Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penman Hats

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
The color contrast is fantastic let alone the finish on the felt. It really does touch on the years of long ago vintage for sure. Lucky you for having such a wonderful looking hat, well made and different than anything I am seeing around.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Hey Garrett, what a fantastic gift to receive!

While I'm on John's team in the Bogart/Cagney debate (I'm the proud owner of his Casablanca model) I have to say he has executed the style perfectly.

Looks like a hat for you to enjoy for many years to come!

BJC88

New in Town
Owning a penman myself, I am sure that you are indeed holding quality work, and that will last for a very long time.

While it is not of the wide brimmed, tall crowned proportions I am used to seeing, that hat is beautiful. ;)

bendingoak

Vendor
I don't know what to say...... But thank you.

Garret I cherish our times together and our friendship. I really enjoy making hats and feel very fortunate to be able to turn a passion of mine into something I can do daily. I know how fortunate I an because I don't feel like I work. I'm happy that you got that job up north but miss spending time with you. Again garret thank you for that review, it means a lot coming from you. I Know how you are about hats and it nice to see one of my hats on here that isn't a Indy hat. Not that I dont like making them, I do. Its just that I am more then that, much more.

To everyone else, thank you for the kind words.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Garrett, nice looking hat! You say that John "acquired the finish". So the hat bodies arrive with the long hair finish as seen? Or does John use a technique to arrive at the finish? Just for clarity, I'm not asking for Garrett or John to reveal any secret technique. Just wondering if the bodies arrive that way.

B

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bill, sorry for the confusion - I meant "acquire such a finish" as dialogue. John consistently churns out a perfect pounce and it really came through on this one.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I was excited today because along with a VS, a new Penman arrived.

I have to say, I'm totally loving this hat - it is in the Crystal Skull Indy IV style but made from totally not screen accurate Black Cherry felt. I'd had this hat in mind for ages and finally placed an order with John last summer. His hats take a while, but I think it was totally worth the wait - I really can't fault the hat at all.

The Black Cherry felt is delightfully well finished and so soft, way better feel than my Adventurebilt. I love the blocking of the crown too - no taper here! Thanks John, I really appreciate your craftsmanship!

D31_8213-L.jpg

D31_8215-L.jpg

D31_8216-L.jpg

D31_8219-L.jpg

m0nk

One Too Many
Wow, that truly is a beautiful hat. Great work John!! It's neat to see a hat in the same style and dimensions, but different color felt.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, guys. John has done a great job with this hat.

Memphis, I haven't measured the hat but I believe the crown to be about 5 3/4 (open crown) with the brim 2 3/4 front and back, 2 1/2 at the sides. Those are the dimensions mentioned at Indy Gear, but John might tweak them depending on the owners head size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto