towns and villages along the way, including the D-Day sites. It's getting pretty hard to concentrate on work :) !

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Mister_Ed said:
Thanks to everyone for all the great tips! Part of the trip is going to be a cruise up the Seine River, so we'll also get to visit some of the towns and villages along the way, including the D-Day sites. It's getting pretty hard to concentrate on work :) !

I did that cruise on a school tour. I hope it's at night, it's very atmospheric.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou