Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Thanks for the comments, Scott and Bill.

Agreed. Amazing hat. I'd put it in the dress thread. That felt looks so nice. Did you steam it yet?B

The felt is wonderful and very fresh. What is especially remarkable is how moldable these old hats are. No stiffness whatsoever, yet the felt stays where you put it.

Bill, the photos were after steaming and brushing above the ribbon. The top of the bow was the only place the ribbon was attached to the hat and the bow was pretty cockeyed. I removed it with the intention of re-attaching it with the bow to the side. Tonight I steamed and brushed the hat thoroughly. There is virtually no trace of the ribbon having been there, which makes me think that it might not have been there from the beginning. That hat also came with a very finely woven horsehair band and I just bought another nice one from Randooch. I think I will wear the hat with only a horsehair band for a while and think about the ribbon a little longer. The hat has easily wearable proportions and I think it will wear nicely with a narrow band for the time being.

Scott, tomorrow I will take some better photos and compare to the other black furry Nutria westerns I have. The Sweat LotXXXX stamp timeline puts this hat a little earlier than the Real Nutria Fur westerns and little later than the 1X Nutria with Fray sweatband.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab

Scott, tomorrow I will take some better photos and compare to the other black furry Nutria westerns I have. The Sweat LotXXXX stamp timeline puts this hat a little earlier than the Real Nutria Fur westerns and little later than the 1X Nutria with Fray sweatband.

You have multiple black furry Nutria westerns ?!?!?!

I refuse to feel any guilt over my incoming western hat hoard!

Two appeared in my size in the space of a week or so and I got them both. There was a third at that same time that went higher. I haven't seen another until this one, which I might have missed save for a heads up from a FL friend.

You hunted mightily for those westerns. Enjoy them in good karma.

buler

I'll Lock Up

The felt is wonderful and very fresh. What is especially remarkable is how moldable these old hats are. No stiffness whatsoever, yet the felt stays where you put it.

Bill, the photos were after steaming and brushing above the ribbon. The top of the bow was the only place the ribbon was attached to the hat and the bow was pretty cockeyed. I removed it with the intention of re-attaching it with the bow to the side. Tonight I steamed and brushed the hat thoroughly. There is virtually no trace of the ribbon having been there, which makes me think that it might not have been there from the beginning. That hat also came with a very finely woven horsehair band and I just bought another nice one from Randooch. I think I will wear the hat with only a horsehair band for a while and think about the ribbon a little longer. The hat has easily wearable proportions and I think it will wear nicely with a narrow band for the time being.

I change my vote to the western thread. Especially if you think the ribbon isn't original and your going with a horsehair. Can't wait to see the pics.

B

Alan, Great find with the Stetson Clear Nutria Velour! Looking forward to ribbon / bow alignment.

Lauro, Nice box bow on your Stetson Key Club!

Perry, Your Mallory looks fantastic after the Optimo ribbon restore!

JonnyO

A-List Customer
Dobbs VVL Twenty with Guild Edge. The sweat is cracked all around due to it being stretched by the previous owner but it is still solid.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

howardeye

Practically Family
Great hat! I am having ostrich leather installed on my old Dobbs at Blacksheep Hat Works for $25 thanks to mikespens for posting a picture of his.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Alan, Great find with the Stetson Clear Nutria Velour! Looking forward to ribbon / bow alignment.

Lauro, Nice box bow on your Stetson Key Club!

Perry, Your Mallory looks fantastic after the Optimo ribbon restore!

I agree with Steve, Congrats, Gentlemen.

Dobbs VVL Twenty with Guild Edge. The sweat is cracked all around due to it being stretched by the previous owner but it is still solid.

photo1.jpg

Johnny, the hat looks fantastic from outside. Great find!

howardeye

Practically Family
My new Vintage Open Road purchased from a FL Member and my first wide brim fur fedora. I have never had a crown this high either. Feels different! I will also post in the Open Road Guild for specifics. A modern shot and a vintage blurey shot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183