Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll - How old...?

Ken

A-List Customer
Oh man you really are lucky for things like this in the UK. The town where I live, I would say over 50% of the housing is turn of the century.

Ken

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
I live at home with my folks, because my dad, a WWII Air Corp Vet, has alzeheimers now and my mother needs help with him. We live in the house that he built back in the early 50s. It is a ranch style house made from masonite block instead of the regular brick. It looks like brick, but is approx 3 time longer and 1 1/2 wider than regular brick. He painted it brown. My room is on the Southeast side of the house and it is too cold in winter and too hot in summer.

GG

Dragon Soldier

One of the Regulars
Victorian.... But then a lot of Belfast is that old, or older.

I live in a short terrace of three houses. Originally there were two, built as semis for the sons of a local well-to-do. My house was built later, when the third son returned from overseas, it had to fit into the remaining space and so it's a bit odd in shape. Being quite narrow and tall rather than short and wide like the others.

Just about to have some major renovations done, hasn't seen much work in at least the last 50 years.

cneil

Familiar Face
1954 Suburban Track House on Raised Foundation.

My House was Built in 1954, it was maintained but not up-dated. So I have a standard 1950?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s House. Real Hard wood floors thru out, except the kitchen and the bath witch have Grey Battleship Linoleum on the Floor.
SanitSteel Cabinets in the Kitchen (So old and out they are now back in again)
Yellow tile with Black tile trim in the Bath.
Real red brick fireplace in the Living room.
Wall Furnace for heat.
When I first bought the House people said, you are going to up date it, I said No, you do not fight a house with such strong character. You work with it.

If anything I have backdated it.
Persian throe rugs, Chippendale Chairs, Scottish Sword and crest on the wall, a old Thompson Cathedral Radio, a 1932 GE Fan, a 1913 Pathe Record Player?¢‚Ǩ¬¶.
A Large Art Deco Mirror over the Fireplace..

A large wood table in the Dining room and Silver Candle stick on the mantel and the table.

All meant to help with a more elegant lifestyle

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Well, I have never lived in a chicken coop, but have lived twice in basement apartments, or at least basements that were remodled into apartments. One in NYC, another in Iowa.

Actually, I liked it -- in the summer, I did not need air conditioning, nor was I as fearful during tornado watches. And the price was right -- cheap.

karol

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Cottage of Contentment

Ours was built around WW1, we think. Oaky-Craftsmany inside, including glass door bookcases flanking the fireplace. It is an American Foursquare, the most common pre-war house design seen in the US. Foursquares often have a dormer window at the front; ours does not.

house.jpg

housea.jpg

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
Glad I started this thread - it has been an interesting one! Guess I should contribute an answer as well. House is 1890, surrounded by huge old live oak trees and dripping Spanish moss. Our area of town is called the Garden District altho I have to say we probably score low on the gardening scale. Summer place is 1840's - both of which have had several metamorphases. Old houses are complex and frustrating at times but when I see these subdivisions built on clear-cut framlands astride an interstate highway, I'm very glad I'm vintage oriented!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, as for my house, it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a toss up! I have really no idea (and neither does the city of Monrovia) on the age of my place. It turns out that there is no record of this place ever being built in City Hall! The file could have been lost over the years because Monrovia was so smart in tearing down the beautiful original granite City Hall to build a new one in the late 1950?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s that looks like a flat ugly modern mess with no charm or caricature! Any way, when they moved all the records, it may have been lost in the chaos.

My guess is that it was built in the early 20?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s at the latest. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a small two bedroom farm house that is kind of crooked as Matt Deckard could tell ya.

It had it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s original windows on the front of the house but, a few years ago the Landlord thought it was time to put in those ugly aluminum sliding storm windows EEEWW!

Any way, it has hard wood floors and the original cabinets in the kitchen. So, it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s not all that bad.

=WR=

PS. I liked that last photo and aged it to see what it looked like when new!
house4fx.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
The flag? Oh brother, you're not going to get me on that small technicality! :p

If you can find a good photo of a 48 star job in that same pose, go for it!;)

It's alway something isn't it!

=WR=

This better?

house7jk.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hahaha, yeah. Well, check it out, I post it again. I had to go in and clear the field and put the stars in the right place. I did it just for you Shamus! It's at the bottom of page two.

=WR=

jake431

Practically Family
I live in a 1600 sq ft apartment in a building built in 1928 - as a co-op; there has been only minimal remodeling. The first building in Chicago build from the ground up as s Co-op. It's right across the street from a park, and there is no street in front of it - the city was (basically) bribed not to put it through so I have a street address, but no street. Very nice for my two year old though - it's like a yard without habving to mow it!

-Jake

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I'm in a 15' x 30' 1940s vacation cabin. Studio setup, living area in the front, kitchen in the rear, small bathroom and a tiny closet. Hardwood flooring in the living area, 1" tile in the bathroom and kitchen. Art deco white enameled steel and chrome counter in the kitchen, deco sink in the bathroom. All wood construction. Modern furnace, stove and fridge.

Not bad, but cold as hell in the winter. No insulation, so the heat goes right through the roof and sucks in the cold through the floor. I bundle up when it gets cold.

I have pictures somewhere...

Alpine Glamour

New in Town
Rustic kind of vintage...

I live in a house that nobody really knows when it was built. The barn dates to 1850, so my guess it is about the same age. But old houses here in the mountains look radically different from yours on the other side of the atlantic. THis one is wooden on the outside and inside, we do not have ANY white walls and the ceilings are very low. I find it charming and very cozy. Here two pictures..summer and winter.

http://ch.msnusers.com/m3m445q74h28ag8amp6no3vfq6/Dokumente/Bilder/little house.jpg
http://ch.msnusers.com/m3m445q74h28ag8amp6no3vfq6/Dokumente/Bilder/fieldsnow.jpg

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I live in the 'Historic District' of this small town. Everything dates from late-18th to early 20th century. I live in a townhouse that was built in the late 1890s, but just a few addresses down a home has one of those metal plates on it that states 'Lincoln slept here' or something like that. Right across the street are some old slave quarters converted into studio apartments. A few blocks a way is the site of an old tavern where apparently a young George Washington and Ben Franklin would do some imbibing. The town was pretty stagnant...as growth is concerned...until the 1960s so there aren't many craftsman, Edwardian or art deco structures. My furnishings may not match the architecture, though.

W.jpg

livingroom1copy.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Quigley Brown, love what you have done to the place! That radio and arm chair is perfect! Heck, everything is!

Log home? Oh man, that was one of my favorite styles when I was a kid! Still like them today!

Very nice indeed!

=WR=

Apparently my house is called the King's Manor Annex. Pretty fancy name for a place across the road from a mental health centre :p

Abominable extension can be seen subsiding into the distance ... And we have the porch!!!

The leaves in front of the house are from a tree that was ripped out of the ground by a mini-tornado a couple of years ago. Thank god the house is built of brick - unlike the majority of the places in this town.

418nm.jpg

bk

Naama

Practically Family
I live in a flat, in a house from the 30's. But it really doesn't look interesting or good in any way...... But it's cheap for it's size and my parent's pay for it :p I have to commit I would rather like to live in a house from the 19th century or so, I somehow prefer them over 20/30ths buildings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy