Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: Bela Lugosi's 40's, Poverty Row Films

Which is your favorite Bela Lugosi "Poverty Row" movie?

• Invisible Ghost

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Black Dragons

• Vodoo Man

• Return of the Ape Man

• Total voters

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Okay, here's one for you Lugosi fans (and those who are just plain into old horror films). Between 1940-44, "Bela" made ten "Poverty Row" or "Gower Gulch" horror movies; one for PRC, and nine for Monogram. Although Bela gives it his all in these movies, the films themselves are legendary (notorious?) for their inane scripts, mostly horrible direction, often poor acting, and always threadbare sets. None-the-less, compared to some of the dull horror films that the "big" studios were turning out at the time (RKO excepted), many of these cheapies are actually imaginative, as well as highly campy. For those reasons, and more, many fans love these films, and count some of them among their favorite '40s horror films. So, out of the ten, which one is your favorite?

Last edited:

martinsantos

Practically Family
The only one I saw from this phase, "Ghosts on the Loose". These films had a very bad distribuition, ever with Lugosi in the cast. Probably almost all dever reached Brazil in those days... And still apeared here in any "incarnation" as VHS, DVD, super-8 or similar.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
The only one I saw from this phase, "Ghosts on the Loose". These films had a very bad distribuition, ever with Lugosi in the cast. Probably almost all dever reached Brazil in those days... And still apeared here in any "incarnation" as VHS, DVD, super-8 or similar.

That's likely very true. As regards, Ghosts on the Loose, at least it featured a very young Ava Gardener, freshly divorced from Mickey Rooney. At some theaters, she was actually billed as Mrs. Mickey Rooney!

martinsantos

Practically Family
Maybe after it could be exibited here... Like one of the very first films of Bogart (do not remember the name in English), from 1931 or 1932. He appears 10 minutes, no more. But 20 years after the movie reapeared with hom as the "star".

That's likely very true. As regards, Ghosts on the Loose, at least it featured a very young Ava Gardener, freshly divorced from Mickey Rooney. At some theaters, she was actually billed as Mrs. Mickey Rooney!

Of the films listed all are ones I have not seen since since i lived in NY, so based on hazy memory i cast my vote.

It would be fun to watch these again in a group setting for sure.

i always wanted to do a Universal Horror Frankenstein festival too.

There is no Plan 9 to vote for. :D

Actually, one film that popped into my head when reading this is "Ed Wood" which does not have Lugsi in it but Rela Lugosi is portrayed very well by Martin Landau. The movie is a comedy, it is sacreligious in a few places, and irreverant but for Lugosi fans it is worth a watch. Christians may need to take extra high blood pressure medication but you can see a bit on the last days of Lugosi.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Just loved that film! It's a film just with the actor's work, very human and pleasant. And the way the director found to get a "happy end" surprised me.

Actually, one film that popped into my head when reading this is "Ed Wood" which does not have Lugsi in it but Rela Lugosi is portrayed very well by Martin Landau. The movie is a comedy, it is sacreligious in a few places, and irreverant but for Lugosi fans it is worth a watch. Christians may need to take extra high blood pressure medication but you can see a bit on the last days of Lugosi.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

Except that in the film, Lugosi is heard to curse very often, something decried by those who knew him. Also, he is seen to be hateful of Karloff, again something which appears to have no proof of fact. I do like (and have a copy of) the film, though, despite other "editorial" revisions...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass