Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post-Apocalyptic Films of the 80's

Ah the Road Warrior. I still remember seeing the news coverage of the opening in Hollywood. They had wreckage of destroyed vehicles out in front of Mann's Chinese Theater.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors, be a shame to blow it up.

Feraud

Bartender
RIOT said:
Escape from New York comes to mind
That's a good film!

My dream car-
Interceptor.jpg

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, Escape from New York.

Is it post-apoclyptic or merely dystopian?

The Quiet Earth was a good choice too.

This is earlier than 80s, but my 9 year old self loved it: Damnation Alley

Damnation_Alley_1977.jpg

RIOT

Practically Family
Damnation Alley! (70's flick) I remember coming out of the movie theater with my pop and thinking.. "Where's that bug spray??!"

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Growing up in The Bronx, I really dug this one:
A70-4525

Of course you gotta wonder if the Italian filmakers even knew what or where The Bronx was!

RIOT

Practically Family
Xanadu.. cos after seeing that I felt the world was going to spiral down in apocalyptic chaos, luckily it did not! lol

jake_fink said:
And flesh munching roaches. Fun, eh?
Doesn't one of the guys try to hide from them in a car and gets stripped to the bone? Plus I want to say the car is a Pinto, but probably not, just my opion of Pintos. A place where you'd get eaten by flesh eating roaches.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Some good ones I recall:

Testament, starring the excellent actress Jane Alexander. It was I believe a TV movie, but was shown in theatres, too.

Blade Runner -- really well done

The Stand, another TV movie, but I thought a good rendition of my favorite King novel

There was another TV movie done in the mid-80's, which I believe was called The Day After, it was also post-nuclear and had some good scenes, but did not have the emotional impact of Testament.

karol

A.R. McVintage

Blade Runner, while good, isn't post-apocalyptic. It's just set in a world where things have gotten really, really, terrible--not one where mankind has come anywhere close to wiping itself out and there are rogue and violent stragglers trying to survive.

Maguire

Practically Family
blade runner is considered "cyber punk" dystopia i believe.. i forget the other term used for that type of vision of the future.

I love mel gibson and mad max is definitely the best of the 80s post apocalypse films.

I've seen Bronx Warriors (longest movie ever it seems) and have a box set of Italian post apocalyptic movies. Fred Williamson was in nearly all of them. The New Barbarians is definitely the top one of these for absurd, dumb italian exploitation films.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo