Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photographs Of Hats Fresh From Surviving The Elements

MattJH

One Too Many
I thought it could be fun to have a thread to collect images of hats that are fresh from surviving rain, snow, dust, hail, etc., displaying their durability and proven ability to actually protect you from our dear Mother Nature. I like seeing pictures like that, and so, I would assume, would potential buyers. Hopefully I'm not the only one with some images to share, though!

I'll start:

soaked.jpg

My grey Akubra Federation IV Standard after an autumn downpour in 2008. Not only was it no worse for the wear the next day... it was softer and better.

akubra-federation-standard-IV-snow.jpg

My brown Akubra Federation IV Standard after just walking three blocks in this Philadelphia snow. I look forward to the hat's improvement tomorrow.​

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Interesting idea for a thread! It just so happens that I had my wife take a photo of me wearing my Akubra Adventurer after clearing the driveway with the tractor in freezing rain last week. What looks like rain drops on the edge of the brim are actually frozen drops. What may look like a bright red ear is actually my wife's earmuff thingy. And I don't know why it's slightly off center...

FrozenAdventurer.jpg

I find that I have to regularly stretch the sweat band of this hat as it has a tendency to shrink.

Cheers,
Tom

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is a cool idea for a thread. Wish I would've thought of it a month or so ago after I wore my Banjo the blow snow off the driveway.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Tango Yankee said:
Interesting idea for a thread! It just so happens that I had my wife take a photo of me wearing my Akubra Adventurer after clearing the driveway with the tractor in freezing rain last week. What looks like rain drops on the edge of the brim are actually frozen drops. What may look like a bright red ear is actually my wife's earmuff thingy. And I don't know why it's slightly off center...

FrozenAdventurer.jpg

I find that I have to regularly stretch the sweat band of this hat as it has a tendency to shrink.

Cheers,
Tom
Lookin' good Tom...good to see you back and posting! My Adventurer does the same thing...it ran a bit small, and just doesn't sit right. Looks like you tried the infamous "turn" of an Indy hat...and it didn't take....:D :D :eusa_clap

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
jpbales said:
Umbrella's are for girls ;)

You won't have me making any such statements, as there are always exceptions to the rule, but I myself do not use umbrellas. Most of the time, it in fact doesn't rain, and the brolly becomes a useless contraption to forget in the train. Which won't, I assure you, happen to my hat.

Great thread, BTW. I thought of taking a pic of my porkpie hat with snow on it, but the camera was stashed far away in my rucksack, and the idea seemed a bit far out... never say never, hey!

Pablo

DerMann

Practically Family
jpbales said:

Just going to pop in with this E.M. Forster quote:

"All men are created equal - that is to say - all men who possess umbrellas."

A fine quality umbrella is definitely a sartorial must.

Make excellent weapons, too :D

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
jpbales said:

I wouldn't say that but they are impractical as you have to carry them and if it's only drizzling very slightly, you are faced with the question - do you use the umbrella or not? With a hat, it gets worn all the time, so this problem doesn't exist. But if I wanted it as a weapon, I would prefer to us a sword stick instead.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Umbrellas in Wyoming...

would, for the most part, get you laughed out of town. So do those plastic "hat condoms," unless you're a rodeo queen and don't want to lose the rhinestones off your hat. Umbrellas are also not so good when the wind goes over 30 mph, which it does most days in Cheyenne. A stout cane or blackthorn walking stick is a better thug deterrent than an umbrella, and less likely to get you arrested than the proverbial sword cane.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
avedwards said:
I wouldn't say that but they are impractical as you have to carry them and if it's only drizzling very slightly, you are faced with the question - do you use the umbrella or not? With a hat, it gets worn all the time, so this problem doesn't exist. But if I wanted it as a weapon, I would prefer to us a sword stick instead.

I thought you folks called'em bumpershoots?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
carouselvic said:
I thought you folks called'em bumpershoots?

:eek:fftopic: Not that I know although, as sticks have long gone out of use in England (and everywhere else too probably) they are not really referred to at all. But cane or stick are the most common British words used. The sword stick has the advantage that it is not laughed at as soon as the blade is flashed. But I do not recommend carrying one in the street as you may get arrested.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Bumber, it's bumbershoot....

from Wikipedia "An umbrella or parasol (sometimes colloquially, gamp, brolly, or bumbershoot) is a canopy designed to protect against precipitation or sunlight."

Goose.

Practically Family
Raining last month when the Mrs and I were out shopping.
She had her "brollie" and I had my oil cloth packer on my noggin'.
Started raining a bit harder, and she asked if I wanted to buy an umbrella at the store. I said "no, I have my hat. But now that I think of it, I can't ever recall using an umbrella". Maybe I'm missing out on something??? Is there an umbrella forum where I can learn?

Army & Marines don't use 'em:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...0A3575BC0A961958260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

Anyway, the thread started as a request for pics of hats in the element...look at my avatar. That pic was taken right after that hat just came in from the California winter sun. Brutal :D ;)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Colby Jack said:
Lookin' good Tom...good to see you back and posting! My Adventurer does the same thing...it ran a bit small, and just doesn't sit right. Looks like you tried the infamous "turn" of an Indy hat...and it didn't take....:D :D :eusa_clap

Thanks, CJ! I'm working on crawling out from whatever rock I've been hiding under for the past 8 months or so. :p

Funny thing, but I never paid that close attention to the Indy hat--at least, not enough to notice that "turn" that people obsess over!

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ