Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pleated backs

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
All-

I just ordered an Aero last week and now I'm already thinking about the next purchase. I think I need help.

I have an Aero Cheyenne I purchased on eBay a few years ago and I'm thinking of selling it and buying and Aero Barnstormer that actually fits. I like a trim fit, but I also like to be able to move my arms. I was looking at some sites and they had pictures of jackets/coats with pleated backs. I don't know enough about tailoring to know if they were just for looks, or if they actually added some 'give'.

http://www.costumes.org/history/20thcent/1930s/tailoringcatalogs/1936taylorco/PICT0078.JPG

I appreciate your comments.

Paul

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Hey Paul,

Earlier this year I got an Aero half belt and had them add the bi-swing back. Mark told me up front that it doesn't add that much mobility, it's more of a "feature". Now that it's getting colder up here I wear it every day, and it's breaking in nicely, and starting to soften up. The action back adds a small amount of extra movement, but Mark was right in saying that it is minimal. As a "feature" it looks great, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Mobility will come from age, and sizing it large enough to have some room to move, Aero will help you with that part.

Brian

dfrancis

New in Town
I just got here. This is the first post I've read. I was in the Navy for 24 years, so you can imagine I am partial to the G-1, 422A, etc., with the bi-swing back.

I like the feature. I think it really adds something to a flight jacket. Jackets w/o the bi-swing look incomplete to me. That's just me, ok, I am strickly speaking in regard to my own personal taste.

I have a G-1 and a 422A. I can't speak for other Navy vets, but I couldn't wear an A-2 for example. Owing nothing to the cut, it just wouldn't be proper for me to be wearing Air Force gear, even in retirement. I work in civil service, for the Corps at Camp Pendleton and there's some guys with A-2s around, but they're AF vets.

Your being a civilian gives you more lattitude in that regard than it would me an my, uh, sensibilities. All of that said, my point is this: even when I was a civilian back in the 50s, 60s, and 70s - I ALWAYS wanted a G-1, I always thought the bi-swing was the coolest look around. Had an Ike jacket, had a older leather bomber - still wanted a G-1; what's not to like?

Growing up in D.C. I saw them all, and all the old ones on vets from WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. G-1 was always at the top of my list. I'm on my third one... no, 4th. Not including the G&B 422A. But that's another story.

I find the bi-swing totally functional. I was able to get by with a 40L when I was a solid 44 suit. Now I wear a 46; hence the 4th jacket. You can't go wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy