Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

plastic blocks

Canadave

One Too Many
Anyone have experience with these or other plastic blocks?

Before you advise that I should just get a wooden one, if you can find a 7 7/8, I'll take as many as you got.

Thanks,

David

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't mind getting a block in my size and playing around with some of these European hats. Do they make a plain 'block' without the dents that I could use to straighten out and maybe stretch a crown with? I know you can probably get rid of some of the taper...

B
T

Richard

Familiar Face
what is "taper"

plastic blocks would probably be lighter. but less pretty. sounds like fun though...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Taper is the tendency toward a conical shape that the crowns of some felt hats have, or develop with use, age, shrinking. A felt hat that is 'straight', like in profile, the front and back are vertically parallel, maybe the sides too depending on how much of the aspect has been dented in. Straight crowned hats are probably more typical of vintage American hats, up to later 40's/'50s- then they seem to get a little lower and less straight, narrower brims too.

B
T

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
BellyTank said:
Please explain the problem Mr. Sharpestoys-
-not useable?
Perhaps they're more for forming wet-felted hats- home craft style?

B
T

You hit the nail on the heas. I could not use it for any hat I had now. The size was wrong also. It was a 7 3/8 without the sweat band. As you know the block is larger than the size till you install the sweat band.

Sharpey

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner