Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

When I sit and ponder the very short list of things that are manufactured in this country today that will still be around and functional 100 years from now, I always make sure to include the wonderful steamers made by Jiffy. I recently acquired one of their units made in the 1940s and am astounded that it still works so well and by the amount of steam it produces. I feel quite certain that my newer production model steamers, including the 75th Anniversary model I purchased in 2015, will still be around 80-100 years from now and still doing the work they are intended to do, however, this old black beauty is my new favorite.
View attachment 371395 View attachment 371396 View attachment 371397

That’s quite the array, Rick and that old black Jiffy stands out. I was hoping to find one in black when I started looking for one but when this green one popped up at a great price the search was over. They are hefty. Mine is cast aluminum and produces all the steam I need. I would still like to find an original Bell glass bottle.
65115E0F-CD52-4CF5-AEE9-E1F5D1262B4C.jpeg

humanshoes

One Too Many
That’s quite the array, Rick and that old black Jiffy stands out. I was hoping to find one in black when I started looking for one but when this green one popped up at a great price the search was over. They are hefty. Mine is cast aluminum and produces all the steam I need. I would still like to find an original Bell glass bottle.
View attachment 371478
Hell, mine could be aluminum, too Greg. Aside from a light cleaning, I haven't inspected it too closely. It is much heavier than my modern version though. I'll have to slap a magnet on it tonight and find out. Based on the serial number, I believe it to be early 40's, prior to the addition of the ON lamps.
This listing on the bay appears to be roughly the same vintage as yours with what I believe to be the original bottle. I'm guessing that because of the intact warning label. My bottle is not original. I bought a vintage one and drilled a 1/4" hole in the lid based on the bottle in the steamer listing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255078048233?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

humanshoes

One Too Many
Is it a Cast/Ductile Iron or a Cast Steel casing?
My bad Robert. I was fooled by the weight of this old steamer into thinking it was probably cast iron. When Greg said that his oldie is cast aluminum I did a quick magnet test and determined mine is too. Definitely makes more sense when dealing with water and steam to use a non-ferrous metal.

humanshoes

One Too Many
View attachment 371478
Yep, mine is also cast aluminum Bama.

Yep, mine is also cast aluminum Bama.

Rick, if you ever have the occasion to remove the base plate on yours you’ll see where some of the weight comes from. There’s not a lot to it but everything in there appears overbuilt, just like the housing. I had to get into mine when it stopped working. A small wire had burned; likely a result of me allowing it to run dry during the cleaning process. Easy enough to replace and it’s chugged ever since. I do like your’s paint job.

humanshoes

One Too Many
I've been wanting to try the poly blocking springs for some time, but I'm too cheap and too impatient to order them from overseas suppliers. I found what I needed to make my own at McMaster-Carr. 5/16" (8mm) hollow-core round poly belting at $2.31 per foot and aluminum connectors at about $16 per 25. Easy to make and much less expensive than the ready-made alternatives. After some experimenting, I've found I like them best when used in conjunction with standard blocking cord.

Blocking Springs.JPG
Blocking Spring.JPG

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
I've been wanting to try the poly blocking springs for some time, but I'm too cheap and too impatient to order them from overseas suppliers. I found what I needed to make my own at McMaster-Carr. 5/16" (8mm) hollow-core round poly belting at $2.31 per foot and aluminum connectors at about $16 per 25. Easy to make and much less expensive than the ready-made alternatives. After some experimenting, I've found I like them best when used in conjunction with standard blocking cord.

View attachment 377106 View attachment 377107
That's awesome! I wish you had figured this out about 2 months ago, it would have saved me from ordering them from GMB :). All kidding aside great work on that. I had assumed that they actually had a spring inside them but I was wrong. You can get good springs for flanging though. I used a large spring instead of blocking cord during flanging, it works well for me. Only place I can find the springs is McMaster-Carr as well, they are called garter springs.

humanshoes

One Too Many
That's awesome! I wish you had figured this out about 2 months ago, it would have saved me from ordering them from GMB :). All kidding aside great work on that. I had assumed that they actually had a spring inside them but I was wrong. You can get good springs for flanging though. I used a large spring instead of blocking cord during flanging, it works well for me. Only place I can find the springs is McMaster-Carr as well, they are called garter springs.
Thanks CWV. I'm also thinking I can use this tubing in a smaller diameter to make sewing machine belts. We'll see how that goes.

Add this to the list of things in the shop that are "just for lookin' at". Someone went to a lot of trouble to take a hat block, make a metal brim, and mount them to a stand. Had to have it...just because it is.

View attachment 378708
I was eyeing that one as well. Passed on it cuz I couldn't decide what to do with it and have no more room for 'just lookin at' things. But it does look good!

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
If it's in McMaster-Carr you may want to check MSC (Industrial Supply) as well. In a former life these were must have catalogs for me. The online version can be convenient, but there's still something to be said about searching through a physical catalog. On the whole MSC seemed to have slightly better pricing. It didn't hurt that one of their major distribution warehouses was local.

humanshoes

One Too Many
I was eyeing that one as well. Passed on it cuz I couldn't decide what to do with it and have no more room for 'just lookin at' things. But it does look good!
I'm right there with you Robert. Real estate is dear in my shop. I keep telling myself I need to thin out the inventory of vintage hats and superfluous sewing machines, but I seem to lack the motivation to do so.

Zephyr Union

New in Town
Flea market find this weekend

Attachments

• B555B3CA-74FB-4E3D-8482-A46E29270D35.jpeg
    B555B3CA-74FB-4E3D-8482-A46E29270D35.jpeg
    525.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 5A38DD2F-BB9F-416D-80F2-75FC9D006214.jpeg
    5A38DD2F-BB9F-416D-80F2-75FC9D006214.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69

Forum statistics

Threads