Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Personal Rules for Vintage Shopping?

The Shirt

Practically Family
The way I deal with my vintage purse use dilemma is to consolidate what I put into them. Generally my 50s purses are around the same size. I found a nice compact wallet and a cute smallish makeup bag. I just grab those 2 plus my keys and phone and I'm out the door. I rotate 2-3 during the weekend and weekends I put more thought into it.

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
Purse dilemma solved!

Yesterday I found a gray bag at an antique store that I love...It's exactly what I've been looking for. I'm not sure how old it is, but I love it, the price was right, and when I got home with it, the Mister took one look at it and said, "That's you."

The only marking inside says "nonleather" followed by a bunch of numbers. It's gray (nonleather) that looks like a slightly marbled patent material with a suede-like strip along the top near the clasp. So, looks vontage, feels sturdy, cheap enough so I won't mind if it gets worn out.

Now I just need to switch to a smaller compact and find a smaller wallet...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I have 3 rules for vintage shopping (not in any particular order):

1. What is the condition and what repairs are necessary? Does it fit me properly? I'm long over buying anything that needs anything more than simple repairs like stitching up loose seams or hemming. Anything that requires fitting isn't worth it because it will sit with my sewing stuff for years and I will never get to wear it.

2. Can I wear it to work? I have a few vintage cocktail dresses, and chances to wear them are few and far between. I have some that I've only been able to wear once or twice, if at all. I buy vintage to enjoy it. Sure, I like looking at it in my closet, but I like WEARING it more!

3. Do i think it's a good deal and if so, do I really have the money to purchase it? Until I become either independently wealthy or marry someone rich, I cannot afford to buy things just to have them.

4. Is it authentic?

I am so done with buying fitted clothes on Ebay. Skirts tend to work all right (especially circle skirts), but I'm not sure I've ever purchased a dress on Ebay that fit me properly. It's not worth the trouble. I have to be able to try it on, and I like supporting my local retailers who recognize me as a regular and will often cut me deals because of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL