Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pipe Smoking

CdnDandy

Familiar Face
Copper said:
There are private clubs able to provide a ppe and cigar smoking environment in the Calgary area... their strict adherence to the bylaws may be a bit suspect, but they seem to be carrying on at the moment.

Though it is on a hiatus at the moment (changing locations), there is a monthly pipe club in Calgary that has a reasonable following, where you can get together in a comfortable environment with a pipe, a dram of single malt, and some eccentric company.

Really? Any idea where I could find out more information about said clubs?

scotrace said:
And it is QUITE strong!

STRONG!? You must be kidding. :p Its a medium at best. A virginia flake tobacco is no match for actual strong like straight Perique.
Don't keep it around too long as it begins to start with a soapy taste after a few months of sitting around.
Some have complained to me about the "tongue bite" that it might have but I have never experienced this. Its a decent virginia flake like most of McClelland's other Virginias but it aint' strong. Try it for yourself and see.
Then again, I smoke Argosy Black so my opinion might be discounted by some. :rolleyes: :p

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The Christmas blend is strong as in flavor. It's a little damp so I'll let it alone for awhile. It's a broken flake, and burned all the way through without a relight. I found it a little overpowering. I really haven't tried many (though all those from McClelland's that I have tried I've liked). The one I go back to most is Frog Morton. I like Latakia. Perique, not so much.

Bebop

Practically Family
eightbore said:
Friends don't let friends smoke aromatics....if I want a dessert, I'll buy some bloody ice cream!

Most aromatics are not for me but one I do like, although I am not quite sure it can be called a typical aromatic, is Rattray's Terry Red. It claims to be a cherry blend but in the typical Rattray tradition, it is smooth, mellow and has only a hint of any cherry with a touch of ginger. It makes non smokers in the room happy and you don't have to put up with the over the top sweet, acrid, hot and typical aromatic.

I have enjoyed a bowl or two of McClelland's Dark Star but only one or two bowls, once in a while is all I can take. It starts to become way too sweet to have as a regular. McClelland does aromatics well.

Nothing comes close to my beloved Pelican by Butera. Just the right amount of latakia. Cool, dry, total enjoyment. I'm starting to sound like a commercial for the stuff. :rolleyes:

Copper

One of the Regulars
CdnDandy said:
Really? Any idea where I could find out more information about said clubs?

My 'club' if you can call it that - its really quite informal, is at Cavendish and Moores. They are unfortunately in transition right now because of a forced move from the now demolished Penny Lane Mall into temporary lodgings on 11th Avenue, but usually every second Wednesday of the month pipe club runs from 6ish to 9ish. $5 gets you inside, access to a bottle of either decent single malt or a vintage rum, and an open go at usually between two and five tobacco selections. The company is quite varied but always interesting. I have seen nights get as crowded as 40+ people, but since Penny Lane went under the wrecking ball, it has been closer to 15 or so. There is even a well-regarded local pipemaker usually in attendance who will take requests for bespoke pipes. He made me a rusticated teardrop churchwarden with a mule deer antler ring in the shank that smokes very well and is gorgeous.

The Ranchmen's Club, to my knowledge, still has an operating cigar room, but I am not quite in such company to be a member there.

CdnDandy

Familiar Face
Copper said:
My 'club' if you can call it that - its really quite informal, is at Cavendish and Moores. They are unfortunately in transition right now because of a forced move from the now demolished Penny Lane Mall into temporary lodgings on 11th Avenue, but usually every second Wednesday of the month pipe club runs from 6ish to 9ish. $5 gets you inside, access to a bottle of either decent single malt or a vintage rum, and an open go at usually between two and five tobacco selections. The company is quite varied but always interesting. I have seen nights get as crowded as 40+ people, but since Penny Lane went under the wrecking ball, it has been closer to 15 or so...

I haven't been to C&M's new location yet, but I might have to make a date to visit on January 9th. Thanks for the info!

Copper

One of the Regulars
CdnDandy said:
I haven't been to C&M's new location yet, but I might have to make a date to visit on January 9th. Thanks for the info!

My pleasure - Always nice to see new faces at Pipe Club.

There is at least one other place in Calgary where you can buy a decent cigar and smoke it in a nice leather club chair, but where it is and its name escapes me at the moment (I am exclusively a pipe smoker, except when actually in Cuba). I will check with a friend of mine though and get that info for you.

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
My 2 cents

I was at the Mooneyes X-mas party last weekend. For those who dont know, this is a hot rod and custom car show and drag. It's the scene that all the hipster hit! I saw more than one guy UNDER THE AGE OF 30 with pipes. Keep your eyes peeled. It think it'll be the next trend.

But then again, I'm the guy that said the TV show "Friends" would never fly.

scotrace said:
The Christmas blend is strong as in flavor. It's a little damp so I'll let it alone for awhile. It's a broken flake, and burned all the way through without a relight. I found it a little overpowering. I really haven't tried many (though all those from McClelland's that I have tried I've liked). The one I go back to most is Frog Morton. I like Latakia. Perique, not so much.

I am sending you a nice big suitcase of Perique as we speak. :p ;)
I stand corrected. It is a broken flake Virginia. :D
Although overpowering it ain't. You sure you want that tattoo? ;) :p

Regards,

J

I

Ian Dundrillon

I really enjoyed seeing the pipe photos and hearing about favourite blends, pipe anecdotes, etc. However, I wish we could dispense with the "necessity" of giving a topic the p.c. treatment; ie. the annoying and usually pointless re-hash of heath concerns, tobacco politics, discrimination of some kind or another, etc. I have noticed this practice becoming more and more prevalent, especially in threads involving firearms, motorcycles, drinking, smoking and so on. I realise that everyone is entitiled to their opinion (and blah, blah, blah) but is it really necessary, much less desirable to sap all the fun out of a topic? I feel we get enough of that everywhere else; we don't need it here in the F.L.

That having been said, here is some of my "pipe stuff". I enjoy pipes, pipe smoking and the company of pipe people. Please, however, check your hat and your "p.c." at the door. Thank you.
Den013.jpg

Pymander

New in Town
Hi all!

I've been smoking a pipe for a few years now, and have been lurking on FL for a number of months. Mr Dundrillon, I love your pipe-smoking setup. I probably smoke an average of a bowl a day -- during the work week I don't always get a chance to smoke, but I usually make up for that on the weekends. I've got a very small collection of pipes, but it includes a long Dutch-style clay pipe and an inexpensive but ornate meerschaum.

My favorite blends are typically English or Orientals. I love latakia and perique, and lately have really been enjoying Ashton's "Consummate Gentleman" and GL Pease's "Blackpoint". However, my favorite fallback has got to be Rattray's "Accountant's Mixture", which has a medium amount of good English blend flavor and one of the dullest names I've seen. I buy it in the big tins.

It's great to see that some of you FLers are pipe smokers. I knew you guys were all right.

I

Ian Dundrillon

Dear Pymander,

It seems we have similar tastes in pipe tobacco, as I am also fond of latakia. I find the inclusion of perique to be kind of tricky; a little goes a long way.
For the past few years I've been smoking straight Syrian latakia which I buy in bulk. It kind of looks like Irish peat, but smokes great.
If you like, as I do, Rattray's Accountant's Mixture, you might want to try their Highland Targe or Red Rapparee. About the "dull name", remember what Monty Python said, "Chartered accountancy is not dull".

Best regards, Ian

I

Ian Dundrillon

Dear jamespowers,

This is my favourite freehand. The photo is not a good indicator of its size;
it is a big monster, definitely hand held only, unless you have jaws like Godzilla. I got it at the Pipe Dan shop in Copenhagen, but the maker is German--Schlicter. This is the only one of this particular brand I've encountered.

Best regards, Ian

eightbore

Suspended
Ian Dundrillon said:
Dear Pymander,
For the past few years I've been smoking straight Syrian latakia which I buy in bulk.

Given that you use the present tense above, might I ask where you find this? Rare commodity these days. PM me if you wish to keep your source relatively secret.

Thanks,

eightbore

Ian Dundrillon said:
Dear jamespowers,

This is my favourite freehand. The photo is not a good indicator of its size;
it is a big monster, definitely hand held only, unless you have jaws like Godzilla. I got it at the Pipe Dan shop in Copenhagen, but the maker is German--Schlicter. This is the only one of this particular brand I've encountered.

Best regards, Ian

Nice. That is the first time I heard of that name as well. However, I have seen many freehand pipes made in Denmark and Isreal. Unfortunately the Shalom brand closed a few years ago. :(

Regards,

J

Pymander

New in Town
Ian Dundrillon said:
It seems we have similar tastes in pipe tobacco, as I am also fond of latakia. I find the inclusion of perique to be kind of tricky; a little goes a long way.
For the past few years I've been smoking straight Syrian latakia which I buy in bulk. It kind of looks like Irish peat, but smokes great.

Wow, straight latakia? I'm not sure I could handle that. But I do enjoy Samuel Gawith's "Balkan Flake", which I believe is around 30% latakia. And where in the world are you getting Syrian latakia in bulk!?! That's awesome! I'd love to get some, just to make my own blends.

Ian Dundrillon said:
If you like, as I do, Rattray's Accountants Mixture, you might want to try their Highland Targe or Red Rapparee. About the "dull name", remember what Monty Python said, "Chartered accountancy is not dull".

Red Rapparee is also one of my favorites, but I'm taking a break from it at the moment as I smoked through a ton of it.

-- Pymander

I

Ian Dundrillon

Latakia

Here is some of my infamous straight latakia. The colour
in the photo is somewhat deceiving. It is actually a very
dark brown,almost to the point of appearing black; somewhat
similarto the extra maduro or oscuro of cigar wrapper tobacco.
My experience is limited, but my supply has always been
rather moist but easily packable, smooth burning and with
no residual moisture, vis a vis the nasty "gurgle", associated
with some of the aromatics.
I have not found that this moisture level in any way affects the
freshness or shelf life of the product.

Ian

Tobacco001.jpg

Pymander

New in Town
Ian Dundrillon said:
Please excuse the double post. I have no earthly idea what I'm doing.

It's a bit blurry, but good looking stuff. I've tried straight latakia and straight perique before. They were both pretty rough. I've been considering trying some rum-soaked perique as per Aleister Crowley's favorite smoke, but I'm not sure I've got the cajones for it.

-- Pymander

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran