Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peaky Blinders

I must say I quite liked the ending. It left enough loose threads and tied up sufficient others to allow for continuity into the second series.

However, the "new character" was all a bit bloody Agatha Christie. "How do we make this happen? Ah, bugger it. Let's just introduce a new character central to the family backstory but that no-one's ever heard of - that'll get us out of the plot hole we've successfully dug." Just a bit lazy.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
It was the 'shoot out' that didn't happen when the sister appeared between them. And the arrival of the communist with the Lewis gun. Then the shoot out between the two leaders. One annoying thing is tolerable, but there were too many.

Furthermore, I don't like the way they took a historical figure (Kimber) and killed him off years before he actually died. Why bother using a real character if you aren't going to use the real circumstances of their life? I would rather they had just invented a character.

And throughout the series the barmaid/policewoman irritated me - although I would struggle to explain why. I think it was just a gut reaction to that character.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
TT, none of those things bothered me because, as mentioned earlier, the 'realism' level of the show wasn't something i think the makers troubled themselves too much with.

that sort of stand off though - two gangs of men facing each other 20 feet apart with guns drawn - has always struck me as a particularly silly way to play with guns.
everyone will get shot. it would be a miracle if no one did. they do it in Boardwalk Empire too, and virtually any film where the main theme is surly men trying to out intimidate each other, and the main suspense comes from wondering who will get beaten to a pulp / shot in the head next.

i'm pretty much sick of the 'surly men' genre. the only reason i watched Peaky Blinders and Boardwalk is for the period costume and settings.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Watched the first episode yesterday not bad.
The music was the big problem. Boardwalk does use vintage music for sure an I always wait for the song at the end of the show as it is always picked as a comment on the episode
Will keep watching. They do need to contact Johnny for some caps .

Ed, where did you see this in the US?

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I must admit that I was a little peeved that the shoot out was averted, having said that the positioning of all the characters including the chap with the Lewis gun would probably meant that there would be no characters left for a second series?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
two gangs of men facing each other 20 feet apart with guns drawn - has always struck me as a particularly silly way to play with guns.
everyone will get shot.

I would be tempted to say that any way of playing with guns is silly, but I'm afraid I might upset someone. So I won't say it ....

With regard to your point about 'surly men', I tend to agree. TV and film makers seem almost incapable of presenting working class males in any other way. The respectable, hard-working British male, who isn't a drunk and treats his family well, is almost never depicted. Yet they have always been the majority in society. Why does drama always have to be so dramatic?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Their caps look rather small...but I am confused about the dates on the cards too.

The story of the series is meant to take place in 1919, right?

I have a RRL cap that looks almost identical to the 2nd cap from the left. It seems way too small compared to the larger caps that many of us have become accustomed to wearing as of late.
Although now that I have some frame of reference, I may put it back into the rotation.
$T2eC16J,!)UE9s3wBnOMBR2cyDSl1Q~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:

McMurdo

One of the Regulars
I just watched the series, and agree with quite a bit of whats being said here. The music is a bit of a problem for me, however red right hand is I think an inspired choice so you see I'm of two minds on that front. Over all I really did enjoy the series and am looking forward to the second series.

A very clear reference to the standoff in Yojimbo, continuing the Western theme (through the Yojimbo-inspired Fistful of Dollars). The whole series, actually, is a Brummie Yojimbo now that I come to think of it.

I don't mind Kimber being killed off. TT, we've (That is, Kat has) been looking for information on how Kimber actually died. He was shot, but not killed, in Kings Cross by the Sabini's. We've been unable to locate solid information on his actual end.

It was the 'shoot out' that didn't happen when the sister appeared between them. And the arrival of the communist with the Lewis gun. Then the shoot out between the two leaders. One annoying thing is tolerable, but there were too many.

Furthermore, I don't like the way they took a historical figure (Kimber) and killed him off years before he actually died. Why bother using a real character if you aren't going to use the real circumstances of their life? I would rather they had just invented a character.

And throughout the series the barmaid/policewoman irritated me - although I would struggle to explain why. I think it was just a gut reaction to that character.

TT, none of those things bothered me because, as mentioned earlier, the 'realism' level of the show wasn't something i think the makers troubled themselves too much with.

that sort of stand off though - two gangs of men facing each other 20 feet apart with guns drawn - has always struck me as a particularly silly way to play with guns.
everyone will get shot. it would be a miracle if no one did. they do it in Boardwalk Empire too, and virtually any film where the main theme is surly men trying to out intimidate each other, and the main suspense comes from wondering who will get beaten to a pulp / shot in the head next.

i'm pretty much sick of the 'surly men' genre. the only reason i watched Peaky Blinders and Boardwalk is for the period costume and settings.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The Sabini's were an interesting gang. Their 1920s hangout was 'The Griffin' on Clerkenwell Road, which I used to drink in back in the 1990s (i.e. before it became a lap dancing club, or whatever it is now).

I suppose their activities (and any cross over into popular culture) would tie into the Baroness's research.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy