Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please vote and help me decide, Aero or BK

Aero Real Deal or BK House A2

• Aero real deal Russet Jerky

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • BK House Russet (hide undecided)

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters

Mark

Practically Family
Hi Guys

I still feel unable to decide which A2 maker to go for. I am pretty much clear about other aspects of the jacket; Russet/Russet Jerky, Real Deal from Aero or BK House. Both jackets look good to me and are similarly priced. Both have some thing to offer the other does not; Aero, Tried & tested, I own a Highwayman from them so I trust and know the service will be faultless. BK seem to have more hide options, I quite fancy steer or cow for a change.

reasons for your preference would be most welcome, even better if you some pics of said jackets.

So please help me to take the plunge and vote your preference.

Many thanks

Sorry if the poll is not attached to thread, not sure how to do that

Last edited:
Again,
I believe it comes down to what you're looking for. They both are extremely good at what they do, but they do different jackets (you need to seriously consider what leather you want first).

Get samples of both! then make the decision!
Once you have them in hand, fold them over to feel how the thickness of the jacket will be- You will know what you want!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
This is really hard for me to answer because I never own one. But if you search the forum, many people says Aero's A2 is more civilized, but BK is more like the original.

Not that detailed original accuracy is all that important to me personally, I would be interested in knowing the specifics of exactly how BK is "more like the original." I am not attempting to start an argument here but would be interested in hearing a cordial discussion from FL members who are knowledgeable regarding this question, which I am not.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Not that detailed original accuracy is all that important to me personally, I would be interested in knowing the specifics of exactly how BK is "more like the original." I am not attempting to start an argument here but would be interested in hearing a cordial discussion from FL members who are knowledgeable regarding this question, which I am not.

Like you, i have no real interest in accuracy, but have spent some time comparing pictures of BK and Goodwear, the patterns they have in common usually look completely different, different pockets, different collars...

Most people will agree that GW are the most accurate reproductions, which tells you something about the accuracy of BK.

I wouldn't buy a BK if i wanted 100% accuracy, i would go GW.

Now between aero and BK, i think both will be good jackets, although less accurate than a GW, all that to say that i can't really help much, they all look good!

zhz

Practically Family
I think you can ask Edward or Andrew, I think they have lots experience in this.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
How to get samples? Do they send sample jacket to you if you pay deposit?

It depends on the company. Generally small sections of leathers and linings are sent. Generally a sample jacket requires a credit card deposit.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think you can ask Edward or Andrew, I think they have lots experience in this.

I hope that either Andrew and/or Edward does see this. I am just curious but don't want to see any company bashed for what is perceived lack of duplication of original contracts. I do know that G&B's "historic" A-2's are said to have been made from original patterns but suspect composite rather than any one specific contract pattern. I don't really know. [huh] I did observe that G&B uses high grade nickel YKK zippers rather than Talon which would seem to be a departure from the originals. I think it is universally agreed that JC's A-2's are the most accurate of all.

Yes, as Fanch said- email and ask for leather samples of the colors you like and they will send you a piece. That way you can see and feel what you will like.

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks guys for your replies and sorry I have not replied sooner (working today). I should have mentioned, I care little if any A2 I buy is an exact copy of a WW11 contract. The fit is more important to me. Looking at the poll it seems Aero have the edge and I am liking the pics I have seen here on the FL of the Aero Russet Jerky Real Deal more so than BK's pics. I am definitely leaning more towards Aero at the moment.
Aside from the comments you have made about who makes the most accurate A2 are there any other points I should bear in mind before deciding who to go with?

Thanks again guys

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Here is a pic of my Aero Bronco A-2 in russet HH. Since I am 6'2" an original pattern would have been too short. The back and sleeves are both 27" and is the jacket that I tend grab on the fly becase of the perfect fit. The pic suggests the jacket might be too tight in the chest, which it is not.

Brettafett

One Too Many
I may be wrong, but I seem to remember it being said that BK's house is based on their RW pattern sans collar stand.
Aero's real deal is their Aero 155142 pattern. I have owned the Aero and it was the best fitting A-2 that I have owned, sorry to have let it go, it was more that I wanted a lighter leather (it was Seal).
That was a pre-Aero shake-up jacket and I since received another (that was supposed to be the culmination of all the lessons I'd learnt buying jackets)... it was a complete shambles... wrong leather, weird non-symetrical collar, etc... returned it.
However, maybe by now they have their act back together, but believe theres quite a waiting list.
Get samples, great idea. Be very specific regs fit and measurements if you can. Honestly, I think either will be great. I uploaded a pic of my 15142, try the search function.

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks Fanch, great jacket and fit. It was the Russet Jerky Bronco on Aero's web site that inspired me to want an A2. And if Aero had not removed it from their line-up I would be going for that one. Am I right in thinking the Bronco is a good choice for a slimmer (not skinny) chap?

Cheers

Brettafett

One Too Many
ps Fanch, that is one great looking jacket. I wish my Bronco looked like that. Yours must have been pre-Aero-shake-up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo