Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pimp hat?

new2hats

A-List Customer
I would love to get a cool 'cognac' color (biltmore presidential), or a 'mustard' color (selentino galaxy) hat, but my wife says they look like pimp hats and ask that I not get any of them. Any thoughts out there? Does anyone wear these color hats out?

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
The last stereotypical pimp that I saw on the streets, was out in Ybor City FL in 2004. He was in a purple, three piece, high-cut pimp suit with matching purple Homburg and jewel-tipped pimp cane.

Every other pimp I've ever seen in the news or the papers for the last 10 years are dressed like dirt-balls.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
What were you planning on wearing them with? In South Carolina I would think a light colored hat would go well with a light colored summer suit.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would love to get a cool 'cognac' color (biltmore presidential), or a 'mustard' color (selentino galaxy) hat, but my wife says they look like pimp hats and ask that I not get any of them. Any thoughts out there? Does anyone wear these color hats out?
Hi

If you wife is actually old enough to remember Huggy Bear from Starsky and Hutch, its probably o.k. for you to wear a purple homburg and carry the cane. People will just think you an eccentric really old guy. I can say that, I'm 51. Cognac is probably pretty sedate now.

Later

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
I like the colors myself. Very eye-catching colors not normally seen on dress hats. Cognac is an attractive brownish orange, and the mustard yellow will always remind me of Dick Tracy. However, if memory serves, the selentino galaxy is also a velour hat. I can kind of see where your wife is coming from there. An ostentatious color on an ostentatious hat. Pimps used to dress in loud flashy clothes to show off back in the day. But not so much today. I say get whatever you want, just be aware you WILL be the center of attention wearing a Mustard Yellow Selentino Galaxy. :cool:

TomS

One Too Many
It will take a bit for your wife to get used to a fedora if she doesn't like them. Having said that, buy one and wear it when she isn't with you. Thats what I did, and in time my wife liked the look. Now she actually prefers me in a hat...lol!
Best,
Tom

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It will take a bit for your wife to get used to a fedora if she doesn't like them. Having said that, buy one and wear it when she isn't with you. Thats what I did, and in time my wife liked the look. Now she actually prefers me in a hat...lol!
Best,
Tom

I think this goes hand-in-hand. As you become more comfortable with the look yourself, it starts to grow on other people too. You start to "fit" into your hat, and then it becomes another part of your routine wardrobe.

I say go for it. Those sound like interesting colors. Hell, you only live once.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
I agree w/ the group. I ride a motorcycle w/ a helmet in a state that doesn't require it.
Why? because for the most part it just makes sense.
That said, many others don't wear a helmet or a hat.
Imho people don't wear hats or helmets etc. because they perceive they will not look cool. So what is cool?
If this was the latest fad, the U.S.A teens would be wearing fedoras and helmets to the shopping malls instead of Uggs, sweat pants, and pajama bottoms.
So whats cool or fashionable and what looks great or is appropriate do not necessarily agree.

Last edited:
Wasn't the pimp wearing a fedora a stereotype of the '70s? Sport (Harvy Keitel's character) wore a black one in Taxi Driver (1976).

Can't say as I remember the particulars of "Taxi Driver," although I did see it way back when, and I recall that I liked it well enough. So I can't comment with any confidence on any character's attire. But you are absolutely right that a fedora was a stereotypical "pimp" accoutrement in the 1970s, right along with the long fur coat and customized Cadillac Eldorado. And not just any fedora, but a big one with an oversized floppy brim, preferably in a long-haired finish and a loud color.

But that was the stereotype, and movies like "Taxi Driver" are fiction. I was into my adulthood in that time, and was indeed a taxicab driver in a large coastal city, working the night shift, mostly, so I encountered many a real-life pimp (and more hookers than your average civilian ever knew existed), and I rarely saw anyone other than a complete and utter poser who much resembled the stereotype. I'm not saying that such characters didn't exist, but the Hollywood take on such things doesn't often jibe with the reality.

But again, you are dead on right about the stereotype. If I were making a movie with a 1970s era pimp character, I'd put him in a hat, for sure.

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Hi

If you wife is actually old enough to remember Huggy Bear from Starsky and Hutch, its probably o.k. for you to wear a purple homburg and carry the cane. People will just think you an eccentric really old guy. I can say that, I'm 51. Cognac is probably pretty sedate now.

Later

Haha! Of course there's always Snoop Dogg's portrayal of the 2004 film, which is just as loud, and clearly an homage to Antonio Fargas, even if there is some variation/modernization.

Wanna really know the pimp hat stereotype? Do an Ebay search!

TipTop

Practically Family
GUILTY as charged!

Pass the Gray Poupon 8X from Jackson Hole Hat Co:

15529292-md.jpg

Cognac as served by Churchill for Neiman Marcus:

15365796-lg.jpg

And J. B. Hill Boots provides another "Pluma":

15451292-sm.jpg

The Stetson Furry Pimp Next Door:

15257012-sm.jpg

Next Door after a grooming and stuffing in a Psycho Bunny Italian Challis scarf:

15257014-lg.jpg

Furry Borsalino Pimpin from Maxis, Chicago (OK, this one went back because of size miss-marking):

15514913-md.jpg

I just can't help myself, but at least I pimp only quality...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy