Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please pray for Chile

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
Yes, it is truly, truly awful.

"To combat looting, Chilean president Michelle Bachelet announced that essentials on the shelves of major supermarkets would be given away for free, under the supervision of authorities..." I love that woman! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

It's better than the alternative, that's for sure.

Chile, Haiti, the past month's snow storms and the rest of the natural disasters recently should bring home to all of us, wherever we live, the reality that, regardless of how good our governments may be, realistically we will always be on our own for the first 48-120 hours.

Stock up on basic supplies: food, water, light/heat sources, first aid kit (and training), batteries/radio/power for cell, etc. now and rotate them through your day to day use to keep them fresh.

Don't be the folks rushing to the store for french toast ingredients (really, what else can you make with milk, eggs and bread? :p ) or lining up at the gas station because you drive on "E".

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My family's prayers are for your loved ones Marc and all the people of Chile. So many disasters occurring on such large scales around the world. It's time to support each other and forget boundaries.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Lincsong said:
Big Earthquakes like this seem to be common for Chile.

Yes, but not this big. The last big earthquake (in '85) wasn't as strong, and the unimaginably powerful one happened a while back, in 1960. I experienced small earthquakes all the time when I lived there, but nothing to write home about.

It's hard to imagine two minutes worth of earthquake. That's a long, long time.

Foofoogal

Banned
I saw the news and the gate showing the up and down movement. I was stunned. I cannot even imagine. :eek:

I know this sounds stupid but I honestly do not know how it didn't break every neck in the country.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Foofoogal said:
I saw the news and the gate showing the up and down movement. I was stunned. I cannot even imagine. :eek:

We've been able to make contact with everyone we know there, thank goodness. They all describe it the same way:

"It felt like the earth was slamming up and down and rocking from side to side at the same time."

Yikes...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
One striking difference between Haiti and Chile has been the casualty numbers. Chile had a much more powerful quake, but far fewer deaths. This is because of the very strict building codes put in place after the last two major quakes. In the midst of the devastation, something to think about and be truly grateful for. Government may not be the best solution to all problems, but it's the only solution to certain problems.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
^^^^

Same thing with hurricanes. During a major event I'd much rather be in South Florida than on a Caribbean island.

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
dhermann1 said:
One striking difference between Haiti and Chile has been the casualty numbers. Chile had a much more powerful quake, but far fewer deaths. This is because of the very strict building codes put in place after the last two major quakes. In the midst of the devastation, something to think about and be truly grateful for. Government may not be the best solution to all problems, but it's the only solution to certain problems.

Indeed, the building codes did save many in Chile, though the other constellation is the earthquake resonated from a much deeper point than Haiti's did. I don't want to imagine what could have happened if if the earthquake started from only a few miles below ground.

Good to hear all are accounted for, Marc. ;)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I have been out of touch with news reports lately, but how is Chile now at this point? I imagine that perhaps not a whole lot has changed in what is about a week's time, but I'm interested in hearing about some progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou