Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penman vs Black Sheep

CDunlap

New in Town
Hello gentlemen.

I've been a long time member here on the lounge, but I believe this is my first official posting on here. I like everyone else on here am a big fan of the classic fedora look, but I'm an owner of none. I'm looking to change that in the near future. I want to have a hat made so badly I can hardly stand it. I'm looking at either having one made by black sheep (Bob?) or John Penman. Can you guys give me some advice as to which would be the better choice for a first time purchase? I realize this is like asking a group of men what the best car in the world is, so I'm specifically wondering about the pounce work from each. How do they compare? Also the level of felt stiffness from Bob. I know John is renowned for his clay like felt softness and mold ability. This is what I'm looking for, but I like the prices and styles from Black Sheep as well. I'm caught between two choices fellas. Can you help the new guy out?

I have three hats from Black Sheep, and they are in my regular rotation for several years now, still looking like new. They always receive great comments, are easy to care for, and hold true to size. And as an added plus, Bob Jesse is a real regular guy, who may be the most creative hatter out there. You'll like doing business with him!

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
You're not going to go wrong with either of those two choices. I think one is as good as the other. If this helps, I think Bob's prices are more affordable than Penman's, from what I saw. I'm seriously considering having one made by Black Sheep. Bob's a real artist.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Hello gentlemen.

I've been a long time member here on the lounge, but I believe this is my first official posting on here. I like everyone else on here am a big fan of the classic fedora look, but I'm an owner of none. I'm looking to change that in the near future. I want to have a hat made so badly I can hardly stand it. I'm looking at either having one made by black sheep (Bob?) or John Penman. Can you guys give me some advice as to which would be the better choice for a first time purchase? I realize this is like asking a group of men what the best car in the world is, so I'm specifically wondering about the pounce work from each. How do they compare? Also the level of felt stiffness from Bob. I know John is renowned for his clay like felt softness and mold ability. This is what I'm looking for, but I like the prices and styles from Black Sheep as well. I'm caught between two choices fellas. Can you help the new guy out?

I have just completed my first order with Black Sheep and I can already tell you I will be buying multiple more from Bob. He has taken immaculate care of me and the sizing kit and felt samples were great service. I got to see ribbon and felt examples in person rather than on a computer screen which made my decision easier.

Asmo

One of the Regulars
I have two Penman hats (one rabbit and one beaver) and one Black Sheep (beaver). All are very well made and durable hats (they are 4+ years old).
Both makers are easy to work with and you can tell both guys really love what they do.
I'd say you can't go wrong with either maker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDunlap

New in Town
Wow, I'm surprised I got such a quick response! I had settled with going with a Penman, but now that I read your posts...I'm feeling swayed the other way. What level of stiffness do Bob's hats have? I want something just on the stiff side of floppy. Something I can easily change the bash in if I choose. Any more help you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Flip a coin. Both are skilled craftsman.

Gun to my head? Bob at Blacksheep. His aesthetic is more appealing to my eye. I feel his hats reflect a combination of vintage and modern. He's done two custom hats for me and refurbished two others. I'm wearing a Stetson Homburg I just recently got back from him at the moment, in fact.

CDunlap

New in Town
Thanks for the input guys. The more I think about it, the more sense it seems to make to go with Bob. Now I just have to make the decision regarding style and color :kick:

Anybody else that wants to drop their $0.02 worth is welcome to it. I'm always open to thoughts and opinions.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Keep in mind that Bob has done a lot of hats that don't appear as models on his website. He just posted this one to facebook the other day, for example:
18221_10153588294276679_6442928717827325850_n.jpg

Asmo

One of the Regulars
Keep in mind that Bob has done a lot of hats that don't appear as models on his website.

Good point to make. The one he made for me was just based on general dimensions, felt color, and ribbon treatment. It's one of my favorite hats.
32b2fd7c113a19ae3769010cf59dadbc.jpg

Sorry, I only have this one picture on my phone right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOuten2

Familiar Face
I can't make acomparison between the two, but I can tell you that a Penman hat is a fine hat. I have two of John's "The Penman" models, and will be placing an order for a third shortly. I love style and dimensions of this hat, I have looked at the Blacksheep website, and might eventually buy one of theirs, but I want one more Penman for the rotation first.

Tim

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I have hats from both hatmakers and you can be assured that both John and Bob make some of the best quality hats out there.

As has already been mentioned, Bob Jesse is probably the most creative hatmaker out there - he often customizes the felt and ribbon colours and there seems to be nothing he can't do.

Penman tends to be typecast as an Indiana Jones hatmaker and while this is how he started, he also has a range of good styles and his work is first class. John doesn't use any automation when making his hats, every stitch is done by hand, and my Black Cherry Penman hat is one of the best made hats I own (of any era).

For me, the only downside of buying from John is that he needs 100% payment upfront, while Bob asks for a 50% deposit and the balance when the hat is ready to ship. With leadtimes running into several months, I prefer to spread the payments. He seems to be booked solid for months ahead so it seems this isn't an issue for many people.

It really is impossible to say which custom hatmaker is best. As well as Black Sheep and Penman, I have custom hats from Art's VS and TonyB's Tumwater. All are great and each hatmaker is fun to work with.

Karlos

New in Town
Just made the deposit for a hat by Master Bob.
Current lead time: almost half a year!
This is what is called being victim of its own success!
Definitely an obvious evidence of excellence!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy