Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of Studio Vans

renor27

One of the Regulars
Many years ago I came acrosss a book Mendiceno Rust about trucks that had ened up on the northern California coast and had been or were being driven by the locals there. One of these great old truck was Tom Mix's studio van.
I have tryed to find the book with no luck oh well thats life.
Am wondering if any of the loungers might have any photos of the stars studio van from the 1930's. My idea is to find a couple of photos and maybe for my next project...... recreate one of the vans
David

renor27

One of the Regulars
thanks

Been watching for Amazon to get the book for years even talked with the publisher and they have said, will not be reprinted :mad: . Just my luck
David

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I know what you mean. Lots of books I'd like to get my hands on that are out of print. Why not send a message to that one reviewer asking if they own a copy and if they are capable of scanning that particular photo and could send it to you?

I'll see if I can find a photo. There are litterally millions of photos of time gone by that have never been published, were lost, or destroyed. It's disappointing. Here's another person you could talk to:

http://dougsvintagetrailers.com

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
This isn't a star's van, in fact it's the mobile unit of a very obscure experimental TV station operated by Paramount Pictures from 1941-'46. But I love it!

W6XYZ.JPG

Du Mont cameras and, I believe, a '46 Chevy panel truck (Sedan Delivery if ya wanna get pedantic). In 1947 the station went on the air "officially" as KTLA.

Flivver

Practically Family
renor27 said:
Many years ago I came acrosss a book Mendiceno Rust about trucks that had ened up on the northern California coast and had been or were being driven by the locals there. One of these great old truck was Tom Mix's studio van.
I have tryed to find the book with no luck oh well thats life.
Am wondering if any of the loungers might have any photos of the stars studio van from the 1930's. My idea is to find a couple of photos and maybe for my next project...... recreate one of the vans
David

Have you tried www.abebooks.com I've had great luck there finding out of print books on many subjects. This is a site that lists books available from booksellers all over the world.

up196

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
W6XYZ.JPG
a '46 Chevy panel truck (Sedan Delivery if ya wanna get pedantic
In this case, panel truck is correct, as it's built on a truck chassis. A sedan delivery would be on an automobile chassis, sort of like a 2-door station wagon with no rear side windows.

renor27

One of the Regulars
That for sure is a panel van

thanks for all the good ideas of where to look for a copy of the book.
From what I have been able to find the vans I am looking for were used on location and mostly in the early to mid 1930's after that trailers were used.
Tom Mix had one, think it was built on Dodge fame, kind of like a converted school bus. Just hope some one on the lounge has some photos.
David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart