Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Popular songs from 1930-1940s

davidraphael

Practically Family
Privyet!

You can pick almost any recording of songs by Cole Porter, the Gershwins, Hoagy Carmichael et al

Here are some popular cross-genre favourites (off the top of my head):
Paper Moon
Happy Days are here Again
Body and Soul
Stardust
Falling in Love Again
Goodnight Sweetheart
Life is just a Bowl of Cherries
As Time Goes By
Anything Goes
Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen
Sleepy Time Down South
You're As Pretty As A Picture
It Don't Mean a Thing if it ain't got that Swing
Love is the Sweetest Thing
Moonlight Serenade
Mad Dogs and Englishmen
Two Sleepy people
Skylark
Blue Moon
Smoke Gets in your Eyes
Life Begins at Oxford Circus
Sing Song Girl
Sing Sing Sing
Night and Day
Caravan
Lady be Good
Whispering
I'll see you in my dreams
Roll along Prairie Moon
Indian Love Call
Okay Toots
Pennies From Heaven
On the Sunny Side of the Street
It Happened in Monterey
In a Mellotone

Is gorbushka still open in Moscow? I picked up dozens on 1930s cds there. They had more selection of British 30s dancebands there than I have ever seen in western europe! Loads of Duke Ellington too, as well non-english European stuff, especially German and French

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You might also take a look in the What Are You Listening To thread -- there are thousands of suggestions there. The 1930s, especially, were the true golden era of the American Popular Song, and it'd be impossible to compile a single definitive list.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Oh, should you ever. A "definitive" list would be 1,000 songs or more, and even then you'd get folks kicking that their favorites were missing. It was a rich era for good quality music - either that or it just attracts lots of cranks. Maybe both!! lol

martinsantos

Practically Family
Kathy, this list would be very very large... And probably a lot of good things would be missing!

You could start with Cole Porter and Gershwin - and just this will give you several days of work! (happilly will be a funny and happy thing to do!) Or start with any well-known orchestra, like Tommy Dorsey or Glenn Miller or Artie Shaw - probably you will get a good amount of representative songs "in the mood" of that years. (I told Dorsey and Miller because I like them. But there were so many others, as fine as these... In the "What are you Listening" thread you will find some others very interesting).

Hi, everyone!
What were the popular songs from 1930s-1940s? Would you recommend some?
Thanks,
Kathy

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You could start with the single most sublime record of the decade: Fred Astaire's 1936 Brunswick of "The Way You Look Tonight," backed by Johnny Green and his Orchestra -- the definitive recording of the decade's finest song. That one record marks the ineffable peak of American popular music.

Last edited:

Marla

A-List Customer
If you're looking for Russian popular songs from the Golden Era listen to the music of Leonid Utesov whom recorded all the hits of that era. Here and here are just some of his songs.

If you are starting off a collection for yourself, you can find a lot of compellation CD's in a good "Record Store" to get started. Once you are listening and learning what you like you can channel your focus.

There are CD's that may have the most popular songs of a certain year, or ones that are a best of a band or a composer. Some people collect V-Disc CD's which are CD recordings of music recorded to records that were issued to the troops. They had a lot of fine bands and singers on the V-Discs.

If you have the ability to play music through your computer there are websites that have music from eras and styles that you can listen to for free so you can hear and see what you like. Genres such as Swing or Big Band will usually get you music from the 30's and 40's. Try Googling Slacker and Pandora. There are radio stations that stream music & you may find places that list the stations / the genres of music they play. Try Googling Live 365 they have a big list.

Have fun and enjoy the music.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My picks for the Best Songs Of The 1930s --

1. The Way You Look Tonight (Fields-Kern, 1936)
2. Night And Day (Porter, 1934)
3. Body And Soul (Heyman-Green, 1930)
4. (In My) Solitude (DeLange-Mills-Ellington, 1934)
5. I Get A Kick Out Of You (Porter, 1933)
6. Stormy Weather (Koehler-Arlen, 1933)
7. You're The Top (Porter, 1933)
8. All The Things You Are (Kern, 1939)
9. They Can't Take That Away From Me (Gershwin-Gershwin, 1936)
10. Over The Rainbow (Harburg-Arlen, 1939)
11. With Every Breath You Take (Robin-Rainger, 1934)
12. Our Love Is Here To Stay (Gershwin-Gershwin, 1937)
13. I'm In The Mood For Love (Fields-McHugh, 1935)
14. Thanks For The Memory (Robin-Rainger, 1938)
15. I Only Have Eyes For You (Dubin-Warren, 1934)
16. Brother, Can You Spare A Dime? (Harburg-Arlen, 1932)
17. There's A Small Hotel (Rodgers-Hart, 1936)
18. Too Marvelous For Words (Mercer-Whiting, 1937)
19. Isn't This A Lovely Day? (Berlin, 1935)
20. You're Getting To Be A Habit With Me (Dubin-Warren, 1932)
21. Let's Put Our Heads Together (Harburg-Arlen, 1937)
22. Two Sleepy People (Loesser-Carmichael, 1938)
23. It's Only A Paper Moon (Harburg, Rose and Arlen, 1933)
24. Why Shouldn't I? (Porter, 1935)
25. Did You Ever See A Dream Walking? (Gordon-Revel, 1933)

Last edited:

Katue

Familiar Face
Davidraphel, hey! thanks for the songs!
Thanks everyone!
David, When did you go to Moscow? Yes, Gorbushka is still opened. I'm planning to go there and by some CD for myself! Thanks for the advice!
Martin, I really liked Cole Porter, thanks!
Lizzie, the "The Way You Look Tonight" is great! I'll definitely listen to all the songs you recommended!

davidraphael

Practically Family
I lived in Moscow a couple of times briefly, the last time in 2008. At Gorbushka you can pick up loads of those mp3 CDs that contain several albums. I picked up everything Duke Ellington recorded between the mid 20s and mid 40s on about 5 or 6 discs. I also picked up many British danceband albums.

Katue

Familiar Face
Great! I look forward to pick several CDs for myself at Gorbushka!
And did you like Moscow? Personally I don't. I'd do anything to move to Europe, Australlia or the USA. :)

davidraphael

Practically Family
I have to admit that I did not like Moscow at all. No one I know likes Moscow, in fact. It's a tough, hard city.
I preferred Odessa when I was down in the Ukraine. I think next time I'm in Russia I will try St. Petersburg (I also have an invite to Siberia, so maybe I will try there, too!).

I have also lived in mainland Europe, the UK and the USA. All have their good sides and bad sides. I've never been to Australia, though I may visit eventually because I have relations there.

Good luck at Gorbushka! I have fond memories and filling my suitcase with cds and dvds! ;)

Dapper Dave

Familiar Face
Just about any song made by Benny Goodman or Artie Shaw ( my hero) where popular. Sing Sing Sing, and non stop flight are my two favorits from these two artist. It also depends on what style of music you like weather its swing or early jazz style. I like the big band sound of these two artist pluse they had an all star crew.

Last edited:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Hi, everyone!
What were the popular songs from 1930s-1940s? Would you recommend some?
Thanks,
Kathy

You know Katue, there is a very famous song, from the 1930s ... i don't know if this song arrived to Russia or not Katue... but many people in the West like it! It's a beautiful song ... a very popular song Katue ... i f you manage to come back to Fedora , please let us know if you like it! :)

[video=youtube;O6PatxcB3lk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6PatxcB3lk[/video]

Last edited:
Another source for music of the time is movie soundtrack CD's. Several that I have are for these movies: the Cotton Club, Public Enemies, The Aviator, and De Lovely. Although they may include some songs too early or a bit later a big chunk are from the era.

Also there are some current bands that are playing in the style of the 1920;s 30's and 40's. The nice thing is since they are recording with new technology the sound is really nice.

Dean Mora, The Beau Hunks, Ondrej Havelka, Vince Giordano and the Night Hawks, and others.

I have found that The Beau Hunks record with Basta Music as the CD company if you go to the Basta Music website they have a number of artists that are doing music of the 30's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21