Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: Bela Lugosi's 40's, Poverty Row Films

Which is your favorite Bela Lugosi "Poverty Row" movie?

• Invisible Ghost

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Black Dragons

• Vodoo Man

• Return of the Ape Man

• Total voters

GoetzManor

Familiar Face
Given the topic, it seemed appropriate to bring a dead thread back to life...

I may get blasted here, but I think Lugosi's Poverty Row films are better than his earlier work. Don't get me wrong, I love Dracula and White Zombie and all that, but later films like The Corpse Vanishes and Devil Bat just have a certain charm to them that always makes me pull one of the those out over anything he did with Universal.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Well, it's been said before that it is the Poverty Row horror films that fans will watch over and over again, unlike the "A" products like Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman, and so on...There is a certain "charm" about them (discontinuity, incredibly unbelievable plots, over-the-top performances, terrible sets and lighting) that "endear" them to us. If you haven't yet, get and read a copy of Tom Weaver's Poverty Row Horrors!

And I'm glad to see that you're another Devil Bat fan!

Last edited:
Well, it's been said before that it is the Poverty Row horror films that fans will watch over and over again, unlike the "A" products like Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman, and so on...There is a certain "charm" about them (discontinuity, incredibly unbelievable plots, over-the-top performances, terrible sets and lighting) that "endear" them to us. If you haven't yet, get and read a copy of Tom Weaver's Poverty Row Horrors!

And I'm glad to see that you're another Devil Bat fan!

Would this be a Poverty Row Horror?:

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
It's a coincidence this thread should reappear. Ghosts on the Loose was screened on free to air tv a few days ago. It wasn't bad, interesting to see a very young Ava Gardner & nice to see Bela not playing a vampire for a change.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
There is no Plan 9 to vote for. :D

That wasn't even poverty row. I think poverty row pictures owned some of their set, but they didn't steal it.
Ed Wood's props were....uh..."borrowed." :)
We've got the Ed Wood box set, yes there is one!
It's a shame too, Lugosi was making a comeback if it weren't for Wood's inability to bring his ideas to film.
Then again who would Roger Corman and Burt I Gordon have to follow in their footsteps? :)

That wasn't even poverty row. I think poverty row pictures owned some of their set, but they didn't steal it.
Ed Wood's props were....uh..."borrowed." :)
We've got the Ed Wood box set, yes there is one!
It's a shame too, Lugosi was making a comeback if it weren't for Wood's inability to bring his ideas to film.
Then again who would Roger Corman and Burt I Gordon have to follow in their footsteps? :)

Below Poverty Row eh? Skid Row films. They beg borrow and steal to make a film. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass