Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People are just too afraid to have fun!

Shimmy Sally

The troupe I perform with is all about audience participation. People jump at the chance to sing and dance and make jokes. So maybe it's just about the genre and the environment. If Nora Jones is playing, I don't feel much like dancing, for example.

Novella

Practically Family
Yeah, that's the truth, and it's a shame. Although people do get their kicks in different ways, and quiet things may make some people happier than doing things like dancing and singing.

For me, I don't generally sing by myself in public, although it's fun to sing along with a group of people. I'm more for dancing and laughing because those things put me in a way better mood than singing does. I'll laugh about almost anything and I'll dance how I feel like. The day I stop laughing at life and myself I should be shot.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Well, I gotta admit to being severly fun impaired. At parties I always make the floor tiles look like they're having more fun that I am, even when a favourite song is played (which is highly rare). Am I nuts of simply a big old stiff?

Feraud

Bartender
All of this supposes fun consists solely of dancing...and drinking.:)
How about the good old fashioned prank! Does anyone like good natured pranks? Exploding cigars, invisible ink, buzzers, etc? Unfortunately I did not have enough room in my bags for the QM to include the fart bags, fake dog poop, etc.
There is always next year...;)

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I like practical jokes with a quirky sense of humor.Invisible ink,hand buzzers and such don't get much of a giggle from me,though.
The 1st salon that I worked at the owner loved to play practical jokes,but not always pc or in good taste.He pretended to be a client one day and called the manicurist and asked her if she could discount his manicure since he only had 3 fingers per hand,so really she was only doing half the work.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Whether I have fun at a party depends on the crowd. When I was young, I was very old for my age and didn't fit in with others my age. And I never could see the point of drinking to the point of illness. (Nevertheless, I do like practical jokes. It's gotten to the point where my coworkers blame me for ones that I didn't pull.)

However, a few years ago my sister-in-law took me to a party where there were fairly sophisticated people from all over the world. They were connected with the nonprofit she works for. I really enjoyed talking to the people there.

And of course, when my best friend and I get together, we make each other laugh.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Oh, who said you have to be drunk to have fun? I hardly ever drink and if I do only a couple. I'm usually having more fun than anyone! Just enjoy the company, enjoy the moment.

I do like dancing but I wouldn't force anyone to if they didn't want to. I just encourage those who want to but feel shy or embaressed!

benstephens

Practically Family
I think a lot of people do need a little bit of alcohol, it lowers inhibitions. However, Miss Sis, you can be a bit mad, and you have dragged me up dancing to an audience before ;-)

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Perhaps people are simply becoming more reserved culturally. Certainly the advent of cameras everywhere may be part of the equation. We used to make fun of the British as being stuffy. Well they may have been in public but were quite normal in private in all aspects of "fun" related activities be they sexual or otherwise.

Drinking and dancing in public is by no means a qualifier for "fun." I believe that those who wish to have any kind of "fun" should be encouraged to do so as long as they are not engaging in illegal or socially hurtfull activities.

If we as a society are actually becoming more conservative in social situations that is not necissarily a bad thing only a thing. Social mores, cultural values and perceptions ebb and flow with history. It's not good or bad just something that occurs.:)

Big Brother is Watching You!

Surveillance is not by nature a conservative or liberal aspect of society. It is in response to criminal activities and terrorism and the fact that the technology is available to business. Here in the US, I don't recall seeing any footage of a bar or restaurant (other than fast food) being shown on the news to illustrated a crime occurring. Here we tend to see Liquor store , small neighborhood markets, 7-11's, banks and fast food places giving camera footage for robberies. Great public areas such as stadiums, airports and skyscraper office buildings will have surveillance in common areas and parking areas too. But the pub surveillance seems disturbing. Is hooliganism rampant there?

On alcohol and dancing, all things in moderation!
(Even sometimes moderation in moderation!)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Cell phone cameras seem to be everywhere, though. Who wants a picture or video of themselves on the Internet or distributed via e-mail dancing like Elaine on Seinfeld?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner