Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photographs Of Hats Fresh From Surviving The Elements

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
My turn! Being in Belgium inevitably leads to being subjected to periods of rain. Being one who walks a lot on foot, the twain...meet. Today, 5 november 2009, I walked about one hour in windy drizzle. Not a rainstorm, just very fine, consistant, precipitation.

Here's how it affected my Akubar Campdraft, which had been previously sprayed with a "European Scotchguard substitute" weather-proofer:

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

It didn't affect me in the least! Live the season, come rain or come shine!

IMG_1469.jpg

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
Chatham and Rain

It was raining lightly as I left the restaurant and took off across the parking lot when one heck of a cloud burst, busted, big time, right over my head. I was in the rain for about a minute. When I got in the car, I tossed my hat on the seat and snapped a shot. The black stuff on the bottom edges is the leather case on the cell phone. The shiny stuff on the left side of the brim is rainwater. :eek: The underside of the felt was dry, but the top was soaked in good.

120209_1323.jpg

For color comparison, here is the hat in a previous shot a few weeks earlier:

100_0270.JPG

I drove home to change (pants soaked through) and hung the hat on the wall and then lightly daubed at the felt with paper towel to draw some of the moisture out. Now, this hat has been blocked and cleaned recently and has never shown the "stetson powder" but I could see that the water dripping off was lightly colored. Here is the evidence:

120309_1435.jpg

120309_1436.jpg

Even with the paper towel, the water soaked through to the other side in about an hour (the underside of the brim was dry at first). This is what is called "soaked to the core." I put in a stretcher to keep the sweat band honest and then propped the stretcher on a hat stand to air dry. Today (two days later) the hat is dry and shows no shrinkage, no tapering, and has kept its shape. So there's another score for Stetson quality.

On the other hand, HATCO, hows that powder thing working out for ya'll at Stetson? Had enough yet?

carldelo

One Too Many
marvelgoose said:

EEK! - that is one soggy dog - but it came out OK, is that correct? Vive le Chatham....

I once had something similar happen with coffee (!) leaking from an overhead bin and filling the top of my vintage Cavanagh - but it didn't stain or distort the felt if you can believe it.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Adventure Supply Indy Fedora

DSC_3766.jpg

I already posted this in the what hat are you wearing today thread, but it's a nice cool, rainy day in Orlando.

This hat, an Adventure Supply Indy lid, with it's beaver content handles water like a champ.

Randy

marvelgoose said:
Even with the paper towel, the water soaked through to the other side in about an hour (the underside of the brim was dry at first). This is what is called "soaked to the core." I put in a stretcher to keep the sweat band honest and then propped the stretcher on a hat stand to air dry. Today (two days later) the hat is dry and shows no shrinkage, no tapering, and has kept its shape. So there's another score for Stetson quality.

On the other hand, HATCO, hows that powder thing working out for ya'll at Stetson? Had enough yet?

I think you gave the hat quite a leg up by putting it on a stretcher to dry. It might well have tapered and/or shrunk if you had let it dry without the stretcher.
I went out in a heavy rain last week to clean gutters on my roof in a modern Panizza. It got good and wet. I thought it performed fairly well and didn't leak until I took the hat off. It left a black mark on my forehead. This from a hat that says right inside the hat that it is "waterproof." :eusa_doh: :rolleyes: Riiiiiiggghhht. [huh]
The Panizza also took two days to dry out---not on a stretcher. It shrunk a bit as well but loosened up after I wore it a while.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Akubra Drover

4170692948_e2cdd4735c_b.jpg
4169901439_c8912cabff_o.jpg

1 Hour+ of driving Rain/Snow. Soaked through both top and bottom surfaces in a few locations. Has been sprayed with NikWax. Should have used a Prophylactic.:eusa_doh: Soaked through to my shirt inside the down jacket.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Best friends

Just back from a jaunt with my best buddy!

hpim2071.jpg

20722073.jpg

Shake shake it shake it off baby now
Shake it off baby
Twist and bark
twist and bark

MCrider

A-List Customer
Here's the latest (but a little overdue) pic of my Fed IV on Christmas morning. No snow but lots of rain!

S5031255.jpg

Just a quick walk from the car to my In-Laws house, but enough to wet it down. But once it dried, it was like it never happened. I love those Akubra's

:)

theinterchange

One Too Many
Since I never get to show photos of SNOW...

I'll have to settle for photos of my hats fresh from shielding my head from rain.

IMG_0198.jpg

This is actually the first time I've worn my Federation in the rain.

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn