Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Hair Control

I have been using that American Crew hair cream - the green stuff- and it is fantastic and does not dry the scalp or look unnatural. Their shampoo and conditioner is fantastic too - very popular Down Under now.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Hmm - I'm currently using Crew pomade. Perhaps I'll have to give another one a try! But, I'm only using small amounts at the moment. so I haven't run into the issues mentioned, and the jar I just opened will probably last me a year or more.

Chanfan said:
Hmm - I'm currently using Crew pomade. Perhaps I'll have to give another one a try! But, I'm only using small amounts at the moment. so I haven't run into the issues mentioned, and the jar I just opened will probably last me a year or more.

I must not be using enough either as I have not had any of those problems either. The jar only lasts me about three months though. I suppose my hair may not be unruly enough for higher hold products though. [huh]

Regards,

J

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I used Crew for a long while (brown plastic circular can) and it seemed to work fine and also washed out easily with shampoo. Nor did I dislike the smell. I used Tres Flores a few times and it just wouldn't wash out -- you needed several shampooings and I can't hang with that. I want the pores on my scalp to breathe. Now I just keep the hair so short there's no goo at all! It's wonderful in the heat to have no goo in your hair.

When I was a punk rocker 20 years ago, I used to spike my Mohawk with egg whites. That kept it up for a day or so. I also tried Aqua Net Extra Super Hold, a horrible fake smell but it worked. The most hardcore was Knox Unflavored Gelatin. It would stay up for a week. I had to sleep on the side of my head. I'd take showers but not wash it out for that whole week.

I don't think that would fly nowadays.

Psykik

New in Town
I have long hair and need to use some sort of hair care product so that my hair doesn't curl up and become a bird's nest. For most days, the American Crew firm hold gel, or Nexxus Exxtra Gel with some hair spray to hold it does the trick.

For those special occasions, I do break out the pomades.

The American Crew Pomade is easy to wash out. Again, a hit of hair spray on the ends helps a bit.

The Murray's works great, but it is a commitment since it doesn't wash out so easily (or washes off of the hands very easily too). If it gets close to your forehead, it can leave a nice shine.

I haven't tried the others.

In the end, I grab either the Crew or the Murray's, but I need to be willing to make the extra commitment with the Murray's.

Like many of you, I am open for new ideas in this area, so I will be reading on with great interest.

Be well,
Rob

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
Well folks, looks like I'll be sticking with Murray's after all. My hair is really thick so (as per the suggestion on the can) I am going to try to mix it with Murray's Hair Glo this week just to see what happens. The American Crew turned out to be WAY shinier than Murray's but lacking in the holding power needed to tame my mop... It looked like I had dipped my head into a vat of clear gelatin...sick! The Royal Crown smells really bad to me, so I don't even want to try it. I'll let yall know how the Murray's + Hair Glo works out!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
6StringShooter said:
Well folks, looks like I'll be sticking with Murray's after all. My hair is really thick so (as per the suggestion on the can) I am going to try to mix it with Murray's Hair Glo this week just to see what happens. The American Crew turned out to be WAY shinier than Murray's but lacking in the holding power needed to tame my mop... It looked like I had dipped my head into a vat of clear gelatin...sick! The Royal Crown smells really bad to me, so I don't even want to try it. I'll let yall know how the Murray's + Hair Glo works out!

If Crew pomade didn't tame you, you must be seriously curly. Remember you can always straighten it chemically. But maybe you're just fine the way you are. Please post photos.

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
With Murray's... you can wash it out ,it requires hand soap. Repeatedly.

If it is too stiff to work in at first use a hairdrier to loosen it up and then apply.

If you think Murrays dosen't hold enough, use Dax in the red can.

Jerome

FredDairy

Familiar Face
Murray's is just murder on the hair. You've really gotta have a head of thick full hair to use that stuff. I was a big pomade guy for awhile. When I went to memphis I went to the more soul side of town and got every brand of pomade imaginable. Recently I've gone back to the men's aisle at walgreens and I'm sticking with gels hairsprays and other "greases" from that aisle like brylcreem or groom and clean.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Reading about all this greasy kid stuff and chemical reactions is really scary! :eek:
Is it my imagination, or did guys tend to go bald much earlier back in the days of wanton hair-goop promiscuity?
All that grease and wax and goodness-knows-what on one's scalp day in and day out,... must have had an adverse effect?

I think I'll stick to modern gels for a little bit of control,...and for those particularly hot and humid summer days when one's hair has a mind of it's own, I'll just use good old-fashioned, all-natural Crisco just like Alfalfa used to use. lol

FredDairy

Familiar Face
FredDairy said:
Murray's is just murder on the hair. You've really gotta have a head of thick full hair to use that stuff. I was a big pomade guy for awhile. When I went to memphis I went to the more soul side of town and got every brand of pomade imaginable. Recently I've gone back to the men's aisle at walgreens and I'm sticking with gels hairsprays and other "greases" from that aisle like brylcreem or groom and clean.

Seems like a lot of men kept their hair on their heads longer from the 20s, 30s and 40s. I see alot of old men with brylcreemed heads walking around and that stuff's just as greasy and pore clogging as any pomade. I'd be more worried about the steriods in the meats we eat today than the hair products. However, my Grandpa is 95 and has been bald since 1940 so I guess if it's going to happen it's going to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy