Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photographs Of Hats Fresh From Surviving The Elements

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I think you may be missing the point of this thread. There's been so many posts from people asking if their hat (doesn't matter which one) will survive getting wet. I remember reading posts from people wondering whether or not they should have an umbrella just in case it rains. So pictures like mine just reinforce what you said. Yes a hat can survive a storm... Well that and I just like seeing wet hats.
:D
Don't get me wrong, I was not trying to belittle folks for this interest, as i realize there is some generational difference here and many folks have not had the experience I and others like myself have had with hats and the wearing of them. And as for looking at wet hats, when they get wet, you can see another color of your hat :)

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
10-26-10a.jpg

The above is right after I wallked in the door. As usual, the Fed was soaked, but the glasses didn't have a spot on them!

That is the number one reason I started wearing wide brim hats, keeps the rain off the glasses! Functionality is key. Looks like your Fed is holding up well and looking good.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Squatter just got its first proper rainstorm. It has been rained on before, but this was this first downpour. I wasn't out very long, although I will be out again later. At the moment it is open crowned, unsnapped, and with a stretcher keeping it from shrinking, probably all unnecessary, but reassuring nonetheless.
Photo23.jpg

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Well, I finally have an entry. This actually happened a few weeks ago, but I forgot about the pics until today! Anyhow, this is a vintage Knox acquired from a member here, and it has become one of my favorites. I got caught in an unexpected shower.

5127064823_e6fa2e47b2.jpg

5127063969_e64c928877.jpg

5127061349_5a5f1c47f6.jpg

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
My Stetson Nostalgia shrank a full size last year when it got wet the second time. I keep seeing here that hats should survive rain storms, but I wonder what "survive" them means. It still holds together, but...

On the other hand, my two Fed IVs both got soaked and never shrank a bit. I guess it just depends on the maker.

My Stetson Nostalgia shrank a full size last year when it got wet the second time. I keep seeing here that hats should survive rain storms, but I wonder what "survive" them means. It still holds together, but...

On the other hand, my two Fed IVs both got soaked and never shrank a bit. I guess it just depends on the maker.

It does indeed depend on the maker and the quality of the hat that they produce. I am sorry to hear that happened to you but it is not the first time I have heard it happen.:eusa_doh:
A hat not made for the weather is not a hat at all---its a part of a costume.[huh]:rolleyes:

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab

Yep. I know what you mean. I try to keep certain lids out of the rain, because I don't consider shrinking to count as "surviving." But then, I don't have many hats left that can't handle water. As a rule, anything modern that gets wet is by accident, except Akubras.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Tennessee, that former Ausie hat has "shor-nuff" turned Western !! I'm likin' it more and more. Get some more curl in that brim and you'll be there !!! Ya done good guy , proud of ya :) Now ya need to come down here and go thru one of our Huge summer downpours which tcan then turn to a duststorm !! Wet felt and West Texas dust will set it right :)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tennessee, that former Ausie hat has "shor-nuff" turned Western !! I'm likin' it more and more. Get some more curl in that brim and you'll be there !!! Ya done good guy , proud of ya :) Now ya need to come down here and go thru one of our Huge summer downpours which tcan then turn to a duststorm !! Wet felt and West Texas dust will set it right :)

Thank you, pard'!
There was a lot more curl, but it was raining at an angle today so I lowered the curl of the brim for added cover. It will be curled back up shortly (felt is amazing!).
I was thinking about adding a tad bit o' dust to the hat, but here in the big T, we mostly have red clay lol...not sure that would look to good [huh]. I may be going to Sin City over the winter holidays (don't know why, not much there I haven't done already that's legal for someone my age :)), maybe I'll pick up some desert dust there.

DRB

One Too Many
Hearing the piter pater of rain on my hats designated for rainwear brings me happiness for some reason.
MontrealMarch2010a11.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Seeing your hat it reminds me of two things 1) Even these modern hats are remarkable when it comes to taking the weather and then snapping back into shape and 2) crap, winter's coming.
:p

I totally agree with you as to point #2. As for point #1, this lid dates to the late 50's...;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters