Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penman Hats

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

Well, that's a beauty, all right. I've never wanted an Indy fedora as it's pretty far from my personal style, but that does not mean that I don't know a good one when I see it.

Thanks for the SOC definition. I knew I'd seen that before somewhere, but could not recall. I usually get the movie title acronyms, but this one sailed right past me.

I've watched Raiders again this weekend. There's another thread where we've been chatting about Toht's black hat and the basic specs as far as we can figure them out - same block, non dimensional brim cut (maybe, it's hard to tell), edge binding, etc.

I never thought of it before, but now I see where the same block must have been used to make a lot of the hats in Raiders. All the Gestapo bunch seem to sport one, even the nameless pick-up guys in Cairo.

It's all interesting, and I'm sorry that I pretty much passed this whole Indy discussion thing by for years.

I see where you've found a good guy to make them, all right.

Sweet.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
bendingoak said:
Wow, i didn't know i was getting 600 for any of my hats. thats news to me.

Paypal's fees are getting WAY out of hand these days! :p

Actually, Sam, you're probably thinking of the AB or AB deluxe prices. It should be noted that Penman's are currently much less than that. One of the reasons I have stopped buying AB's, and never bought an AB deluxe, was because of the price. My AB is from the earlier, more affordable days! In other words, I love my Indy hats, but even I can't find my way to paying $600 for one.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
If there was a "smily" for abject humiliation, I would insert it here.:eek: will have to suffice

My point wasn't so much to do with Mr. Penman's prices as custom Hollywood hats in general and the overlap between styles we appreciate ... craftsmanship that we are willing to pay for and the public's perception that we are somehow "copying" a look they are familiar with

I believe the original comment was to the effect that a certain look was passe and I would suggest these classics are never passe

I have a good friend who NEVER wears anything other than a derby

I suppose you could accuse him of having a Chaplain obsession, though I know that isn't the case

He just loves that particular style of hat

The whole discussion on my part was undoubtedly :eek:fftopic: and since one of my goals is to budget in this hat company in the future, I'd just as soon not create any ill-will

Thanks so much,
:eusa_doh: Sam

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Ok, I just have to post some better pics of my Penman because the previous ones do not do it justice.

Well, ok, these might not either, but it's an improvement! ;)

It got its first rain the other day, so I did just a tiny bit of brim shaping and accentuated the details of the bash. This is a really great hat!

I

Ian

I'll second that!!! :)

Is it rabbit or beaver? (Sorry if you've already said this) - Either way, an awesome lid. I like the way it goes with casual dress as well. You got any formal shots?

Ian

I

Ian

Ian said:
Yes it is the CS that Steve made for me. Sorry I don't know the crown height, it's a bit difficult to measure, but the brim specs are pretty much as per your raiders (the brim is also difficult to measure becasue of the radius in the crown/brim transition). Steve never told me the specs, he just asked for my 3 sizes and had a picture of me. I think the brim on the Fed IV in the earlier pictures is shy of the dimensions stated on the website.

John,

Just re-measured the brim on the Fed IV and the brim is actually 2 1/4 " on the sides to 2 1/2" from and back. I guess that's why it looks small. I haven't trimmed it. The AB is actually 2 1/2" on the sides and 2 3/4" front and back.

Ian

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
I know I'm a day late and a dollar short on potential thread names for this thread, but how about:

Show Your Best Penman'ship

Kind of a play on words a little bit. I apologize if somebody already came up with that one. I didn't go through all ten pages to find out.

Cheers,

RJ:)

I

Ian

bendingoak said:
The CS specs are 5 1/2 open crown with a dim. brim of 2 3/4 x 2 1/2.

Aye. I think in an earlier post I said it was 2 7/8" x 2 5/8" dim. cut. I measured wrong. :eusa_doh:

Ian

I

Ian

Redwoodjedi said:
I know I'm a day late and a dollar short on potential thread names for this thread, but how about:

Show Your Best Penman'ship

Kind of a play on words a little bit. I apologize if somebody already came up with that one. I didn't go through all ten pages to find out.

Cheers,

Well, when mine turns up, it'll be splashed around these pages for sure! :) :)

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
Ian said:
Just wondered what happens when I hit 40 posts. :p
:eek:fftopic: I think when you hit 50 you become "A Familiar Face".

I've been lurking and not participating on these boards for a couple of years so I kinda know how they work a little bit.

ryang

New in Town
Thought I'd post up my Penman - it's the prototype for the "SPIRIT of Barney." I got it a while back and love wearing it. One of these days I'll have to get another Penman - true quality craftsmanship.

IMG_1697b.jpg

Phantasm

New in Town
jlee562 said:
Ok, I just have to post some better pics of my Penman because the previous ones do not do it justice.

Well, ok, these might not either, but it's an improvement! ;)

It got its first rain the other day, so I did just a tiny bit of brim shaping and accentuated the details of the bash. This is a really great hat!

What color is that felt? The ribbon really works well with that blue gray.

What style is John calling that one?

thanks!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Phantasm said:
What color is that felt? The ribbon really works well with that blue gray.

What style is John calling that one?

thanks!

It's actually black, there's just some weird lighting going on, plus I have cheapo digital cam.

Don't think John has named it, I just asked him for something that resembled the "Public Enemies" Dillinger hat.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
dimensions

Jlee,

you may have posted this elsewhere, but what are the dimensions on that hat?

brim, crown etc.

if the felt is black, then what is the true color of that ribbon? it looks like a lush purple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy