Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pleats and cuffs are back babay!

TCMfan25

Practically Family
I personally think the white tie, black tie issue is entirely ridiculous. I don't dress retro to be "Formal," I dress retro because it LOOKS GOOD. In my opinion, looking good is far more important and personal than following a bunch of BS rules made by snobby, stuck-up people designed to make them feel better than other people. Obviously the way you dress should be respectful, but ridiculing other people just because they don't know what tie is "correct" is elitist and not behavior worthy of a fedora lounger.

It is not "elitist", it is the traditional way of addressing formalwear, knowing the correct terminology could only better your understanding of the period's formal dress for different occasions. In any case, this is more than worthy, perhaps even necessary for a Lounger to know, because a Lounger is someone with great knowledge and even greater appreciation of the Golden Era.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
I personally think the white tie, black tie issue is entirely ridiculous. I don't dress retro to be "Formal," I dress retro because it LOOKS GOOD. In my opinion, looking good is far more important and personal than following a bunch of BS rules made by snobby, stuck-up people designed to make them feel better than other people. Obviously the way you dress should be respectful, but ridiculing other people just because they don't know what tie is "correct" is elitist and not behavior worthy of a fedora lounger.

BS rules??? Without these rules, my friend, the suit and formalwear as we know it would be completely different.
Without traditional guidelines to follow, a ghetto fiend's sagging "jorts" and oversized undershirt when paired with a tie, could be considered a suit, or a bird's feces on your head a hat.
These were not created by "snobs" they were created by the man, wealthy or otherwise, an evolving timeline of changes and rules to "the suit" ultimately creating what it had become in the Golden Era.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I actually don't wear pleats as much as I used to, because I believe flat front pants look and fit better on me. Around the waistline, the fabric would "bulge" out somewhat, and flat fronts do that less on me than pleats. Of course, the pleats I'm referring to are the modern reverse style, not the more traditional inverted pleats, unless I'm confusing the two... Would cuffs look odd on flat fronts? The khakis I'm wearing today do not have cuffs, but all of my pleated pants do. I know the option is out there, as I order from Land's End (usually their tailored fit).

Slim Tim

New in Town
In any case, this is more than worthy, perhaps even necessary for a Lounger to know, because a Lounger is someone with great knowledge and even greater appreciation of the Golden Era.
You misunderstood me, I didn't mean that it was unimportant for a Lounger to know, I meant it was unbecoming to criticize "normals" who are not invested in golden era fashions.

BS rules??? Without these rules, my friend, the suit and formalwear as we know it would be completely different.
Without traditional guidelines to follow, a ghetto fiend's sagging "jorts" and oversized undershirt when paired with a tie, could be considered a suit, or a bird's feces on your head a hat.
These were not created by "snobs" they were created by the man, wealthy or otherwise, an evolving timeline of changes and rules to "the suit" ultimately creating what it had become in the Golden Era.
While I do concede that formal definitions of what constitute formality are important, the evolutionary nature of these rules does in fact work against your argument. If we are to concede that what these societal dictates are the be all and end all of what form of dress conveys respect, and that they are also evolving all the time, then I would say that the Black tie/white tie definitions are outdated and that the lounge suit has been chosen by society to be the new formal wear. Modern mainstream perceptions are what determine these rules and so the very essence of this forum flies in the face of them as we accept something other than the modern mainstream view, which is precisely why I called them BS. If one simply accepts what society says is acceptable dress, than you'd wear nothing but t-shirts and jeans for casual and maybe a sports coat for more formal occasions.

I will now try to return to the topic,
I've always liked pleated pants with cuffs. Though, for some reason a pair I brought on a trip with me had a nasty habit of bulging around my hips just like what The Good said. I have several other pairs of pleats but haven't noticed this with them. I guess it could be just one bad pair, I just hope it isn't endemic to other modern pleated pants.

My family is the exact same way. I wore some nice, pleated, slacks a few weeks ago, and got mocked for a good 20 minutes. They do not understand pants that are not blue jeans.

I see nothing wrong with pleated pants, personally. I have pleated and flat front pants in my closet. I think it spices the old wardrobe up a bit to be able to break things up.

A good call, Tomasso. It's frustrating these days when nobody knows the difference.

I remember wearing a tie to a house party once and my mother complained that I shouldn't dress "formal".

I can't tell you how confused I was...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points