Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Wanted to see this one up close,but don't know if it's really my color. Dobbs Americana Lord's hat with long hair finish and pheasant band.

photos added:
close up of the band
004wkt.jpg

head on perspective (on head)
005copyk.jpg

better photo for color and texture. you can see some of the moth tracking, too.
007vro.jpg

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Not again !!!

4 weeks from Italy. In a rigid vessel(8x8) wrapped carefully in double layers of foam sheeting and then in heavy plastic, but :eusa_doh:[huh]

P1050587.JPG
P1050586.JPG

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have to be careful about even looking here at most times. I am very sincerely happy for all those good people here that do acquire such great looking hats. However the let down for me is I want to own half the hats or more that get showcased here. It is something I know would not be able to really happen, but I do have to honestly say I would want to own so many of them. Makes me feel like seeing candy in a jar but not allowed to devour one or two. Worse than that. You can also notice when almost everyone posts a picture, the hats seem to really fit that person so well, as if that hat was made for that one person who now owns it, and the pictures look like they belong in a fine magazine. My cameras are currently on strike, my cell phone is only a 5 MP camera, lousy by all standards and I shake worse than a 1942 Buick when I try to take a picture. I could remedy my greedy hat lust by putting one of my nicer hats on before I look here....but then I start thinking of trading or selling and I have to refrain some what.....no matter what, look at all these fantastic hats and who owns them! My Wife sits and silently views this thread, and says someone should gather a great amount of all these pictures and get them published in a "coffee table" size edition of "Worlds Finest Private Hat Collections! If I knew how to do so, and was able to lawfully do that, I would jump on it in a heart beat...(no pun intended).

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Jeff, I like it.. but the band is just... a no for me.

lol I know what you mean, but then again it kind of gives it that "grizzly charm..." Then again [again], it would be a simple change to replace the band with a ribbon if it ever comes to that. Heck I could have you do it, after seeing what you did with that Stetson of yours! ;) I enjoyed your furry lapels today.

I replaced the photos with slightly better ones in the above post.
Oh-- I don't know if this is true of most long hairs, but the nap goes counterclockwise as usual on the top, but the underside nap appears to clearly go clockwise.

Robert, I can't tell if I'm looking at the inside of a flat cap in there, or the outside of a textured crunched-up fedora. Yikes! I'll be anxious to see what new life you bring it.

Last edited:
knoxfineboater1.jpg

rolled sweatband, "ovalized sixteenths" size tag was folded underneath. Later 1930s-40s? John W. Ryan had two stores in NYC - didn't find much mention of them after the mid 1920s. Straw body is drilled for ventilation behind the sweatband. No moisture barrier.

Beautiful! I really like this style of Boater.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Sporting Barbisio Classic

P1050593.JPG
P1050589.JPG
P1050591.JPG

Cut-pile Velour? Wants to return to the fetal position from its package, so needs a real blocking.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Finchley(Chicago) Savoy

P1050617.JPG
P1050613.JPG
P1050618.JPG
P1050619.JPG
P1050623.JPG
P1050626.JPG

A tough one to date. Full 5-3/4" crown and unusual rough finish. Another hat that was stuffed down and needs to firm up and lose the old lines. Charcoal color. Odd weighty dark color felt but linerless and vented sweat. A major Chicago Retailer(Mens Store).

214800-Large.jpg
0310_OMalley_Photo1980.jpg

23 E. Jackson(formerly The Finchley Building 1928)

Streetscapes-A-popup.jpg

Finchley 5th Ave. N.Y. 1924

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I gotta run and pick the kids up from school, but here's a neat thing that just knocked on my door!

Steven Stratton "Genuine Beaver Finish" with hard to see double row of stitching on the brim.

020wkt.jpg

018dx.jpg

017lfm.jpg

022mk.jpg

027ir.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy