Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perfection Portable Steamer

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
A couple of years ago, before buying my first furfelt fedora, my wife wanted a portable steamer for X-mas. She saw one in a Walgreen's ad for about $30. I forgot all about it, she's used it once or twice. I just used it to remove the liner from my Campdraft. Didn't need a sharp knife for the long strips of glue, the steamer heated the glue and the liner pulled away.

I've used it to clean a Dobbs hat I got off OFAS. I've used it to shape or finalize a bash. This thing shoots a blast of steam when filled with tap water only. It heats up quickly and works nicely. Cleans, sanitizes and deodorizes per the ad copy on the box. This unit is the Perfection Steamer and is definitely a step above the tea kettle. Here is a pic with attachments.

Perfection_steamer_cr-1.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I've got one like that too. Bought it expressly for steaming hats. But DANG, the thing will rip your hide off if you're not careful. Not feeling that I could really control its steamy power I went back to the tea kettle (and most often, just water) to shape hats while keeping the gizmo handy if I need to clean my engine or something. :p

G'luck with yours. They do really work - just too well for me to handle.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Gene, my wife doesn't think it's as powerful as what she was hoping for. She wanted to clean dirt and grime that builds up on appliances, like the top of the fridge. She was going to un-wrinkle some of my neckties and other clothes, but wasn't so satisfied with the results. I'm not sure what you have, but this unit seems very useable for the hat work I applied it to. The Dobbs I bought looked good on ebay, but the hat must have been through a dust storm. First I worked on it with a sponge and you could see the dust billow off. So, I went over it with my air compressor and recently cleaned with the steamer. It's very hot, but did not burn my skin.

I usually just use distilled water in a spray bottle. It's true it might be for the outer extreme fringe of hat work, I appreciate your 2 cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot