Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Period A-2 Art Work - Cast your eyes around these pictures and weep.

D

Deleted member 16736

Swingin' On A Star is beautiful. It's inspiring me to buy a new A-2 and have it painted (I'm a swing dancer).

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
These pictures are phenomenal. Some of the artwork is very basic and some of it is very intricate. All of them are great. I wish the Navy would have done more of this during the war. I wish we were still able to do this today. If this were to show up in a squadron today, you would be in the CO’s office getting your butt chewed.

SMF144

New in Town
At least you guys are allowed to do some form of nose art on the planes and wear leather jackets. I wish the RCAF would be allowed to do get back into the glory days of post war squadron colours.

Stephen

Otter

One Too Many
"Miss Gee Eyewanta (Go Home)"

There is a coincidence, I have a '70's Cooper A2 with a full reproduction of that jacket, got it from a relative of the bombardier on that plane. He used to wear it to reunions. Will try and figure out how to post some photos of it later. Funnily enough the jacket I have looks to have been censored, the young lady on the back was naked and her clothing was painted ontop of the first painting. It is flaking slightly now and you can seee the flesh tones coming through from the painting underneath. I wonder if the genuine one was the same.

Joel, loved that Swingin' On A Star, I have the book The Art of the Flight Jacket and that is one of the nicest I have seen.

Hopalong

One of the Regulars
I bought a large poster that was being sold over 10 years ago showing these 401st BG A-2's and I bought it because I had an original "Hell's Henchmen" A-2 in my collection. Mine also had bombs on the front of the jacket and the woman on the back was painted on cloth and sewn on the jacket.
Mike

mdove

Familiar Face
If any of you guys ever get to Dayton OH check out the Air Force museum. There is a real nice collection of authentic jackets complete with art, and lots of planes with nose art. Also have some Presidential planes. Check out their web site.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner