Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patch location - A2, correct placement?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Going to patch up my new Leather Coats Etc A-2. Is there a regulation pertaining to placement of name tags, or other patches?

Here is a photo...are these in the correct location?

P1010389.jpg P1010391.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I have an Aero A2 from my stint in the 101st Airborne, forty some years ago-with name tape
and crest across left breast and the Screaming Eagle left shoulder sleeve. [angel]

devilish

A-List Customer
Isn't that a USN name patch for a G-1 or other Navy flight jacket? The WWII AAF name patch is the slim strip of tan leather with just the name/rank in a single line of type, right?

Edit; Ok, above post added while typing this reply. So, never mind.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
From what I know from my various reference books, the squadron patches and group patches followed a firm pattern and were panel specific, but as I always point out, anomalies always abound. The same with name tags - most appear on the wearer's front-left panel but at all varieties of heights and placements and in a variety of colours, fonts etc.

So with all that in mind, and as you're not strictly influenced by WW2 historical A2s, I think it just boils down to what personally looks "right" to YOU when you think of name tag and patch placement.
To me, it looks just fine!

Stand By

One Too Many
PS. And if I may, I'd just add here that the Denton Doll patch appears quite "bright" in its whiteness ... if it was me, I'd tone it down just a shade by giving it a very light wash of tea - applied with a cloth. That'd help to take the brightness out of it and tone it into the browns of the jacket and name tag. Time and weather will do that too, but a light "aging" with tea will give it a head start. But that's just me .... just thought I'd suggest it as an option if you're interested.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
PS. And if I may, I'd just add here that the Denton Doll patch appears quite "bright" in its whiteness ... if it was me, I'd tone it down just a shade by giving it a very light wash of tea - applied with a cloth. That'd help to take the brightness out of it and tone it into the browns of the jacket and name tag. Time and weather will do that too, but a light "aging" with tea will give it a head start. But that's just me .... just thought I'd suggest it as an option if you're interested.

Thanks to you (and everyone) for your input! The "Denton Doll" patch is being re-done by another person, so will wait and see how it turns out. Might try your aging trick idea.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I can tell you that, even in the '90s (and I'd go as far as to say through today) the guy who sews your stuff on is going to be a para-rigger who's going to use the old shop sewing machine and whatever thread he happens to have.

That thread will come in many hues...as long as it's sage green.

So, as long as you put things in their proper places, (i.e. name tag left chest, squadron or command patch [ACC, AMC, etc] these days right chest) then I don't think that anyone is going to measure 1/4 inch from this or 2 inches from that like they do in most other uniforms...flight jackets always having been considered "flight equipment" and thus often restricted from wear off base and sometimes even off the flight line.

One suggestion I would make. When you decide to get the patches sewn on, put the jacket on and temporarily tape the insignia where you think it looks best. It may not be where you think looks good with the jacket laying flat on the table. Mark the jacket for the tailor where you decided the patches should go.

In general, most para riggers were a whiz with the sewing machine. Every once in awhile though, you'd get a guy who would sew your squadron patch on so that it was uneven with the name tag or sew the shoulder patch on way too low in a way that generally looked somewhat stupid. If you did that with your brand new flight jacket, then you were screwed as you couldn't take it off and move it.

There's nothing that makes a good flight jacket look bad like having a name tag that is under your arm pit, or a squadron patch that makes you involuntarily tilt your head because it's on crooked. ;)

Deacon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Deacon...thanks! These are being velcroed on. Just got back from the tailor shop. We did a "try on and see" first just to make sure.

Stand By

One Too Many
I have to agree with HD at the news of the velcro - purely if I may say so, and IMHO merely to be constructive, but where patches are concerned, I think it's a case of in for a penny, in for a pound. Sewing it on would be the only option for me ...
And if you're worried about not getting a neat row of stitching on a circular patch (which is tricky, let's face it!), I'd say send it to someone like Edith at Alexander Leathers - she'd do that with aplomb - and then you'd get it back in the mail all done and then you just give it to a decent seamstress/tailor and have them sew it on with some nice OD thread to match the jacket ....
That's just how i'd do it. But it's totally up to you though ...

Stand By

One Too Many
Well there we go, then. Nuff said. Looking forward to seeing you in the jacket when it's all done - looking the part by a nice aircraft if poss. ! :)

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
If you want to see the coat being worn, go to the thread on A-2 Review, Leather Coats Etc.

For those familiar with G&B A-2's, this jacket is heavier...thicker leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass