Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pea Coat Color Touch Up Questions

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
I just got a 1969 Kersey pea coat from ebay. The condition of this one was not as good as was stated on ebay. It is in very good condition except that there is sleight wear at the lapels and collar, and a tinch around one of the pockets. The wool is only sleightly worn with a sleight gray color to it. Was wondering if there is a way of sleightly darkening, or coloring these gray areas? Maybe with very dilute blue or black fountain pen ink?
I usually take a black permanent magic marker and mark out those little white threads which you come across sometimes. They are little white dots and the markers work great and you can not see any color difference between the blue color of the coat and where you marked the white dots out. Does anybody have any suggestions for the worn areas? Thank you.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
I'm answering my own question. I took a Marks A Lot dry erase marker. The color is a medium blue. I then lightly rubbed it over one of the grayish areas. I then took a damp rag and rubbed the area with it to even out the coloring, and absorb any excess. Some of the areas I did twice. The touch ups look great. The colors look exactly the same. You cannot tell that these areas were touched up. This doesn't bring back the loft of the wool, but it does a beautiful cosmetic job and gets rid of any discoloring due to sleight wear.

Peacoat

Bartender
Surprising you got good results with a medium blue. I would have thought a dark blue or black would have been a closer match. For small areas (spots as you say) I normally use a black Magic Marker. I like your process of rubbing the area with a damp cloth to blend it in. Thanks for the tips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy