Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Places to visit in San Francisco

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Hopefully this is the right thread for this post, as I wasn't sure where else it fit.

Where are some cool/good/vintage (or non-vintage) places to visit in San Francisco?

Thanks!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
There are lots of places to visit in SF.
Off hand I would say:
  • Coit Tower has fantastic Depression Era murals as well as a great view.
  • The USS Hornet from WW2 is stationed there and I understand they do tours as well as the occasional swing dance.
  • Fort Point is an interesting historical location directly under the Golden Gate Bridge.
  • The Japanese Tea garden is pricey, but very beautiful. See if they have a free day while you are there.
  • For scientific geeky fun, the Exploritorium can't be beat. It's somewhat geared towards kids, but there are plenty of adults in there enjoying. And on a historical note, as I understand it, was originally designed/run by one of the Oppenheimer brothers. It also uses architecture from the world exposition.
  • China and Japan town are interesting. If you want to eat there, ask the locals where's a good spot.

For eats:
  • There is an original Mel's Diner in SF, that I found surprisingly good.
  • The Fog City Diner is fantastic, though not cheap.
  • The Stinking Rose is known for it's amazing garlic cuisine. (I've never personally tried it.)
  • And high tea at The Fairmount Hotel is quite a luxurious splurge!

For shopping, Union Square is one of the main locations. Just off Union Square is Britex Fabrics. If you are a sewer, it's worth the visit. It's four stories of fabrics and notions, including a selection of vintage buttons. Just be warned, they have stuff that goes for hundreds of dollars a yard!!! :eek:

And if you are dying for a show Beach Blanket Babylon is a SF tradition.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Joie DeVive said:
For shopping, Union Square is one of the main locations. Just off Union Square is Britex Fabrics. If you are a sewer, it's worth the visit. It's four stories of fabrics and notions, including a selection of vintage buttons. Just be warned, they have stuff that goes for hundreds of dollars a yard!!! :eek:

And if you are dying for a show Beach Blanket Babylon is a SF tradition.

But if you're in Union Square, skip visiting - or at the very least spending money at - Torso Vintages. Snotty, unethical and overpriced. They used to be in Portland, and no matter their reputation for WHAT they have, HOW they run their business stinks. Not to mention how obscene their prices are. Oh yes, I'd already mentioned overpriced.

But you SHOULD get to Haight Street for La Rosa, Decades and the other various vintage shops.

And do have lunch in one of the un-updated 50's time warp Chinese food places in China town. LOVE the old decor.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
If you're looking for vintage locales (as opposed to vintage shopping), you MUST stop at the Tadish Grill. It's walking distance from Union Square and claims to be the longest running restaurant in the city.

You have to visit and have a drink at the bar, or a meal in one of the room-like booths, at least once. We did, and we're sure to return every time we visit SF, if only for nostalgia's sake. The ambiance is extraordinary: old milk glass pendants that look like they date from the 20s or 30s; a worn, dark wood bar that extends the length (or is it depth?) of the place; and white-jacketed professional waiters who you'd swear have been doing their job since the place opened. Any minute and you expect a guy in a fedora to burst in through the tourists and regulars, and rattle off a speech sounding like Edward G. Robinson ("Shee here, youse guys..."). This is a great place for a Lounger to visit!

Some people love the food; for others, not so much. It's just ok, in my opinion, but go for a drink at the bar and the ambiance. Then a walk up to North Beach...

They're at 240 California Street, in the Financial District. Have fun!
Steve

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think Tadisch might be closed for remodeling - nothing drastic, they are having their wood paneling restored. I know the guy who's doing the work.

He said it would take a couple of months, but I am not sure if it has started yet.

Miss 1929

The Cliff House is also newly redone and very nice, with a swell view of the ocean while dining.

The Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate park has reopened after a major reconstruction - and where else can you see an albino alligator?

The Far East Cafe is my favorite vintage-y Chinese restaurant on Chinatown, and has a full bar - and they know how to make a Manhattan.

RC

New in Town
Might be crazy with tourists this time of year, but I love Louis' Diner near the Sutro Baths. It's been there since 1937 and is very cozy after a walk on the beach. The food is very simple diner stuff, but the staff has always been very gracious - even when they're slammed.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Hello, Miss 1929! It was an absolute pleasure meeting you and your husband this past weekend!

pdxvintagette said:
But you SHOULD get to Haight Street for La Rosa, Decades and the other various vintage shops.

While I was there, I visited Decades and found a great '40s wool overcoat for $100.00. It's flawless. No pics of it yet, but I'll take some this upcoming weekend, after it's back from the cleaners. I wore it the rest of the day and well into the night. :)

Pretty much anywhere in The City is good for vintage, if just seeing it is what you're after. Heck, most of the city itself is vintage! But if you're going for shopping and eating, I'd recommend going with someone who's familiar with the area. I was fortunate enough to go with Fedoragent; he grew up there and can't wait to move back. I'm falling in love with the place, as well! ;)

Have fun,
Lee

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Miss 1929 said:
And for the ultimate tacky Tiki experience, the Tonga Room in the basement of the Fairmont Hotel!
You're right, Miss 1929--a very fun experience if you like the Tiki thing!

Sorry to hear about Tadisch (I was afraid I'd misspelled it!)--I'll be up there this weekend and was looking for a drink at the bar. Hope they haven't started remodeling yet!

Miss 1929

"Jazzincocktails: You're right, Miss 1929--a very fun experience if you like the Tiki thing!

Sorry to hear about Tadisch (I was afraid I'd misspelled it!)--I'll be up there this weekend and was looking for a drink at the bar. Hope they haven't started remodeling yet!"

Not yet!

"MrNewportCustom Hello, Miss 1929! It was an absolute pleasure meeting you and your husband this past weekend!"

Oh, and you too! What fun we had. And what a hangover I had the next day. Damn that JonEugenio.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Is John's Grill still open? I'd heard rumors years ago that it might close, but I never heard what was the result.

It's worth a visit, if it's still there, for its Maltese Falcon connections.

MissWink

New in Town
I love SF and can't wait to go back there. Has a lovely time there a few years ago :)
In the Haight-Ashbury district there is a couple of nice shops.
I remember La Rosa Vintage (1711 Haight Street) and there where also a dew others that I can't remember the name of. I'll get back on those!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I went to San Francisco after the towers came down. I only spent two nights there, but they were two very enjoyable nights.

I recommend visiting Alcatraz, taking a cable-car ride down to the commercial district and then doing some shopping there. Take a few tours around town, photograph some beautiful San Franciscan Victorians, eat some sourdough bread and buy a souvenier cable-car bell; if they still make them, that is. I bought one and it's hanging in our hallway as our favourite souvenir from our trip to the USA.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Thanks to everyone for your recommendations. I called Tadisch, but there was no answer...

skyvue said:
Is John's Grill still open? I'd heard rumors years ago that it might close, but I never heard what was the result.

It's worth a visit, if it's still there, for its Maltese Falcon connections.

It looks to still be open and thriving. Which Maltese Falcon scene featured it? I'm drawing a blank without popping in the DVD.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
It's in the novel (I don't think there's a movie scene there) -- Sam Spade eats at least one meal there. And they used to have some MF memorabilia, mostly photos and such.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Good news: the Tadich Grill is open for business and hasn't yet undergone renovations. We had a great lunch there in the 20s/30s atmosphere.

IMG_1277.jpg

A new discovery that has become my must-visit spot in SF: Bix Restaurant. Tucked into an alleyway off Montgomery Street and nestled between the Financial district and North Beach, Bix is a fantastic update on the classic supper club. Had great drinks and appetizers while admiring the deco feel of the place. Returned with friends much later in the evening for another round of drinks and to listen to the jazz trio. What a cool place--how did I not know about this before? And if only I could afford one of the condos nearby on Montgomery!

Miss 1929

I also adore Bix, Senor 1929 and I had dinner there on the night we got engaged. It is swell!

And we met at La Rosa, when I sold him a tux there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran