Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of cool jackets owned by others (non-brand specific)

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Early 20's and 30's leather jackets were often unlined so it is an old tradition but I know that doesn't necessarily sell the idea. I've actually owned an unlined jacket and found it worked fine. I have recently contemplated having an unlined work coat made with leather lined pockets. Kind of like an unlined Carhartt work coat. I've often been annoyed by the fact that my best leather jackets have needed relining and here in Melbourne, I can't really trust anyone to do the job.

A sad indictment of Australian industry, or should I say lack thereof.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
A sad indictment of Australian industry, or should I say lack thereof.

And largely because customers stopped buying heirloom pieces in favour of cheap, off shore made clothing and the good leather makers and repairers closed down. Too few customers. Five in Melbourne I know closed since 1980. We don't make much any more.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
When I first arrived in Perth WA in 1995 there were 3 bespoke leather jacket (and more leather items) makers.

Bought my wife a steerhide jacket , "looked like" a Belstaff or Barbour, company called Serrano clothing in Leederville.

Went past a few years later , now a coffee shop ( in a bloody SEA of other coffee shops !)

Only Sinikka left now https://www.sinikka.com/

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Never could understand the reasoning behind an unfinished unlined leather jacket that grabs and makes it much more difficult to slip on and off ( and for that price..wow)..!!
Early 20's and 30's leather jackets were often unlined so it is an old tradition but I know that doesn't necessarily sell the idea. I've actually owned an unlined jacket and found it worked fine. I have recently contemplated having an unlined work coat made with leather lined pockets. Kind of like an unlined Carhartt work coat. I've often been annoyed by the fact that my best leather jackets have needed relining and here in Melbourne, I can't really trust anyone to do the job.

I'd put it down to nothing more than the appeal, for a lot of folks, of not only the notion of it being "authentic workwear" design, but also that, aside from any notion of 'vintage correct' spec, being so utilitarian has a certain appeal. Beyond that, maybe it also appeals to folks who have several jackets already and want something that is just a bit different - same way some of us might justify Aero number seven because it's got a button front instead of a zip, or whatever.

Personally, I've often fancied one a] for just something a bit different, and b] the lack of a lining seems like it would breathe that little bit easier in Summer. I also have a halfway notion that it'd be nice in warmer weather the be able to rub my arm and feel the slight roughness of the underside scratch just a little when heat irritates... OTOH, I have also often wondered whether a roughout version might be nice - would a smooth leather interior obviate the need for any liner if one did worry about it being 'grabby'?

I do agree, though, that it seems counter-intuitive for something so utilitarian to be orders of magnitude more expensive.... I guess in large part it's simply because there are so few of them being made, and mostly in Japan; the 'made in Japan' tag does seem to add significantly to the overall price of most jackets, plus there's the various cultural factors that have a hand in the somewhat unique pricing structure of the Japanese market.... I'd love to see somebody like Wested do a workingman's version that could be seen a genuine workwear...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'd put it down to nothing more than the appeal, for a lot of folks, of not only the notion of it being "authentic workwear" design, but also that, aside from any notion of 'vintage correct' spec, being so utilitarian has a certain appeal. Beyond that, maybe it also appeals to folks who have several jackets already and want something that is just a bit different - same way some of us might justify Aero number seven because it's got a button front instead of a zip, or whatever.

Personally, I've often fancied one a] for just something a bit different, and b] the lack of a lining seems like it would breathe that little bit easier in Summer. I also have a halfway notion that it'd be nice in warmer weather the be able to rub my arm and feel the slight roughness of the underside scratch just a little when heat irritates... OTOH, I have also often wondered whether a roughout version might be nice - would a smooth leather interior obviate the need for any liner if one did worry about it being 'grabby'?

I do agree, though, that it seems counter-intuitive for something so utilitarian to be orders of magnitude more expensive.... I guess in large part it's simply because there are so few of them being made, and mostly in Japan; the 'made in Japan' tag does seem to add significantly to the overall price of most jackets, plus there's the various cultural factors that have a hand in the somewhat unique pricing structure of the Japanese market.... I'd love to see somebody like Wested do a workingman's version that could be seen a genuine workwear...

Totally agree. However I'm not remotely interested in high priced hipster leather. I was commenting entirely on the notion of unlined leathers being a thing and a cool one, at least to me. The unlined goat 1930's Einstein jacket has often appealed to me too.

zebedee

One Too Many
Totally agree. However I'm not remotely interested in high priced hipster leather. I was commenting entirely on the notion of unlined leathers being a thing and a cool one, at least to me. The unlined goat 1930's Einstein jacket has often appealed to me too.

Unlined and buttoned jackets would get rid of the need for zipper fixes and re-lining. I can see the appeal and would be quite happy with the option.

regius

upload_2020-4-15_14-15-27.png
always wondered what jacket this is, the D pocket looked like a police Buco, but I don't see epaulettes and exposed snaps.

I own two unlined jackets and honestly, the only time I'm reminded of it is when someone takes notice - which doesn't happen very often at all, as you can imagine.

Maybe it's the type of hide used for my jackets but the inside, suede part is just as smooth as any cotton lining and doesn't grab onto shirt fabric. I don't see it behave any different than any lined jacket when I'm wearing it.

@Edward , sadly, it doesn't do a whole lot on a hot day. The jacket will feel the same as any other lightly lined jacket which is to say, you'll be cooking in it...

Provided I'm not buying the jacket for the warmth, lining isn't even a factor for me anymore.

Regardless, I absolutely agree that unlined leather jackets should cost less, though.

Kuro

Practically Family
View attachment 227927 always wondered what jacket this is, the D pocket looked like a police Buco, but I don't see epaulettes and exposed snaps.

I am really enjoying his jacket and boots! I believe I have seen that jacket before but I am not able to place a finger on it. Looking at it now, I am enjoying how clean it is!

regius

It’s very thick for sure, but not necessarily heavy. I’m dying to know what the cuff and back look like. In the 40s, I think only motorcycle jacket had the vertical D pocket, but they could have had shirt cuffs instead of zipped cuff. Note the large spring loaded crown zipper. The right hand pocket has no zipper and is sharp angled, suggesting it may be a halfbelt on the back. Hard to say

tropicalbob

I had one once and I absolutely hated it, particularly in warm weather or in a warm club. I think it was a Schott CR that a friend had owned before me: all I remember was my skin sweating into the damp, rough side of the leather. Plus, as HD mentioned, it was a bitch at times getting on or off. I hadn't seen one in a while until that upscale, so-called hardware store was selling them to yuppies for a lot of cash some years back.

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 227927 always wondered what jacket this is, the D pocket looked like a police Buco, but I don't see epaulettes and exposed snaps.

Where is the photo from? I have a notion I've seen it before among a series of shots of ethnically-Japanese US citizens being interned during the war? If so, it's possible hewas police or similar. I love the overall outfit, got that real "1930s gentleman motorcyclist" look to it.

Interesting thought!

I had one once and I absolutely hated it, particularly in warm weather or in a warm club. I think it was a Schott CR that a friend had owned before me: all I remember was my skin sweating into the damp, rough side of the leather. Plus, as HD mentioned, it was a bitch at times getting on or off. I hadn't seen one in a while until that upscale, so-called hardware store was selling them to yuppies for a lot of cash some years back.

Maybe there's a lot to be said for a light cotton lining. I find satin sleeve linings especially get real sweaty, real quick..

Cornelius

Practically Family
Where is the photo from? I have a notion I've seen it before among a series of shots of ethnically-Japanese US citizens being interned during the war? If so, it's possible hewas police or similar. I love the overall outfit, got that real "1930s gentleman motorcyclist" look to it.

Yes, I thought the same. Almost certain someone within the past 3 or 4 years has posted a similar photo of a father & child (or children) in leather jackets, though in the context of US internment camps for citizens with Japanese family names.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Unlined jackets often require more work than their lined brethren because there's nowhere for untidy seams to hide. So whilst you might save on materials for a lining, this is offset by the labour needed to make it look pretty.

There were a number of unlined leather jackets in the sixties and seventies, particularly from the more hippie brands like Oshwahkon and East West.

One subgenre is reversible, unlined jackets. They're not always that successful, as stitching shows on both sides, and can look a bit odd around the pockets, particularly when there's a flap on one side.

The best example I've seen is this one by Huc for Austin Reed.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/550445144/rare-huc-of-sweden-for-austin-reed-70s

Huc Grain Side.jpg

Huc Suede Side.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner