Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photographs Of Hats Fresh From Surviving The Elements

But without an umbrella your clothes get wet. [huh]

A couple of flakes of snow in London. Widespread panic grips the populace. Terrorism not suspected.

Apologies for the poor quality, reversed pic. The old Mac has not so good a camera attached to it. It was only snowing so i didn't bother putting my umbrella up. A 30s hat willingly covered in snow. Most of it had melted on my way upstairs … The label on this one says: Aux Galeries Lafayette. 1 & 3 Rue Lafayette, Paris.

WeatherHatfeb6th.JPG

bk

billyspew said:
bk, love the ribbon on that. Looks like a very nice hat.

It is an absolutely stunning hat. In the grand traditions of French felt. The bow on the ribbon is of the "shark's gill"* variety. Multiple folds all "opening" towards the rear of the hat. It also has the frayed bow edges that were popular for a while.

I'll post good pics of this hat when i get my web hosting sorted out. If it's possible, the touch of snow seems to have made this hat even softer than it was before.

bk

sharkgills.jpg

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
But without an umbrella your clothes get wet. [huh]

A couple of flakes of snow in London. Widespread panic grips the populace. Terrorism not suspected.

Apologies for the poor quality, reversed pic. The old Mac has not so good a camera attached to it. It was only snowing so i didn't bother putting my umbrella up. A 30s hat willingly covered in snow. Most of it had melted on my way upstairs … The label on this one says: Aux Galeries Lafayette. 1 & 3 Rue Lafayette, Paris.

WeatherHatfeb6th.JPG

bk

I had an overcoat on to keep my clothes dry.Very nice hat, BTW.The more I see tall crowns the more I like them.

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Got into heavy snow on my way home..I was extremly happy to have my hat with me:) Most of the snow from my jacket had melted on my way inside my room, it initially was all white when I arrived.
Had a nice even layer of snow on the hat..did not seem to bother it at all:)
CIMG4927.jpg

As much as I love that jacket, I wish I had a longer overcoat..my trousers got a bit wet:eusa_doh:

carter

I'll Lock Up
BK, That is a stunning hat! Are there more pictures of said hat posted on the lounge? I'm also fascinated by the rest of your outfit. The topcoat and tie look very nice. Have you posted in the What are You Wearing Today thread? I know this is a bit :eek:fftopic: but I'd like to see a full-body shot of what you were wearing on this day.

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Dumbjaw said:
Luke: What kind of hat is that?

It's a modern stetson my girlfriend gave me as a present last year. There's no model name in it, so I can't really say much about it. The sweatband is cloth rather than leather and it is 100% furfelt (written on the sweatband). Oh yeah, and it has my initials on the sweatband..nice touch from the hat-shop:)

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
Which halls are you staying in? I certainly recognise that chair!! (I was in Johnson hall my first year.)

bk

Yes, that hideous thing is not hard to recognise:D
I'm in Linksfield Halls..I'm studying at RGU. Had just been walking along King Street when that heavy snow came down.

It's weird that Aberdeen University and Bobby G's use the same chairs in their halls … Or maybe RGU got Aberdeen's cast-offs on the cheap?

carter said:
BK, That is a stunning hat! Are there more pictures of said hat posted on the lounge? I'm also fascinated by the rest of your outfit. The topcoat and tie look very nice. Have you posted in the What are You Wearing Today thread? I know this is a bit :eek:fftopic: but I'd like to see a full-body shot of what you were wearing on this day.

'Fraid not. The hat is quite new to me so i haven't posted it yet. I'm working on a website to host all the images of my stuff, so when that's up and going, i can start showing my hats again. The overcoat is a Montague Burton bespoke department creation from the 1930s. The tie is my one and only remaining 1940s tie, with weird flower print.

bk

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Modern Stetson

I know modern Stetsons get a lot of criticism here (from me too) but my Chatham was fine when I had to walk in snow for 45 minutes yesterday. When I got home I just wiped the snow off with my hand (wouldn't want it melting and getting the hat wet and the dye running) and it was fine. So while modern Stetsons are not a good idea in rain, they are fine in snow. That's the fantastic thing about snow - it never ruins your clothes.

kiltie

Practically Family
No pics...

...unfortunately, but every once in a while we get a decent ( quarter size and bigger ) hail here. My Akubra Adventurer made a good helmet last night when I had to go out and cover my car. It sounded like a small battlefield on my head...

Goose.

Practically Family
I'm thinking that Luke 42 had this thread beat (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=729296&postcount=26).
DANG! Then it rained here and I had to go out. Kids are moved out so now I gotta brave the elements to take out the garbage. Know you can see the terror in my eyes...like a cat in the rain...and I appreciate the sympahty in advance my fedora brethren...it's been hell.

Click the pic:

Oh, the lid is my Akubra Casual

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
charlie farley said:
Oh the joy of not needing an umbrella! and having a warm head when you get home.

I agree on a warm head, but I have an umbrella fetish :rolleyes: I suppose it would be impractical to do both.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
My soaked Akubra (not DM) Adventurer. A day at the Olustee Downtown fair.
adventurer-soaked2.jpg

Within an hour of returning home and hanging it up....it was dry again and ready to go back out in the elements...:D

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HPIM0492.jpg

I worn this Beaver Hats out in todays storm to placing sand bags and cleanout roof dains . It was almost dry from the water dip and steam brushing I gave it yesterday to remove 3 months of construction dust that settled in.
HPIM0484.jpg

Stetson vintage 7X worn out in the storm today while hunting drift on the beach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112