Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photographs Of Hats Fresh From Surviving The Elements

macfly

Familiar Face
Hey GT,
are you in New Haven by any chance? i can't quite place it but it almost looks like yale's campus.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stetson 3X

A half hour in the rain with the dog...

3404825690_285822050b.jpg

Goose.

Practically Family
Raining in Oaktown? The Bay Area microclimates are nuts...Sunny and warm towards the S. Bay. Hope your dog doesn't shrink/taper like my Casual did.

Here's a pic of "Not So Fresh From Surviving". Rained on my Casual, oh I guess a month ago. Air dried at room temp. Bummed.

495796005_dEJrt-Th.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That photo was probably from about a month ago.
It's sunny here in Oakland today.

Sorry about your hat! Almost as sad looking as my
dog was after that rain storm:

3404104229_84476514e7.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Modern Stetson gets criticised a lot on the lounge I have found when it comes it durability. I used to criticise it too, but last Saturday I wore my Stetson Chatham (sovereign quality felt) as I walked into town, and of course I got caught in a huge downpour. When it was wet all I did was use it as an opportunity to tighten the front pinch (which I have been unable to do with steam). Once dry the hat had no more taper than when it came, it had not blead dye and there was no difference in quality (other than that the felt was stiffer for a while until I softened it with my hands).

So this shows that modern Stetson will stand rain (at least the sovereign quality felt) and do not deserve all the criticism they get. Unfortunately I have not been able to take pictures as I did not have a camera on me, sorry.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I must agree: I've had a Stetson Temple since 2002, and it's survived plenty of rain/snow without losing its shape, the dye running, or any of the other alleged horrors occurring.

That said, my Akubras are much tougher hats for considerably less money.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
avedwards said:
Modern Stetson gets criticised a lot on the lounge I have found when it comes it durability. I used to criticise it too, but last Saturday I wore my Stetson Chatham (sovereign quality felt) as I walked into town, and of course I got caught in a huge downpour. When it was wet all I did was use it as an opportunity to tighten the front pinch (which I have been unable to do with steam). Once dry the hat had no more taper than when it came, it had not blead dye and there was no difference in quality (other than that the felt was stiffer for a while until I softened it with my hands).

So this shows that modern Stetson will stand rain (at least the sovereign quality felt) and do not deserve all the criticism they get. Unfortunately I have not been able to take pictures as I did not have a camera on me, sorry.

Glad to hear you've had a good experience, too. I have been using one Stetson "Temple" as my rain hat, for going on a year. Not only has it NOT self-destructed, I can still wear it as a dress hat. :)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Sounds like I owe Hatco an apology in the modern Stetson thread, considering that I critisised them in other threads, before I saw the proof of how good my hat actually is.

Pduck

One of the Regulars
UWS Cowboy said:
probably should have taken out my wider brimmed dobbs but then again this one kept my face pretty dry
dobbswet.jpg

Most of us take our hats off before we go swimming!

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
UWS Cowboy said:
probably should have taken out my wider brimmed dobbs but then again this one kept my face pretty dry
dobbswet.jpg

You have probably learned, by now, to do any necessary reshaping of brim or crown, while the hat is still wet, 'cause the way it dries is the way it's gonna be! :)

armod

Familiar Face
I bought my bogart to last me through the winter (it'll be starting soon here)

I can't wait for the first big rain where I'll pair it with a leather jacket and boots.

of course you'll be recieving the pictures here

MCrider

A-List Customer
Before heading out to the garage to work on my bike, I grabbed my trusty Stetson beater. Good thing too, because while I was out there, it started raining - and I mean RAINING. I came back to the house for a drink and this is the result. Keep in mind it's less than 15 feet from my back porch to the garage door. :)

weatherbeater5-1-09.jpg

The hat may have got a bit wet, but there were no spots on my glasses. Again the beater rides to the rescue!

jpbales

Practically Family
Panama

my Panama Bob went through a rainstorm while we went fishing in Savannah this past week. Whether or not you would say it "survived" is in question:
37PanamaSurvivedtheElements.jpg

at one point it looked like a bucket hat with the brim all down on the sides and water pouring through every crevice- it was great!

All it really needs is a lot of reshaping- but a reblocking would be nice too

kkesler

New in Town
Missed this thread the first time around, picture is from this past March. Hat is a Beaver Brand I picked up in the late 80s specifically as a rain hat, and almost every time it has been worn has been in precipitation.

snow-hat-02.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran