Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PINK for the feeling, MARTINI for the flavor.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Tonight I had the great privilege of seeing the world reown band, Pink Martini, in downtown West Los Angeles, at a historic theatre know as the Wiltern, an arto deco constructed theater designed by architect Stiles O. Clements of Morgan, Walls & Clements, the city's oldest architectural firm. The concert was absolutely wonderful! I cannot say anything more than that. A group out of Portland, Oregon, whom travel the world with their music is just one of those groups that is like no other. They started off the evening (8:20) with probably their most popular song, (it would be if I had to choose :p). Then on to a none English number in French, Spanish, Italian, Arabic, and Chinese. Amazing....Their sound is a bit of a mambo, but I can't say it is mambo. It's an outstanding sound nonetheless.

Pink Martini is a 12 piece orchestra, along with the lead siner, China Forbes, which has a breathtaking voice that will send you to the clouds. Also featured in the 2005 film, "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", they have made their way around and plenty more. With the romantics of the violins, the soothing jingles of the harp, the strumming of the guitar, the rumbling of the drums and percussion, and the echoing vocals, this group is nothing less than perfect. I had a good view of the stage, center sight, and some very nice folks sitting about me. The crowd cheered, laughed, danced, clapped, sang, stood and sat as the bubbling music of Pink Martini rang in their ears. I also am proud to say I recuited two more members to the Lounge (go team!). Earlier in the night, before the entire audience (over 1,000) began showing up, I had the pleasure of speaking with the lead male singer's mother. I did get her name, but am short of it at the moment. I also talked with some of their friends, one which works as a engineer at Boeing (Ms. Neecerie, you are not alone :p)

It was a very very, very fun night, and the only one's I could thank for the pleasure is Ticketmaster, the Metro Rail, and of course, the wonders of music.

Oh yes, here's their website, PINKMARTINI.COM
and here's one of their SONGS ENJOY!

also, here is one on the Wiltern Theatre.

Martini Slayer

New in Town
Heard of them! And with a moniker like "Martini Slayer".. I have even been given a CD or two of thiers... I liked what I heard, but I've never seen them live...

Might have to remedy that when/if they ever come into NYC

Ben

One of the Regulars
Chicago Show

Pink Martini did a great show in Chicago last fall.

Apparently their third album will be out sometime in the new year. In the meantime, people can also get a video or two of their live performances on Youtube.

Their music is modern, international, and classic. But you can definitely dance to it. Foxtrots, Rumbas, Tangos, and Swings are all in there.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I just saw them the second time tonight as the Hollywood Bowl. I have never been to the Hollywood Bowl, and with the LA Philharmonic, the MarchFourth Marching Band, Henri Salvador, Carol Channing, and over 15,000 people, it was one memorable first evening at the Bowl.

A fireworks display ended the evening, and afterwards Pink Martini sat to sign signatures. I, however, did not take part in that. After an evening like that, I think I could live without getting autographs, but there's always another time.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
happyfilmluvguy said:
..in downtown West Los Angeles, at a historic theatre know as the Wiltern, an arto deco constructed theater designed by architect Stiles O. Clements of Morgan, Walls & Clements, the city's oldest architectural firm.

Unless someone has redefined the geography of Los Angeles, The Wiltern is not in "downtown West Los Angeles". I grew up about two blocks away from The Wiltern, it is located on Wilshire Blvd and Western Ave. The area was known as the Wilshire District. Just FYI, not meaning to troubleshoot your excellent post.

The same architectural firm designed the Bullocks Wilshire department store building that is just to the east on Wilshire Blvd. The area was quite a place in its day, with the Ambassador Hotel and the Brown Derby very nearby, just to to the east.

Today the area is known as Korea Town.

Cheers,

M8

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
happyfilmluvguy said:
I suppose because it is West of Downtown LA, it seemed it would be considered West LA. Wilshire District it is!

There is a West L.A. proper. It's further out west in the vicinity of Century City. It escapes exactly where the boundary begins.

Back to The Wiltern, I am glad they have preserved the old building. I had a lot of fun there as a kid sneaking into the theater with my buddies. I used to sell the Herald Examiner on that corner also. The low-rise part of that building used to be drug store (Thrifty) that had a soda fountain and grill. I also bought my first transistor radio in that drug store. Fresh from Japan!

M8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass