Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pink Confessions - Poll

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have one pink dress shirt that looks especially good with my slighly big early 1940s gray tweed DB suit and a burgundy late 1930s (I think) tie with a white seaweed motif. No "homo" or "sissy" comments have been heard (by me, at least).

I also wear it with very dark blue trousers from about 1950, with burgundy suspenders, sometimes with a 1930s gray tweed flat cap and short 1930s tie with beige light green diagonal stripes.

My coloration is quite pale skin with very dark hair. It seems to work fine.

As far as balance goes, I'd tend to wear a pastel color, especially pink, with a rougher fabric like tweed.

Edward

Bartender
I have a beautiful pink shirt that I picked up on eBay for under GBP30 a coupel of months ago. Made by one of the Saville Row companies (their off the rack line). I wouldn't pay the GBP135 odds that the price label on it gave (bought second hand, but still boxed and unopened), but for what I did pay, an outstanding bargain, and a far cut above any other shirt I've ever owned. Also - holy grail of shirting - both French cuffs and a reasonably long pointed collar, a difficult pairing to acquire these last few years: virtually every off the rack shirt with French cuffs I have seen on sale in the UK this last ten years has had that very wide-splayed spread collar.

Hemingway Jones said:
I have a pale pink dress shirt that I pair with a silver tie on silver pinstripes. It is an elegant look.

back in the thirties, men wore a whole host of pastel tones from pink to corals, to oranges, to lime greens. Don't forget Gatsby's pink suit. ;)

"He's an Oxford man."

"Like hell he is - he wears a pink suit!"

The finest novel in the English language, bar none. Currently rereading it for the ninth time, after a break of a few years. It was one of my A level books, read it eight times during 1992-93, and even the regimented, stale, clinical dissection required by such academic endeavour has never dimmed its appeal.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Doran, Edward, Hemingway and other gents bold enough to wear a pink dress shirt- let's see some pics please!

SP has already came through posting pics of wearing his (and it looked fabulous on you Sir.;))

Edward- I must see this wonderful shirt-and on you ...:)

Btw, gents do you really care what other men say about your wearing a pink shirt?? Why the heck would you? And if they are derogatory and ill informed, do you care for their opinion anyway?

Dr Doran

chanteuseCarey said:
Btw, gents do you really care what other men say about your wearing a pink shirt?? Why the heck would you? And if they are derogatory and ill informed, do you care for their opinion anyway?

A whole different issue but: there are always situations in which you do want to convey a certain look, and don't want to convey another certain look. There are street corners I walk by where groups of thuggish young men hang out, and certain annoying things could conceivably be said by them (but have not been yet); one would not want to risk getting annoyed by such things, having the annoyance show on one's face, having the young thugs say something else that elevates the situation, then feeling that "why, it certainly would feel lovely to smash that little thug's face inwards" feeling, then giving IN to that feeling, then risking a prison sentence. Or, perhaps, the other thugs not running away but instead attacking you, and actually hurting you -- unlikely, but possible. And if one is with a young lady, or one's daughter, then this complicates issues further.

These are real issues, I'm afraid.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Phineaus' pink shirt plays a large role in the 1959 novel A Separate Peace, which was set in the early 40s. That is enough of a role model for me. Seriously, though, I like pink and think it generally looks good on most men.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Don't you...

Doran said:
I have one pink dress shirt that looks especially good with my slighly big early 1940s gray tweed DB suit and a burgundy late 1930s (I think) tie with a white seaweed motif. No "homo" or "sissy" comments have been heard (by me, at least).

I also wear it with very dark blue trousers from about 1950, with burgundy suspenders, sometimes with a 1930s gray tweed flat cap and short 1930s tie with beige light green diagonal stripes.

My coloration is quite pale skin with very dark hair. It seems to work fine.

As far as balance goes, I'd tend to wear a pastel color, especially pink, with a rougher fabric like tweed.

...work at Berkeley? You could probably wear a pink Speedo and not get a comment.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
While I don't personally wear pale carnation type pink shirts or socks, or pink ties or pastel toned anything (pastels do NOT work with my complexion, I wear earthy rich tones and jewel tones), I have and frequently wear fuchsia/hot-pink coloured cashmere knee-high socks under my gray and brown suits and have numerous ties which are in champagne tones with powder pink and fuchsia details as well as a few ties in navy with the same.

I also wear Spring-green socks with large fuchsia paisley patterns covering them, a pair with fuchsia whales with blue waterspouts on the same green back-ground and a final pair in the same green with fuchsia lobsters with blue eyes. I love them all and wear them frequently during Spring and Winter (though not Autumn or Summer).

Aside from the basic fuchsia bits, I also wear a salmon coloured shirt with white cuffs and spread-collar and regret not buying a safari shirt in pale salmon which I came across one time.

I would never wear a pink or salmon coloured suit or main ensemble component however. That is certainly too affected and loud. I reserve the outre colours for accessories.

Interesting thread here!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
pink is a difficult color.....

my mother used to wear pink nightgowns, i associate pink with that....

many people look great in pink of course, only that for me it has that association.

Edward

Bartender
chanteuseCarey said:
Edward- I must see this wonderful shirt-and on you ...:)

Ehhh...... not sure I have any... oh, hang on, I know where there might be one or two online....

DMF149.jpg

The flash photo has washed out the colour a bit, it's really a very pastel, baby pink, and the fabric itself has a herringbone pattern weave.

I take great delight in not being considered a "real man" by the laughable standards of contemporary alpha-males.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
chanteuseCarey said:
SP has already came through posting pics of wearing his (and it looked fabulous on you Sir.;))
Who, me? I do have a few pink items that I wear quite frequently. I think it's a great color.
DSC04736-CROP.jpg

DSC04741-CROP.jpg

DSC03494-CROP.jpg

Bugsy

One Too Many
Braxton36 said:
I think of pink as a very traditional/vintage male thing. Despite some disparaging remarks in other threads... how many guys here own some sort of attire in pink?

I'll confess to: a pink belt, a solid pink oxford cloth dress shirt and couple of casual ones in stripes, a pink polo/golf shirt and several ties with various pink elements.

Anyone else confessing this Easter week?

I have a few pink shirts in various hues. They were all the rage in London about two years ago for Ascot. I was told that the very traditional Oxford, pink button down that one can still buy at Brooks Brothers was introduced in 1902. Wear your shirts with pride. And October is breast cancer awareness month. Let's show our support.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Pink is Not in my wardrobe. But it did get me humming (darn it) that rather vintage tune about "A white sport coat and a pink carnation".......... :eek:

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Well, I guess...

HadleyH said:
pink is a difficult color.....

my mother used to wear pink nightgowns, i associate pink with that....

many people look great in pink of course, only that for me it has that association.
You're just going to have to put mum's pink nightie on and create a thumbs up or thumbs down poll, Miss H. (Alternately, you could do your dad's PJ top! ;) ) We'd be okay with that, too.

dnjan

One Too Many
I had a pink shirt back in the late 60's, along with a blue and pink tie that worked well with it. However, I have not felt any inclination to revive pink in my wardrobe since then.

Dr Doran

Zemke Fan said:
You're just going to have to put mum's pink nightie on and create a thumbs up or thumbs down poll, Miss H. (Alternately, you could do your dad's PJ top! ;) ) We'd be okay with that, too.

Considering her astonishingly attractive current avatar, I must

SECOND THIS MOTION.

Rathko

New in Town
Of course pink is vintage...

In 'The Great Gatsby', the title character spends half the book running around in a pink suit - 'I must have felt pretty weird by that time because I could think of nothing except the luminosity of his pink suit under the moon' - and again - 'His gorgeous pink rag of a suit made a bright spot of color against the white steps and I thought of the night when I first came to his ancestral home three months before.'

At some point, Tom Buchanan says of Gatsby, "An Oxford man! Like hell he is! He wears a pink suit." But then Tom is staid old money and not one of the young hip Gatsby crowd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot