Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peeling flaking nails

MissHannah

One Too Many
(Bartenders please merge this if you think it can be combined with another nail thread)

I have pretty good nails apart from on my index and middle finger of my right hand. The nails on these two fingers flake and peel and, eventually, tear. These two always end up much shorter than my other nails and always look terrible as the polish comes off with the flakes and peeling layers. Has anybody got a recommendation for a good strengthening base coat? I've tried all of the Sally Hansen ones and one by Mavala.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Me too! I think it's because these fingers get used the most. Writing, picking things up, picking at price stickers (I work retail), etc. It's maddening!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
My nails do this occasionaly. If my nails are long enough, I cut them just below the 'pale moon' that indicates the start of peeling. This way it doesn't keep seperating, causing even more peeling. I guess it's like trimming split ends. I don't know how to prevent it though. I would talk to a nail technician. Do you get your nails done professionally?

OneAndOnly

Familiar Face
MissHannah said:
(Bartenders please merge this if you think it can be combined with another nail thread)

I have pretty good nails apart from on my index and middle finger of my right hand. The nails on these two fingers flake and peel and, eventually, tear. These two always end up much shorter than my other nails and always look terrible as the polish comes off with the flakes and peeling layers. Has anybody got a recommendation for a good strengthening base coat? I've tried all of the Sally Hansen ones and one by Mavala.

I have the very same problem MissHannah and to combat it I use Avon Peeling and Brittleness Solver:
prod_1056042.jpg

I also use Avon's Grow Potion, which I know sounds ridiculous but it only takes 2 mins to apply so even if it doesn't work as a grow potion at least it moisturizes my nails :)

MissHannah

One Too Many
Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll try a few of those products. Unfortunately, seeing a dermatologist in the UK would cost a few hundred pounds which, unless I become a hand model, is unjustifiable just for dodgy nails!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MissHannah said:
Unfortunately, seeing a dermatologist in the UK would cost a few hundred pounds which, unless I become a hand model, is unjustifiable just for dodgy nails!

Ahhhh nationalized healthcare :eusa_doh:

MissHannah

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
How is your diet? Have you looked into those hair, skin and nail supplements?

Yeah I tried those for a few months and didn't really see a difference at all unfortunately. Didn't do anything for my hair or skin either!

MissHannah

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Ahhhh nationalized healthcare :eusa_doh:

I'm not going to moan about it because we are SO lucky, but if you have a problem which is non-life threatening and relatively trivial it really won't do anything for you. Anything cosmetic has to be paid for, which is fair enough on the whole.

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
MissHannah said:
I'm not going to moan about it because we are SO lucky, but if you have a problem which is non-life threatening and relatively trivial it really won't do anything for you. Anything cosmetic has to be paid for, which is fair enough on the whole.
For the most part. I know a girl who almost got breast implants on the NHS because of how down she was about her boobs. She didn't go through with it because her boyfriend didn't want her to but she would have otherwise.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Is it seasonal, or does this happen all year round? I have a similar problem, but it's at its worst during the winter, when the air is at its dryest. A heavy-duty moisturizing hand lotion, applied frequently, helps a lot, as does drinking a lot of water.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
I'm giving cuticle oil and pre-natal vitamins a go for my nails... Well the pre-natal vitamins aren't just for this but I've heard they do help a bit.

JazzyDame

One of the Regulars
Biotin

Not sure about all of those highly-publicized, fancy-schmancy supplements out there, but regular, pure biotin supplements work nicely (for the hair and nails). You can find biotin at your local drugstore. Topical applications generally won't work, or at least won't effectively improve the health of your nails. Healthy nails are a result of nutirion and diet. Try the biotin...it really seems to work!

Antje

One Too Many
I used to have peeling nails but I started with multi vitamins and It is much better.
I used skin, hair, nails solutions from a lot of brands and it didn't do a lot for all of those 3 things. It only cost me loads of money and the ones from Solgar made me real nauseous, so I'm not taking those any more

crwritt

One Too Many
A friend of mine was telling me that she's started eating two Brazil nuts per day
as a selenium supplement for her thyroid health. I have thyroid issues as well, so I picked up a couple pounds of Brazil nuts at whole Foods. I've been eating two a day for a few weeks and my fingernails are longer than ever, and strong!

Shirin

A-List Customer
I have the exact same problem, for as long as I can remember. When I was at Sally's last month I asked if they could recommend something that would help with the flaky-peeling (always my middle and ring fingers!) they suggested something called Nail Magic. I was a little apprehensive because of the price, and I was already spending over $40 there on hair stuff, but decided I need to do something once and for all. I've been using it once a week and my nails haven't flaked or peeled at all. However....now they're really hard and sometimes I break them,but its a clean sharp break not a split nail. I can live with that. Now they're much easier to file too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW