Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pictures of your goat (and is it right to use FQHH for an A2?)

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Loungers, I am contemplating ordering an Aero 38-1711-P Type A-2 in seal goat (with rust knits) but I'm trying to get a sense of what the hide would look like. Anyone who has some pics handy of any Aero jackets in that hide, please consider posting here: apart from me, it would be useful to have a thread on the hide as a resource to others.

My other thought was to order the jacket in good old brown FQHH, inspired by the beauties posted here by others, but what do you A2 afficionados think of using FQHH for the jacket? Any historical precedents?

SJ

Last edited:
Loungers, I am contemplating ordering an Aero 38-1711-P Type A-2 in seal goat (with rust knits) but I'm trying to get a sense of what the hide would look like. Anyone who has some pics handy of jackets in that hide, please consider posting here: apart from me, it would be useful to have a thread on the hide as a resource to others.My other thought was to order the jacket in good old brown FQHH, inspired by the beauties posted here by others, but what do you A2 afficionados think of using FQHH for the jacket? Any historical precedents?SJ
I thought that was made in Russet with brown knits? Not sure that contract had that combo...even though I suppose you could ask, it would be incorrect as far as I know, so not likely you'll see pics of one. But I could be wrong - it's not the first time lol

NP - I think Cole has a FQHH A-2 from Aero. It looks nice, but it's (again, AFAIK) not legit, historically. I have an Aero 42-15142 in seal/rust.

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Here is a picture of my goat. I think he'd make a nice A-2.

goat.jpg
[/IMG]

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think that seal goat is dark brown and should be several pictures if you view Aero's website. My personal opinion is that FQHH would be too thick and stiff for the A-2 that you have in mind, particularly with the light weight cotton lining, and would recommend going with either goatskin or medium weight horsehide. There appears to be some variation in stiffness or pliability of various skins. The russet brown goatskin on my Aero Bronco A-2 is much stiffer and less pliable than the brown goatskin on the Aero Highwayman that I gave to my son. Aero goat seems to be thicker than the goatskin used on my Cooper A-2 and G-1 jackets. I am unaware of any historical precedent with A-2's during WWII, and I think that the various suppliers often used whatever was available. However, I think there is little question that the goatskin used durin WWII seemed to hold up better than anything else, generally good goat surrounded with lining and knits in tatters. Anyhow, that's my two cents.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Here is my Aero Bronco A-2 in russet goatskin that should wear like iron and outlive me by at least a century!

cfe20a0d.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
SJ, here is another picture of my Aero Bronco A-2 in russet goatskin that I just snapped outside to show different lighting.

cc219648.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
Grayland, my GSD would like to herd (or eat) your goat.

12-11-10-004.jpg

Nice Alsatian (that's the English in me).

I think the FQHH would be too heavy for the A-2, although some true FQHH afficianados have them made of it. The A-2s mostly were made of a fairly light weight HH, and I believe goat was also used in some of the contracts. Mine is a period correct light weight horse, and is quite comfortable to wear. Break in was only a day or so.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Does it really matter if historically A2s used a hide that's lighter than Aero's FQHH?

If you're buying a jacket to wear, rather than as a re-enactor or collector, then accuracy isn't as important, so get what you like. But I don't think that the Vintage Leather Jacket forumites would appreciate a cherry A2. :D

Edward

Bartender
CopyofIMAG0059.jpg

Tiny bit blurry, but if you squint you can see the pebbly grain on my Aero goat A2 (I'll try and get a better shot at some point). Also have an Aero AN6552. Both in Seal shade. The goat will stay "new" looking much longer than a horse A2. IMO, based on what I have handled, it's also tougher than the mid-weight horse. A lot of folks prefer the latter as it was the original spec, though fwiw I gather that wartime goat A2s have survived in better condition and higher numbers than horse... FQHH, while not historically accurate, can be used for an A2. Aero have made quite a few - at least, I've seen a fair few here and there. Depends what you want, really. Could be a good option for an "only" leather, though if you wanted to wear it more often in slightly warmer weather, I'd stick with the goat.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Does it really matter if historically A2s used a hide that's lighter than Aero's FQHH?

If you're buying a jacket to wear, rather than as a re-enactor or collector, then accuracy isn't as important, so get what you like. But I don't think that the Vintage Leather Jacket forumites would appreciate a cherry A2. :D

Cheers, chaps. I take your point, Graemsay, but I'm increasingly realising there's a reason why a particular jacket is made in a particular range of hides and why you should be wary of modifying the specs too much in case you end up with a jacket that just doesn't work.

SJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR