Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
As do I, it's been a decade. People wouldn't recognize me!

Thats more true than most people realize. When I don't slick mine its much lighter in color and people are like what happened to your hair, did you lighten it?? I tell you I have been a real big fan of groom and clean it does a good job of making my hair color darker/shinier and hides the grays well. I have also been enjoying the New Murrays Lucky 13 "TruHold, I found mixing this one with Royal Crown or Brylcreem gives a strong hold and a very high shine

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thats more true than most people realize. When I don't slick mine its much lighter in color and people are like what happened to your hair, did you lighten it?? I tell you I have been a real big fan of groom and clean it does a good job of making my hair color darker/shinier and hides the grays well. I have also been enjoying the New Murrays Lucky 13 "TruHold, I found mixing this one with Royal Crown or Brylcreem gives a strong hold and a very high shine

The same thing happens to me, actually. Maybe it's normal when using pomade or oil based products, but today I didn't have anything up there, and my parents almost didn't recognize me when we met at my campus' administration building. It was just parted off-center towards the left, and swayed to the sides a bit. Anyway, when I use my products (Royal Crown, Brylcreem, Dax Wave & Groom), my hair assumes a darker brown color, sometimes more of my blond hair is apparent at other times. In the sunlight though, my hair can still look sort of a bright gold, while indoors, it looks dark brown again. Yet, looking at President Nixon's hair, I'd say that he most likely used an oil-based product, something more like Brylcreem, or Vitalis, Wildroot, etc. With regard to President Kennedy's hair, he looks like he used less product, but something's still there to hold it in place, and I'm not sure if it was hairspray, as I was under the assumption that for men, it became popular in the early '70s. JFK might have been a Brylcreem or Vitalis user himself, in moderate amounts.

I was going to ask though, when exactly did Gillette's Dry Look hairspray come out? What year, does anybody know? This product almost represented the entire transition from the old school "wet look" to the drier styles that have remained popular to this day. I'd like to know when such a cultural shift began to take place. I know that The Beatles were early dry look (not product but style) trend setters, back in the mid 1960s.

Naturally, my hair is a very light brown, but with Pomade in it, it's black. People just assume I have very dark hair, then again, nobody's seen me without a Pomade of some sort in my hair since I was in the 5th grade lol

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
I was at the local drug store today and decided to take the plunge and buy yet another can of pomade to try today. I took the plunge and went for a can of the Classic Royal Crown Pomade and also a can of the Royal Crown Hair Dressing. I put in some of the hair dressing over my pomade I use for hold and WOW, we are talking some serious shine. I noticed though after i got home and relaxed that it left a mark on my leather chair, this stuff is a bit greasy but I really dig the shine...

Jan

One of the Regulars
It's VERY greasy. Which is why it's great as a top coat.

I never realized the difference between the pomade and the hair dressing, until I bought the pomade a little while back. I kind of like it, but I kind of don't. If I only had straight hair, rather than wavy...

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
It's VERY greasy. Which is why it's great as a top coat.

I never realized the difference between the pomade and the hair dressing, until I bought the pomade a little while back. I kind of like it, but I kind of don't. If I only had straight hair, rather than wavy...

Yeah there is a difference in thickness and the scent. I didnt dig the scent coming out of the can when I applied the hairdressing but it seemed to mellow once applied.... Yeah my hair looked like a black leather jacket after I combed it in. You are right Jan- its an excellent topcoat.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I've recently rediscovered Groom and Clean and I quite like it. I used to use it when I was a kid in 3rd and 4th grades as I recall and up until maybe the 6th grade.
The scent is exactly as I remember it, and the familiar blue color and gel -like consistency. Seems it has been updated at some point though, as it does not give as wet a look as I remember I used to have with it. Or maybe I use less now than I did back then?
In any case, it does indeed darken my hair a bit and does not weigh my hair down like some pomades. My hair actually has a bit of "spring" to it with the Groom and Clean, as opposed to looking plastered down. It's inexpensive compared to many other products too.

IndianaWay

New in Town
Re: G&C making hair look darker - I've been using Groom & Clean for a couple of years (as time has gone on gradually going for a little more "slick" look) - a few weeks ago I saw someone I hadn't seen for several years and was asked if I dyed my hair. I've been keeping a short, tapered back and sides and find that after about 2 weeks or so it's time for a trip back to the barber shop. It doesn't take much G&C to control hair (and keep it looking dark!) while it's short. :)

Slim Tim

New in Town
I'm starting to run low on the current stuff I have so I've been thinking of trying out something new. Right now the top three contenders are Brylcreem, Suave Groom & Clean, or Dapper-man.

Right now I'm leaning towards G&C because of the price and some of the recommendations, but both Brylcreem and Dapper-man have retro appeal.(I'm a sucker for the art-deco style label on Dapper-man) What I'm looking for is something that lasts all day with a decent hold. I generally wear my hair short so it doesn't need to have a cement hold. Shine and hat-wearing compatibility are also pretty important, and from what I hear, Brylcreem is pretty good in those regards.

So, recommendations?

I've tried Groom n Clean and Brylcreem and much prefer Brylcreem, especially if you have short hair. Its hold is pretty good. I have longer, thick hair and it does good by me, the shine is great with hat-wearing as well.

I'm starting to run low on the current stuff I have so I've been thinking of trying out something new. Right now the top three contenders are Brylcreem, Suave Groom & Clean, or Dapper-man.

Right now I'm leaning towards G&C because of the price and some of the recommendations, but both Brylcreem and Dapper-man have retro appeal.(I'm a sucker for the art-deco style label on Dapper-man) What I'm looking for is something that lasts all day with a decent hold. I generally wear my hair short so it doesn't need to have a cement hold. Shine and hat-wearing compatibility are also pretty important, and from what I hear, Brylcreem is pretty good in those regards.

So, recommendations?

Jan

One of the Regulars
I'll have a recommendation within the week ;). I'd like to get all the information, before sharing the goods! And trust me, it's a good one, too!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
While it's not a look too many go for around these parts, whenever I do a middle parted "curtain" hairstyle, involving some of the bangs or fringe loosely hanging around the sides of the forehead, I tend to use just a little dab of Brylcreem to spread across all of my hair, and I finish it off with a bit of Royal Crown pomade for the front so that it stays in place for the most part, but not too much so as to make it too stiff. Apparently, this style for me is pretty easy to maintain, and get together when I'm waking up one morning, getting ready for school.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
I've recently rediscovered Groom and Clean and I quite like it. I used to use it when I was a kid in 3rd and 4th grades as I recall and up until maybe the 6th grade.
The scent is exactly as I remember it, and the familiar blue color and gel -like consistency. Seems it has been updated at some point though, as it does not give as wet a look as I remember I used to have with it. Or maybe I use less now than I did back then?
In any case, it does indeed darken my hair a bit and does not weigh my hair down like some pomades. My hair actually has a bit of "spring" to it with the Groom and Clean, as opposed to looking plastered down. It's inexpensive compared to many other products too.

Major, I am a Groom and Clean user too and my dad used it on me when I was little and then it was a expected requirement for me to use it till about 9th grade- being a preachers son I was expected to stay clean cut. I don't think they have changed the formula as far as I know, in my case I think I just used more back then, especially when it was church time, my dad would slather it on to knock down my cowlick- I just use more now when I want a really "wet look", it is great stuff and I like the old time spice it has too it

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars

So, recommendations?

Tim, I think you will find Groom and Clean to be the most hat friendly, depending on how much you use. It is not as greasy as Brylcreem and washes out alot easier, I find it to be just about as shiny as BC, especially if you use more. Also Groom and Clean works best if applied to damp hair- just a personal recommendation

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up

So, recommendations?
I like to use the Groom and Clean with a bit of Dapper Man, or American Crew pomade to add a little more hold and more shine. I wash my hair every other day and on the 2nd day I just use a bit of Groom and Clean to touch it up a bit.
I've found that too much of anything though, no matter how well it works is a bad thing,..that just leaves my hair greasy and stringy looking. :( Not a good look.
There are a lot of factors that determine which product(s) are right for any individual's hair, so it takes some experimentation to see just what will give you the results you desire for your own hair type, texture, etc.
I imagine most of us have at least a half dozen different pomades,gels, or whatever on a shelf in our bathrooms? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails