1. Lounge Update headed your way. Check the thread in the Observation Bar. If you don't like the light style, click the light bulb at the top-right of your screen.

Pocket Holster

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Jaxenro, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Jaxenro

Jaxenro One of the Regulars

More often than not I carry either a snub nosed 38 special revolver or my favorite Colt 1903 in my front right pocket. I had a friend who does a lot of black powder work make me a pocket holster for the 1903 based on a circa 1920's Chicago original. The pistol fits loosely in the holster as the pocket does the real work of holding it in place this just sort of positions the butt right in your hand at the top of the pocket

I had him make a matching magazine case that slips just fine in the inside pocket of a suit coat or blazer. The colors match exactly for some reason they look slightly different in the photos. This is really slim and with the magazine side pointed in is not noticible even with a light weight linen jacket Mikes 1903 01.jpg Mikes 1903 02.jpg

TPD166, Yahoody, Desert dog and 6 others like this.
  2. Jaxenro

Ready for a day on the town IMG_0252.JPG IMG_0255.JPG IMG_0256.JPG

3. jkingrph

jkingrph Practically Family

I am carrying a Sig P938, a miniature 9mm in 1911 Colt format. I carry it with round chambered cocked and locked in a pocket holster by Red Dog Gunleather , that is a wallet style, and has a thin flap that folds over the gun butt so if it shows the gun is not visible, only the flap of the holster. I realize it would slow me down some, but a pocket holster is rather slow anyway.

4. KY Gentleman

KY Gentleman One Too Many

That’s very nice. I need to find something similar for a Walter ppk clone I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-30- likes this.
  5. Jaxenro

Bersa?

If your interested I could pass along Mike’s contact info. I think he has a web site

-30- likes this.
  6. F. J.

F. J. One of the Regulars

That’s a very nice set-up. Is it the original 1903 in .32 or the 1908 model in .380?

-30- likes this.
  7. Jaxenro

.32 I keep looking at the 380’s but I have a PPK clone in 380 and I want to get one of the new Cimarron 1862 Colt clones in 380 that are coming out so it’s hard to justify

-30- likes this.
  8. OldStrummer

OldStrummer A-List Customer

I too, carry a P938 in my right front pocket.

I went through a drawer full of IWB/OWB and pocket holsters. I finally settled on Sticky Holsters. I can switch between my S&W 360, my P938 and my XD-s .45 without having to "learn" a new holster.

-30- likes this.
  9. KY Gentleman

KY Gentleman One Too Many

Yes that would be great. I have a Bersa Thunder and a Daewoo .380 as well.

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory. – unknown

Jaxenro and -30- like this.
  10. Jaxenro

11. Desert dog

Desert dog One Too Many

Here is a pocket holster that I made to carry my Ruger LCR .357. It is double layer leather with padding sandwiched between. I did this to reduce printing of the cylinder. The lining has no exposed stitches inside. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

12. Just Jim

Just Jim One of the Regulars

Desert Dog, that is a nicely done piece of kit! How well does it stay in your pocket when you draw in a hurry?

My choice for general carry is a 3" Model 13, usually carried naked because pocket holsters seem to "un-pocket" when I'm in a hurry. I've tried a couple rough-out holsters and they seem to work well until they wear smooth: about the same effect your tooling of the leather would have. I'm just pondering if that band you show is enough of a shoulder to keep the leather in the pocket. . . .

-30- and Desert dog like this.
  13. Desert dog

Desert dog One Too Many

Thanks Jim, it stays in the pocket of blue jeans, but nothing loose. I put the strip of rough out and lacing to give it a little better purchase in pocket. I also have single layer rough out holsters that stay in place better. None are fast on the draw, but I give the edge to my holsters that are rough out but smooth inside. Not very pretty though.[​IMG][​IMG]

Cornshucker77 and BobHufford like this.
  14. Just Jim

Just Jim One of the Regulars

The leather band is a more aesthetically-pleasing solution than mine: I've been putting a rubber band around the body of the holster (in roughly the same place). Not really a rubber "band", a couple of turns of inner-tube rubber works very well.

That's a solution I "borrowed" from several of the oldsters amongst my extended family. I'm not sure how common the idea was back in the GE, but it does seem to have had a widely-distributed following among folks back then who were carrying discretely and had the sense to use a holster. Various relatives were using it in the '20s and '30s in Detroit, Chicago, and Nebraska. I've also seen an example on a holster carried by a turn-of-the-century cowboy, ca 1900, in the pocket of his chaps.

The rubber band helps a great deal but it is u-g-l-y! I might worry about it if anyone but me ever saw the holster. I think--I know--if I had something like that little gem of yours I'd be showing it off to my buddies, and that kinda throws "discrete" out the window!

15. Jaxenro

I think most pocket holsters are too small it is a carryover from people thinking they are holsters in the traditional sense. They aren’t.

A good pocket holster should have
    1. A backing almost as big as the pocket so it’s hard to get the holster out of the pocket
    2. A loose pocket for the gun so it slips out easy.

Mine isn’t perfect I am going to use it for a bit then get a revised one with a larger backing. A pocket holster shouldn’t “hold” the gun just position it in the pocket.

16. Boyo

Boyo Practically Family

I've been using a Mitch Rosen "Pocket Softy" for my Seecamp, works very well in most pants pockets

17. Desert dog

Desert dog One Too Many

You make some very good points! Now I may have to try a design incorporating those points. With tooling of course!

18. Jaxenro

I have some pics, not as many as I want, of originals from the 1920’s. I will post the if it will help you

-30- likes this.
  19. RJR

RJR

Holster-Ruger LCP.jpg
    This holds an LCP nicely in front or rear pocket without printing.Note that I am left handed.

Cornshucker77, -30- and Desert dog like this.
  20. Yahoody

Yahoody A-List Customer

Some really nice slim line rigs fellas.

Here is one for a SAA. Drops into a full size jeans pocket if your don't wear them too tight. Had it made up some 30 years ago copied from an original made in the late 1800s to stow in an over coat pocket.

This one easily drops right into a pair of Carharts. Handy at times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]