Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Period flatware

Teabag1927

Familiar Face
This is sort of an odd subject, but i enjoy it.

Does anyone here other than myself collect/use flatware from the Golden Era ? Post your photos ! I shall post some of mine shortly.

Teabag1927

Familiar Face
Here's some of my good stuff. These are samples of some of my best sets.

"Chevron" 1933
Queen038.jpg

Queen039.jpg

" Glamour" 1931
Queen040.jpg

Queen041.jpg

" Bird of Paradise" 1923

Queen035.jpg

"Lovelace" 1936

Queen043.jpg

Queen044.jpg

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Not vintage...

colfax_lg1.jpg

...but a re-issue of a 1920s pattern in the 1990s. It's worth noting that, while Art Deco is very associated with the 1930s, colonial/neoclassical revival was more prevalent. Restoring Colonial Williamsburg, the 150th anniversary, etc were major influences.

Jay

Practically Family
Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but how do you date silverware? Is there a date stamped on the stuff?

Teabag1927

Familiar Face
No, the only date that is stamped is usually the date the manufacturer was established, or sometimes a pattern date. You date silverware by finding out first who manufactured it, which is almost always stamped on the underside of the handle, secondly you find out the name of the pattern, ( such as Lovelace, or Chevron) and then from that you can research and decipher when the manufacturer produced those patterns.

Then, of course, there is always what materials the flatware consists of, modern stuff just isn't the same.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Community "Coronation"

which was issued to commemorate the coronation of Edward VIII (which of course never took place) in 1936.

I have the full service for 8, plus lots of extras, built up over the years on Ebay and at antique shows. It isn't rare, it was very popular through the 50s.

I like it that it has the Streamlined handles and fancy floral ends.

coronationcommunity1936place.jpg

Image756.jpg

Teabag1927

Familiar Face
That's gorgeous '29 !

I love how you have an original advertisement for that pattern, that's so awesome.

1936 happens to be my favorite year all together, including for flatware, cudos on putting together your sets !

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
It's...

Teabag1927 said:
That's gorgeous, do you happen to know the pattern ? I may be able to find originals in my period flatware sources, it would be neat to compare.

...Gorham Colfax. I'm not sure the original was Gorham, but it was Colfax. Replacements Limited sometimes carries the 1920s version. There are some differences. Our pattern is "European" or "Dinner" sized, versus most patterns, so the pieces are different than the original.

I think that Colfax has been discontinued again. Hasn't something happened to Gorham too? We have a service for eight with the requisite serving pieces, so we weren't particularly concerned.

We might have been wiser to get "Fairfax" which was the same shape, minus the ornamentation. The pieces were smaller, and much more widely available -- and cheaper.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thanks SO much for starting this thread. I keep spotting sets at flea markets and antique malls and I've seen most of these patterns. There's a whole set of the "coronation" pattern nearby.

Teabag1927

Familiar Face
That Coronation pattern is gorgeous. antique malls are a great place to find them. At an antique mall near my home, they had a whole chest full of period flatware for $0.40 a piece...yes thats right...40 cents, i spent wayyy too much money but i got an outrageous amount of flatware. I wish i could find more of the " Glamour" pattern from '31, its very deco.

Miss 1929

Teabag1927 said:
That's gorgeous '29 !

I love how you have an original advertisement for that pattern, that's so awesome.

1936 happens to be my favorite year all together, including for flatware, cudos on putting together your sets !

I admit to lifting the ad from the internet!

It did take a while to assemble it - the only items I am missing are the sugar tongs and more iced tea spoons. I even have the coveted bon bon server and the tomato server!

Deauville is another pattern I love but too many of my friends have it. Plus Coronation was my grandmother's pattern - although all I got of hers was 1 spoon. To get me started on the sickness that is silver collecting...

Miss 1929

scotrace said:
Are the patterns mentioned here stainless or plate?

Stainless wasn't invented yet!
Well, the metal was, in 1912, then patented in 1918, used for munitions, and architecture (like the Chrysler Building!). But I don't think that stainless flatware came in until at least the 50s, maybe the 60s.

I use it for daily, but I don't care for it much, although it goes better with my deco chrome stuff. But for anything remotely formal, I break out the good stuff. I also have lots of silver plate serving dishes, trays, champagne buckets, etc. It is amazing what you fond at the Goodwill that only takes a little polishing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran