Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
I normally use Murray's Hair-Glo - it's a soft, light-hold (by Murray's standard), which means the hold is perfectly strong. It also washes out reasonably easy, easier than the other pomades I've used in the past. And the can design is uuber-cool: http://www.amazon.com/Murrays-Hair-...8&qid=1370220230&sr=8-1&keywords=murray's+glo

( Sometimes I'll use Royal Crown, but only if I need a stronger hold than Murray's Hair-Glo can provide. Or if I feel like smelling of vanilla.:D )

I have the exact same hair type as Chet Baker. What do I need to use to achieve the high hold but also pliability of his hair? I will post pictures as refereferences to what I want.
chet-baker.jpg
Mulligan.jpg ChetBaker_th.jpg

DamianM

Vendor
Ha I wasn't answering your question but you can if you choose you can try it.
I apply the Murray's throughout my hair after its a little damp.try to get it to the roots as much as you can, If you like you can lightly blow dry to melt the wax well into your hair and it really gets pliable. I then add a good amount of dax and apply just the same( dont blowdry)
Comb it through and style.

or just use murrays (blow dry) then add tres flores for shine. Because it really shines with tres flores.

Last edited:

JonnyO

A-List Customer
Alright, here is a question for you pomade pros, I have been growing my hair out to get it cut into the Executive Contour style. Clearly once I get the cut I will need a pomade. Now here is my problem, I'm very physically active and will need something that can survive having either a fire helmet or hockey helmet on it for a few hours at a time and survive the sweat. Also, will high heat cause any issues. Does anyone have suggestions for a good pomade?

DamianM

Vendor
Well you can get a strong pomade (murrays) or apply a weak one after you are done.

Any heat applied to most pomades make them pliable and also runny.
So if you are active and apply the heat on your hair it might actually clog your pores and make you loose hair, make you sweat more and have a runny waxy face.
at least in my experience

Haven't tried it but it says it doesn't run or have those problems I mentioned

DAPPER-MAN (The gentlemen's pomade) <<< look it up

Last edited:

JonnyO

A-List Customer
Damian, thank you for the suggestion. I looked it up and it seems pretty impressive. I especially like the fact that it doesnt include any petroleum based ingredients. I'll have to order some. Has anyone on here used it before?

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
Alright, here is a question for you pomade pros, I have been growing my hair out to get it cut into the Executive Contour style. Clearly once I get the cut I will need a pomade. Now here is my problem, I'm very physically active and will need something that can survive having either a fire helmet or hockey helmet on it for a few hours at a time and survive the sweat. Also, will high heat cause any issues. Does anyone have suggestions for a good pomade?

What hairtype do you have? And could you please show me your hairstyle in a picture?
If you want it to stay, with sweat, it needs to be oil-based. I prefer a softer oil-based pomade, because it helps your hair lay combed rather than forcing it. As you remove a helmet or a hat, there will be some dents in it. But that is easily fixed by one comb stroke on either side.

Stewart Field

New in Town
I use Murray's daily and never had a problem. I have fine hair so I only use the tiniest amount and rub it into my hands for about 20 seconds before drawing my fingers through my hair. If I use too much, my hair becomes heavy and wet looking, just the right amount and it stays in place without the weight. Using as little as I do, there is the tendency for it to blow around in the wind but as the pomade is flexible (unlike gel), I can brush or comb it back into place.

JonnyO

A-List Customer
I ordered a thing of Dapper Man Vintage today, my hair isn't long enough to get cut into the Executive Contour style, but it is long enough to use a pomade. I look forward to seeing how the product works with my lifestyle before I go getting my hair cut. I'll report back with my findings.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
I tend to alternate between Hackett's own brand (which is quite waxy), Pluko Black & White (lovely coconut smell) and Yardley's English Lavender Brilliantene, although I tend to save the latter for formal evening use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points